What's new

Vibrations

TBRH

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord tourer i-ctdi
Hi all
I'm experiencing alot of vibrations through the steering wheel.
This seems to happen under acceleration only, and it gets worse the harder I put my foot down. If it starts and I back of the gas then reapply gently I don't get any vibrations at all.

I've had all the tyres rebalanced and they are all good, no issues.

Can anyone help please?

Worn driveshaft splines..

How should I check that this is the problem? Will the splines rattle or do I have to take them apart to have a look?

The vibration I'm experiencing is like a high speed oscillation of the steering wheel.

Is this a common problem with accords with 150k on the clock?

It's pretty common Kim, you can try and check for play in the driveshafts but sometimes on these cars you can't easily diagnose it and just need to replace the driveshafts.

Also worth swapping wheels from front to back, just on the off chance that one is warped, they can be balanced but still vibrate.
I had that problem with some wheels I had fitted to the car, swapped back to front and the vibration disappeared.

Yes buckled wheels will cause vibration but this is only happening under engine load which points to driveshafts I would say. Still worth a try

Always try the cheap option first in my view.
I agree its unlikely and it does sound like the D/S issue, where does the wear occur? is it the tripod joint splines or inside the tripod joint itself?

A drive shaft set as priced buy Lings comes to £1345 ouch!!! That would be a harsh pill to swallow on a whim.

I've had someone in work mention engine mounts, is this a possibility? From what I can see, the engine is only suspended on three mounts, could these be a problem?

Kim - honestly it will be your driveshafts, but do try swapping the wheels first. No need to buy new from Honda, a used set should be fine. It's normally the inner spline, but either can be faulty.

Ok when you say inner spline are you referring to the out put spline closest the differential?

You can buy the inner joint separately, this is the part that usually fails. When you strip the inner joint down you will see wear marks on the inner joint.

Driveshaft same was mine when i bought car also was hard to diagnose the problem.Driveshafts on ebay cost around £100 per shaft or get used one they are cheap (£40).