What's new

Valve clearance adjustment - is it worth it?

Chriseybaby

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.0 i-Vtec Ex
I have no idea when mine were last done so have been considering this when I get it serviced.

My local Honda will do a minor service and valves for £245 or I can drive 45 minutes and get a different Honda garage to do it all for £169 (I get a work discount with them)

Or the third option is my local Honda will do just an oil and filter change for £70 and stamp the book.

I'm not sure which option to take.

So are you saying your local Honda dealer are stamping service books and not completing all the required jobs.

ChrisG said:
No, they will write 'oil and filter only' in the box and stamp it.
Ok got you.
TBH I would get the valve clearance checked for good measure.

AndyHK said:
What is valve clearance?
Basically Andy its Adjustment of your tappits

I wondered the same thing a while back so i asked a couple of people including a Honda technician and was told not to bother unless there was an obvious problem.

You also get the head gasket changed.... Less likelihood of that failing if you follow manufacturers recommendations. I've just got a Honda to replace mine because it is leaking slightly when this was done less than 20k ago...Honda Happiness

I think you mean rocker gasket

Personally I think it's worth it.

If the gap is too big they clack.

When I checked mine the gap was too small, which apparently is worse for the engine than too big, but there was no clacking noise.

Bottom line is if Honda didn't think it needed doing as part of the regular maintenance routine, they wouldn't have included it as part of that routine, but they have done.

Fair point Cliff. Our K20A9 in the FRV is on over 150k we should probably have it done really.. Sounds sweet though.

Yup, that's the flipside, that in reality most Hondas probably don't have it done, but many still go on to do stellar mileages.

Is there a tool available or guidance on what the clearances should be set to? I'll get my mechanic to do it.

2.0 - intake 0.21-0.25mm, exhaust 0.28-0.32mm

2.4 – intake 0.21-0.25mm, exhaust 0.25-0.29mm

I tried a tool called the ClickAdjust but I found it more trouble than it was worth and easier just using a feeler gauge.

It's a simple enough job , I have a motorcycle that I need to check them every 20 hours!!! . And the accord is the same simple system .. old school locknuts like engines had back in the olden days ..... ... unlike the other motorcycle which requires cam shafts out a set of verniers and a trip to the bike shop to trade , swap or buy shims .