What's new

Urgent help needed please

Blong91

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Sport 2.0
Hi all. Having some problems with my accord (04, 2.4 type s).

I've had an ongoing problem with this for a while but it is very intermittent. The radio would go off and on, lights would all flicker, car wouldn't want to start etc. I initially got a new battery and alternator but it is still happening. I think I've narrowed it down to the ground cable of the negative battery terminal.

The bolt which attaches to the metal body of the car just will not tighten, it just spins. This means that it comes loose every so often, giving me issues until I push it back in.

The lead is also looking a bit worse for wear with exposed wiring so it might need replacing too.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Either if it looks like the lead needs replaced, or how I can stop this bolt popping out?

Much appreciated!

IMG_20160205_150610.jpg

IMG_20160205_150616.jpg

See bolt on left. It gets loose and the 'hook' part pops out. This is also a new bolt.

That bolt is a very important connection to all electrics in your car. All electrics in your car are grounded to the car body
From your description that bolt not being tightened is your problem.

Is the threaded bush damaged? i.e. no more thread and the bolt does not tighten up?
Try and source a longer bolt with the same thread type and pitch and perhaps use a nut to fasten it on the underside?

Wire brush the tab and bolt to ensure good clean contact too.

had a similar issue with my prelude. Some gearbox work was done and a ground bolt connecting to the gearbox wasnt tighten and became quite loose. When i hit vtec the cars dash board light flickered and all electrics and the engine just died. Once that bolt was tighten up it was fine

Thanks for the reply. Yeh it seems to be having a big affect on the car. The bigger bolt will need that hook thing too though won't it?

I think a nut behind it would sort things, but I can see any way of getting behind it. Really annoyed by this, my alarm has recently started going off randomly.

Yep the hook tab is required as it gives the surface area required for the return current of all the circuits in the car.
The alarm is going off as the alarm requires a stable voltage supply in order for it to arm correctly, The alarm will also start going off if the battery voltage is dying or low. With your loose connection the voltage levels are probably fluctuating quickly and upsetting the alarm system.

You can try tap a new thread

Yeh that all makes sense. Have you any idea how I could get a nut on to this? Would some strong duct tape over the bolt help when it's in place?

I think the "hook thing" is only to keep the tab from rotating when the bolt is tightened, but if you get a longer bolt (same thread), it would still be there anyway.

You might be able to put some tape onto the thread, it all depends on the surface contact that that tab (the tab with the hook) has on the metalwork.

Getting a nut behind there is going to be difficult.

I doubt if it makes any difference to the engine's power, if there was any effect it would more likely cause very bad/jerky running, but you never know.

Got sorted, thanks for the help. Car is 100% now, seems to have fixed all issues and it pulls a lot better.

My mechanic managed to get a nut in behind it after much swearing lol. Happy days.

Glad you sorted thanks for feedback I was going to say you can put a nut on it or drill and tap a new thread for bolt to go into.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk