What's new

Upgrading to the sat nav system

DuncanM

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hi guys.

This has probably been asked before but here goes.

My 2006 Gen 7 has the fairly standard radio and single cd drive. Is it possible to fit the head unit from a higher spec model with the sat nav?

Many thanks

Yes you can

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk

Not a straight forward upgrade but can be done

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk

No idea why anyone would want to bother IMO, the factory nav system in these older Accords is pants, slow, old, PITA to use. First chance I got rid of mine and put a premium non nav setup in and a double din in the lower section. Never looked back.

i think some models had higher spec head unit without sat nav if that is what you wanting then maybe that is what to look for
but higher spec head unit has power amp and different speakers ?

ScoobyDoo said:
No idea why anyone would want to bother IMO, the factory nav system in these older Accords is pants, slow, old, PITA to use. First chance I got rid of mine and put a premium non nav setup in and a double din in the lower section. Never looked back.
Coupled with the outrageous price of an updated satnav dvd it's a real winner for sure.

It's possible, b ut it's expensive and simply not worth doing on a car that's 11/12 yrs old now... If you've got more money than sense and a desperate desire to make everything look OEM... then go for it.

If however you want a simpler and far cheaper option... then get a kit that plugs into the AUX/CD changer on the rear of the headunit that will give you the ability to stream music, answer calls (if you have the PFL 2006) and use your phones satnav with directions coming over the cars speakers.

You could even upgrade the cars speakers and throw in an amp.. and still save hundreds vs doing the upgrade.

I'm in the rarer position of having the satnav and finding it utterly worthless because Honda decided to stop producing maps for it after 2011.. whilst FL ones on V3 discs are still getting them over 10yrs later... poor old PFL owners got 5yrs and then a nice FU from Honda.

There are kits that work with the satnav system, but they're hard to find and ridiculously priced vs the ones for the non satnav models.. not to mention dodgy UK resellers for the Grom kit who are lying, deceiving tosspots.

I was considering replacing the satnav with a stock headunit and one of these kits... but now can't be bothered. Next car will have a decent BT fitted and I'll stick with my phone/tablet for navigation... It's far superior to any factory unit I've ever used to date.

I see XCarlink do both the Bluetooth option for music and another box for sending video which could mirror phone sat nav. That lot sets you back over £300. How does this compare with Grom... if I could find a decent retailer?

bockersjb said:
I see XCarlink do both the Bluetooth option for music and another box for sending video which could mirror phone sat nav. That lot sets you back over £300. How does this compare with Grom... if I could find a decent retailer?
not know what hackler got but grom been available in uk long time good kit nd good price i no many ppl with it

ppl on this forum have it to
searched in ***les nd found these
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/15199-grom-audio-review/
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/19095-xcarlink-or-grom/
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/21236-grom-audio-vs-parrot/

I have a Grom in my 08 FL, must be in over a year or two now, works flawlessly, streams music, auto answers in phone mode.
It just works well for me.
The USB connection I never used, don't feel I need another USB output as I have an Anker twin USB output in the Cig lighter that can charge two devices at once.

I had a lot of problems with Grom UK too, I found them a bunch of fibbers too, I even complained to the US arm but they are not interested, only interested in $$. if it worked for you great but when you have issue that's when you really find out how good a company is.

Cliffordski said:
Coupled with the outrageous price of an updated satnav dvd it's a real winner for sure.
To true.

I'm not a fan of fiddly plug in devices some mentioned on here to stream etc so I just went the whole hog and put in a nice 2Din unit with a nice big screen when I can see everything clearly without distracting me from driving. Bit of investigative work and patience but worth it as many have commented the install looks factory. Job done.

slimsonic said:
not know what hackler got but grom been available in uk long time good kit nd good price i no many ppl with it

ppl on this forum have it to
searched in ***les nd found these
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/15199-grom-audio-review/
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/19095-xcarlink-or-grom/
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/21236-grom-audio-vs-parrot/
My issue was that the grom kit had a fault, it would reset itself multiple times as you were driving along, I tried to deal with the UK reseller... and that's where the problems began. They're nothing more than a bunch of lying, decietful c**ts... tried to rip me off for more money for a faulty product and tried to refuse my consumer rights. I had to take action to recover my money... But I got it all back.

Grom them selves were very helpful and even sent me a new lead from California to help diagnose the issue... But I had a timescale for the refund process and that was up before it arrived.

I've not slagged of grom, but the UK reseller of their kit who go under the name of mannocks ltd often found as carputer-shop and have a clone of the gromaudio website using the UK web domain instead of the .com one.

ALWAYS... go direct to the maker, and NEVER use the UK reseller.

For the few months I had the grom installed, it worked randomly but the US support was good, I even helped out with some bug testing and made many suggestions to solve issues it had.

One issue the kit had with diesels/satnav systems is that you turn the ignition on and then wait a few seconds for the glow plugs to warm.. during this time the satnav & grom system fires up and connects to bluetooth on your phone. However when you start the car it shuts down the satnav and grom and reboots them... this loses the BT connection and doesn't reconnect... which means you have to manually reconnect it every time.

I suggested they introduce a delay into having the BT connect of 5-10 seconds, but at the point I had sent it back they hadn't bothered.

When it worked, it worked well... Grom are good... carputer-shop are utter w*****s

"My issue was that the grom kit had a fault, it would reset itself multiple times as you were driving along, I tried to deal with the UK reseller... and that's where the problems began. They're nothing more than a bunch of lying, decietful c**ts... tried to rip me off for more money for a faulty product and tried to refuse my consumer rights. I had to take action to recover my money... But I got it all back."

Blimey mate, sounds like exactly the same problem I had! and they told me they never had it before or heard of it. Hmmmmmm. Yes Mannocks/Carputer as I found out when I raised the charge back case with my credit card company as they stopped responding to me after I challenged them. Got my money back in the end too but it was a bitter experience.

Grom US were a bad experience for me too tho, they just backed up their UK partner is what I found.

some ppl like to swear nd heckle they sleep in bed of hair nd nettle
those who use flair nd mettle get ppl to be fair nd settle

i just check that karma site nd it look like marmite
some ppl bite nd some contrite
but mostly it read quite uptigt

humpty dumpty sat on the wall
humpty dumpty had a great fall

too many gin and tonics
gazing into his hydroponics

(terrible I know but I'm no poet unless it's dirty talk with trouble n strife)

hydroponics will be used on mars where alcohol will be fuel not found in bars
that gin nd tonic not clear your head it for toffs at philharmonic
they wear a quaff seek strawberry cough coz it make them go sonic and reach the stars