What's new

Upper display problem and some questions

dafour

Reaction score
Car
Audi A4 Avant B6 TDI
Hi

I'm looking at a 2005 2.4 executive with the 6CD premium sound system (nav?) with 60k miles for around 7k euros.

The current owner says the upper display goes dark sometimes.This is the only thing stopping me from buying it because i don't know how expensive it would be to fix.

Are there people here having experience with this?Is it just a bulb/fuse or do i have to replace the whole part?

I also want to add a usb/aux input to that oem audio,wich one should i get?

I'm very new to the Honda world,been driving VW/Audi for the past 12 years and i want to experience a real NA petrol engine.

Is it the display which shows the temp and CD track ??

If it is then it does seem to be a common issue. Theres a green connector on the rear of the PCB and the solder joints can become dry and cause an intermittent connection. This is what causes it to either flicker or not light up. Not sure if its related to the issue that the seller describes but I it does sound like the issue is somewhat related.

Cant garantee the issue is the dry solder joints but it could be likely.

That display is easy to remove and easily sourced from breakers yards for little money.

Have a read here
http://hondakarma.com/threads/top-console-lcd-display-clock-air-con-radio-flickering-on-or-off.3516/live

Hope it helps

Yep i think that will be the problem,looks like a easy fix. Thanks for the link!

Anymore things i should look out for?

No probs :)

The 2.4 is pretty much bullet proof as they say.
However with any engine, specific the honda vtec ones oil services are a must. Without these regular oil changes these engines can die and some suffer very quickly.
Check for regular oil changes and if you can check what oil has been used. I think its 5w 30 but double check

Alarms are known to play up occasional. Check to see it arms and goes off if you can.

The tail gate i think is auto open and close. Make sure this works as it can be very expensive to repair this feature.

Rear callipers are known to stick and seize. The rear callipers on tourers are not the wind in type but push type (same as front callipers) so have a tendency to size up if the handbrake is used and left on for long periods. tail tail signs would be a accumulation of brake dust on the rear wheels.

Other than the usual checks, all electrics, drive shaft condition, CV joint rubbers. Tyre condition, any knocking whilst going over bumps can indicate worn drop links.

Hope it helps

The best uSB /aux input system - which retains all the OEM controls etc is Xcarlink.

Most of if not all of us on here uses these types of system.

I have the ipod version but you can add bluetooth streaming and handsfree options to it too.
Great bit of kit.

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/home.php?cat=3

Accord_n22 ; thx alot for the points and info,very useful for me!

So i bought the car after a test drive and some inspection.It has the usual scratches and wear but nothing severe.I think it has the Alpine nav. Service records from Honda dealer 0 miles up to now and it's the first owner.
I have a great feeling about the car,feels very new.

Headlights plastic have some foggy haze on them but i will try to polish them.Interior is in mint condition and everything works apart from the small display that works 80% of the time.

I will post some pictures later on because i still need to get the car plated and insured.

My first petrol and Honda so very exited!

Is it the display which shows the temp and CD track ??

If it is then it does seem to be a common issue. Theres a green connector on the rear of the PCB and the solder joints can become dry and cause an intermittent connection. This is what causes it to either flicker or not light up. Not sure if its related to the issue that the seller describes but I it does sound like the issue is somewhat related.

Cant garantee the issue is the dry solder joints but it could be likely.

That display is easy to remove and easily sourced from breakers yards for little money.

Have a read here
http://hondakarma.com/threads/top-c...-air-con-radio-flickering-on-or-off.3516/live

Hope it helps

Hi, have had same problem and a guy on ebay offers a quick guaranteed fix for £35 and claims it is cracks in pcb.... This is a crock of sh**.
I have tried all the usual suggestions, checking for plug intermittency etc but never produced the fault. It just goes blank and a sharp knock on the panel in front of the display restored it temporarily.... As a retired electronics engineer i thought I would check it out and doubted it would be pcb track cracks as no one would be able to turn it around so quick and guarantee it... I took the module out by carefully levering the panel above the display with flexible filler knives used for decorating and carefully removed the two screws securing the display and disconnecting the plug. After removing the display back cover, secured with plastic lugs, I inspected the pcb and no cracks to be seen. Surface mount components and processor visible and no way was this a quick fix of circuit track breaks. There is a long strip of pins coming onto the pcb from the screen side, and soldered to the pcb and having 15-20 pins in a perfect straight line..... And along 8-9 of the pins was solder flux residue remaining from original manufacturing.... I always cleaned this off routinely when i worked on pcb repairs and I did so with these pins. I used a old toothbrush, clean, and isopropyl alcohol(doesn't melt the plastic if touched accidentally) and scrubbed this flux away and made sure it had all evaporated to check the contamination was clear.. Cotton buds can be used to swab it up if required. Reassembled and now never once has it failed,many months later.... It failed and came on again randomly before... Often many times on a short trip but never since.
This explains how it could be a guaranteed repair and quick turnaround too.
It took me 20-30mins tops.

I don't know if car prices are dearer in Belgium but 7k euros seems steep to me?

I do not know about prices of Accords in Belgium.... My thread is about repairing the display intermittency on top display above cd player.

Hi,
I just joined after giving up waiting for Honda Karma to rise from the flames...

Anyway, there was a long thread over there about this fault, with the solution which was the pins in the green plug having dry joints. As this is inaccessible from behind you need to prise the green plastic surround up and re-solder from the ‘wrong’ side.

I have done this on about 10 displays now with success each time. I offered an exchange service on Karma, or am happy to talk through how to do it if someone wants to try themselves.

I can post a display out, you swap it over then post your faulty one back to me when you are happy with £20.

Cheers, Simon.

Hi all, Hi Simon,
if you have this problem, don`t mess about make contact with Simes in Leicester (above member) for £20 he will send you a repaired unit, he fixed mine (ex KARMA member) Perfect and still working fine - Thanks again Simon

Cheers, Jim.

Hi simon, I too finally got the display fixed by easing the green connector sleeve away from the pcb and resoldering the joints from the 'wrong' side of the pcb... ie the side that does not have the printed circuit on it. It is a job for a steady pair of hands and a fine soldering iron bit.... heating the pin and applying thin solder sparingly to base of pin so it flows down pin through the thru plating on the board and remaking the joint. All the pins must be done and then the green plastic shroud on the connector eased back towards the pcb. Reconnect the plug and hey presto....
I have tried various ways and had short term successes but this time it looks like a solid fix. The only good thing is I have become very good at removing the dash cover and accessing the module. I soak tested it partially installed this time for a couple of weeks before fixing into dash properly to avoid having to pull it out again... But I now don't expect it will fail again now. Time only will tell but I am very happy now that it is a good fix.

Hi,
I just joined after giving up waiting for Honda Karma to rise from the flames...

Anyway, there was a long thread over there about this fault, with the solution which was the pins in the green plug having dry joints. As this is inaccessible from behind you need to prise the green plastic surround up and re-solder from the ‘wrong’ side.

I have done this on about 10 displays now with success each time. I offered an exchange service on Karma, or am happy to talk through how to do it if someone wants to try themselves.

I can post a display out, you swap it over then post your faulty one back to me when you are happy with £20.

Cheers, Simon.