What's new

URGENT - Sump Plug

Dave_G

Members
Reaction score
Car
06 Tourer EX CTDi
Can anyone tell me if the sump plug should have a washer fixed to the bolt that won't come off as well as a replaceable sump plug washer?

I'm in the middle of changing the oil and found the original bolt has a washer on which will only unscrew a couple of turns and then sticks.
No other washer was fitted when I removed it, but HH have supplied me with a new washer with my filter kit.

Hi Dave the washer can be changed. It needs to be twisted off.

The washer should come off it might be stuck on due to its nether been changed.
I changed mine on every oil change for good measure.

No there is only the washer and that is loose.

You should get it off by fair means or fowl and use the new washer. there is a "side" to the washer, but I am bugge7ed if I know which one is which,.

If it is a copper washer then it will have become deformed when the bolt was tightened - hence the seal - and because it is deformed that is went it won't come of the bolt now.

Twist it of with some pliers, a bit of pressure and you'll be fine.

Sometimes the washer is stuck to the bolt and isn't even loose, it is actually possible to reuse these because when you put the bolt back in to the sump the washer will return (and seal) exactly where it was originally.

Thanks guys, it started raining so I just cracked on before seeing all your replies.
After looking at it again I decided it needed to come off and managed to twist it off with some pliers.

Good man Dave glad you got it off and now sorted.

Nice one Dave.... squeaky b.um moments like that aren't good. I remember the first time I did my rear discs....and the time my oil filler cap exploded....and the time I tried to bleed my clutch fluid..... :lol: all sorted with the help of TA and its members....

Glad you sorted it yourself though ;)

Yeah it's not good when the car is sat on the drive with no oil in it, it's starting to rain and I need it to get to work in the morning.

Other than that one little hiccup the car is really nice to work on, for a basic service anyway.
Didn't even need to jack it up.
Fuel filter wasn't half as bad as I thought, just wiggled out once the priming bulb bracket had been removed.
Air filter and pollen filter were dead easy.

Sump plug is shiny(hard) side towards bolt.
The trick with the FF is not to tighten the band bracket that holds it so that way next time your just tilt and pull out. takes me 10mins to get the FF out and new in.