What's new

Valve Clearances - tools, parts and info need

exec

Members
Reaction score
Car
'99 2.0 SE Exec
Hi

So my car is around 2k overdue valve clearances, and the engine has become a noticeably noisier so I think its time they are finally done before something goes bork.

First question is what tools are needed?

Few tools that I have that might be relevant are:

- Torque Wrench - 7-112nm
- Gunson Auto Clik
- Valve nut wrench and feeler gauges
- Various bits of screwdrivers, spanners, wrenches etc

I suspect I need a long extension for the crack?

For the parts do I just need a rocker gasket and some rocker paste?

Also what are the clearances for the F20B?

I'm a total noob to this job so I plan on following guides on youtube, mainly the one by Eric the car guy, is his guide suitable the Accord? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7wI4EtZSaA

Cheers for any help and advice.

I've got a DIY for this, I'll try and post it again (tried last night but too many images and somehow messed the image links up during preview)

Ok done the Howto

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/16845-diy-6th-gen-valve-clearance-howto/

Your rocker cover gasket might be ok, I had already bought one on the ***umption to replace it but I wouldn't have worried about reusing my current one, however as I thought I won't be going near here for a while (little did I know, cylinder leakage test) I replaced it. I think it was about £20, so might be worth buying and forgetting about it.

The liquid gasket I bought was the official Honda one, its crazy money like £50 a tube but I got it for about £17 (must have been a pricing error, although the tube was a bit battered looking so might have been a bit old). I think you can use Honda Bond or Three Bond but have a look into other recommendations as you only use about a pea size amount on the corners of the arc's.

You don't need a long extension for the crank, you could lift the car and reach in with the wheel off with a small one. However being a tool junkie and determining usefulness, cost and speed of a tool I though for a tenner it was a worthy buy (fits right in, also has a wobble end so have some freedom of movement and no need to lift the car). You might want to recheck your clearances say after a week or so just to see how they are first time you do them. I used the extension again when doing the cylinder leakage test, and I'll try it on the gearbox oil drain so overall its a 500mm that sits about but a useful extension nonetheless.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-Expert-13926-2-Inch-Extension/dp/B0001K9PLY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1398858228&sr=8-5&keywords=1%2F2+500mm

EDIT
Forgot to say, its a 1/2" so that might determine your purchase based on the socket you will be using. Then again if you are doing an amazon.COM order from the US at some point in the future, this a useful little set to have and takes up little room in the tool bag but gives maximum flexibilty between rachets, extensions and sockets so stick it on your next order.

http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-4957-Adapter-Reducer-4-Piece/dp/B000NQ4PBG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398858758&sr=8-1&keywords=socket+adaptor

Andy you are a massive legend! B) Can't stress that enough, really appreciate the info and the guide.

I will buy a new gasket, since the car is 15 year old, will treat her to a new one, also will just buy that long extension bar, will save a lot of carrying around of jack and axle stands and having to take wheels off, tenner for convenience. Will just buy third party gasket bond too, £50 is too much, can't imagine their being anything special about it, will do some research and get cheaper one, seen a few in american shops that are are recommended.

Phil - If you go buy the service schedule it is every 27,000 miles or 2 years.

They might not need adjusted, so even if you are a bit nervous just take the rocker cover off, spin the engine at the crank, practice lining up the cam markers then identify your cylinders. Then practice with the feeler gauges you won't do any damage. Also watch some vids about how to feel with the gauge; "slight drag" is the usual description.

If the feeler is not perfectly aligned you can create a feeling of drag when it might actually need tightening down. Its an issue because you are holding the adjuster and locknut (two hands in reality) and also trying to feel with the gauge so its literally a three handed job - I have the Gunson click adjuster but I found the space lacking for it to work on the intake side.

Thanks

This looks like a job on my list of to do. I am pretty sure my car has not had it done in the last two years. I just replaced the gearbox oil for the same reason.

You can use any gasket sealant.. Doesnt need to be "honda" wont make a difference.. Lol

simorfc said:
You can use any gasket sealant.. Doesnt need to be "honda" wont make a difference.. Lol
Am I detecting sarcasm lol, or are you serious about not needing Hondabond?

Superman001 said:
Am I detecting sarcasm lol, or are you serious about not needing Hondabond?
I have done my valves many times. Never replaced the gasket, and always used a regular silicone gasket sealant, never used Hondabond.
It just needs a bit of sealant in the sharp edges near the cam shaft bearings, where the gasket isn't able to reach...

I've not used a generic silicone, just tried to do it with the 'best' one I could but no doubt a generic would be better than none.

Deffo dont need hondabond lol any generic sealant does the exact same job lol

Ended up buying Hondabond as it was only £16 and came next day from Tegiwa on ebay. Really the only thing to look out for with 3rd part gasket would be that it is safe to use on these aluminum engines.

The Honda gasket I used feels like proper rubber when it sets its also very sticky to the surface - I wouldn't say its like a silicone sealant however I am not saying that wouldn't work either.

I put a little bead on an old saucer to see how it behaved and it was difficult to remove once it had set.

hi does doing valve clearances make much of a difference to your car, how do you know if it needs doing

silicone gasket sealant is perfect for the job and works perfect with aluminium heads... I work on cars every day of the week and use just generic stuff and never once had a problem. £16 for sealant is a rip off lol

I know it is very expensive, but am happy to pay that for OEM quality as its not breaking the bank, considering how other reputable 3rd party sealants are around £10-11, the real cheap stuff like £3-4 do not hold sealant very well from the little research I did and do not state if they are safe to use with aluminium.

JAPIMPORT said:
hi does doing valve clearances make much of a difference to your car, how do you know if it needs doing
Yes it will effect things like power, fuel economy, efficiency, and if they are really out they can cause damage to engine parts, that's why they are part of service intervals, i dunnow if there is a specific way of knowing when to do them, but your engine will become noisy if they are out as they lash, mine is a bit tappety on idle at the moment, and it should have been adjusted 2000 miles ago as part of 81k service schedule, but i never got these done!