What's new

Variants of 8th Gen EX

stonesfan

Members
Reaction score
Car
1999 Accord V6 Coupe
Hi

What are the main differences between an 8th Gen EX and an EX GT? Only interested in the petrol versions here.

Can see there is a subtle 'bodykit' on the GT version. Any other factors?

Cheers

GT spec is bodykit - front spoiler and side skirts. Metal pedals also inside, red ambient lighting instead of blue.

Red interior illumination as opposed to blue , alloy gear knob and pedals , hids , not sure what else ......

Looks like they have dropped the ex gt from the line up on the newer models ... Es gt based around a more ' sporty ' theme with the bodykit and alloy pedals etc , but the ex now has all the luxuries heated seats etc the ex gt was a nice mix of both

Does the EX GT include FULL leather interior at all? Presume the ride is the same for EX and GT models?

EX GT has the half leather interior , which personally i find more comfy than the full leather , as far as im aware all the suspension set ups are the same

Adam good advice from the guys.
If your after a 2.4 the EX GT are almost non existent.
I have a EX but added the GT equipment over 2 years.

Yes EX GT with a 2.4 Auto box.

Does seem that the 2.4 is rare in any form for the 8th gen.

Adam there are a few more autos out there than manual so you might find one.

Any particular reason why its so rare? Seems relatively available in the 7th gen. Presume its improved somewhat for the 8th? More power for one. Better MPG?

Good luck with your search adam , like brett says rare as hell due to their ridiculous price when they were new .... But in turn makes them a deecent used buy ... Lot of car for the money .
Are there even any other 8th gen 2.4 s on here apart from your brett ?

because

no one buys 2.4 litre petrol Accords..!

blame the tax/C02/eco warriors/the children...etc etc

I think its down to customers want diesels for MPG and have lower road tax.
There is not a huge market these days for big petrol engines only super cars I'm afraid.
Also Honda has gone down the economy road for cars like hybrid to follow other makes and modals

8thgenfan said:
Good luck with your search adam , like brett says rare as hell due to their ridiculous price when they were new .... But in turn makes them a deecent used buy ... Lot of car for the money .
Are there even any other 8th gen 2.4 s on here apart from your brett ?
yea I got 1 , 2.4 auto 2008 with only 20k

toffee_pie said:
2.4 is not a 'big' engine..

its a sad time to be a motorist.
You know what mate I was about to type exactly the same. Seems to be a good balance for a car of the Honda's size. 2 litre a good engine but when you are used to that torquey V6 its a little underwhelming. Would have thought the 2.4 would return slightly better MPG though.

I believe abroad they do the 8th gen with the same V6 thats in the Legend?

I wana get a legend, but I will be seen as someone with a mental disorder, both in Ireland and the UK, My family will shun me :(

that and I will need several jerry cans of unleaded in the boot but that's another thing.

Hardly any market for new mainstream petrol cars at all anymore ... Petrol now seems to be in the form of a teeny tiny turbo or a hybrid ( lexus ) has anyone had a go in one of those ford ecoboost engines btw ? Given a choice im sure all of us would be blasting around in turboed v6s if the government / eu hadnt of put pay to it ?

Racy Jace said:
The ex has had major issues with rusty sun roofs so check it out if it does have one.
Would this not be something of which Honda would address via warranty? Honda and rust do not sit will together at all. Even the likes of MG Rover and Ford had/have pretty much consigned rust to a thing of the past.

As the boys say, the EX GT model is very rare. Might be better to get an EX and just add the bodykit if you really want to, Holdcroft Honda do some good deals on the parts.

stonesfan said:
Would this not be something of which Honda would address via warranty? Honda and rust do not sit will together at all. Even the likes of MG Rover and Ford had/have pretty much consigned rust to a thing of the past.
Seems its the metal frame the glass sits in, under the rubber seal it rusts. So not the car body, Honda have been let down by a dodgy sunroof supplier. Some have got them replaced under warranty, but out of warranty Honda are less keen.

As Rich says. If you buy a car with a sun roof you'll have to make sure there's no rust or with in warranty.

Putting a body kit on an EX is a good option and easy enough but im not sure if the Costs Out Way the price of just buying an ex gt especially if the insurance goes up as well. If there's no ExGt for sale then adding a body kit is the only option really. Plus there's more chance of getting the car in your ideal colour too.

Racy Jace said:
As Rich says. If you buy a car with a sun roof you'll have to make sure there's no rust or with in warranty.

Putting a body kit on an EX is a good option and easy enough but im not sure if the Costs Out Way the price of just buying an ex gt especially if the insurance goes up as well. If there's no ExGt for sale then adding a body kit is the only option really. Plus there's more chance of getting the car in your ideal colour too.
would regular greasing prevent rusting?

thats what il be doing now regardless because of this thread!

Also Adam there is a huge thing for you the 2.4 only comes with the EX badge not in an ES