What's new

Video of whine from Gearbox/Driveshaft

metis

Members
Reaction score
Car
08 Accord 2.4 EX
Well, I've had my Accord 2.4 Tourer 2 months and I've had it back to Croydon Honda 3 times about this noise, the 3rd time the service manager sat with me in the car whilst I was driving and pointing out the noise - he said that there was definately not a problem with the car, it was just normal gearbox whine and all cars have their own little noises.

I'm sure there must be something wrong with the car but before I make a final decision I'd love to know if anyone else has this noise and if they think it is normal or not, in particular from anyone with a 2.4 manual.

Below is a youtube vid I make today of the noise - it's related to speed and is like the whine you get when reversing, but it is present in all foward gears and does not relate to engine speed. it's quite high pitched and is most noticable from 35-45mph, where the sound peaks at 45mph. It is also at it's loudest when holding a light throttle to maintain speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sq6h5nGqdk&feature=plcp&context=C4a3ddfeVDvjVQa1PpcFNVL_d-_k13HLLYyakcBWgcO96R0x3-9P8%3D

I love the car but this noise is driving me mad, if there is something wrong then great I can get it sorted whilst still under warranty, but if this is normal then I'll be selling it and going back to a Ford Mondeo - they may be cheaper build quality but it was whisper quiet compared to my Accord :(

If I were you, see another dealer for a second opinion if you have concerns.

I cant comment on the whine as my I-DTEC has its own symphony I'm afraid and will naturally sound nothing like a petrol.

Paul im sure mine dont make this noise as i would have noticed.
The only noise mine makes is if the air con is on after 3k RPM it makes a high pitch sound.
I will be taken it to the dealers shortly.

That's well noisy for the 2.4. My 7th gen is much quieter than that. Get it to a trustworthy garage ASAP mate.

Hi

I'd say that your 2.4 Tourer is damn noisy. Is it an auto? Ours certainly doesn't make a noise like that.

You must to fairly close to us (near M25 J9). If you want to come over and compare noises to ours then let me know.

Tony

agree test drive another, especially with dealer who said its normal,then point out the others don't make a noise... its not a characteristics of the car

doesn't sound normal mate, I would defo get a second opinion as that does not sound good to me.

My 2.2 IDTEC Auto makes a similar noise but at lower speeds.... i ***umed just a normal auto gear box whine but 99% of the time its drowned out by the big sack of spanners (i mean IDTEC) diesel engine!

As all the others have said take it back or try another dealer....... if you have not had the car long then i'm sure honda operate a 'Honda Happiness' promise and should take the car back and exchange it for you!!

Paul my car is a Manuel 2.4 and just checked and it dont make this noise.Get it back to the dealers mate.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the advice, and Tony thanks for the offer of comparing noises. I went to my local Honda dealership yesterday as I'm in Woking not Croydon and went out with someone from service who was very helpful.

He thinks it could be something in the gearbox/gear meshing but it may not be an actual fault, it could be that a coulple of internal components are at the limits of their manufactured tollerence causing the noise, or there could be something wrong in there. The only way to find out is to remove and dismantle the gearbox - but if nothing was found wrong then there would be the issue of who picks up the bill and further investigation/swapping components to isolate the noise.

He said that he would not be happy if he had puchased the car with a noise like that and that my best option might be to pursure a refund or exchange with the dealership as that is what they have had to do in the past when a customer was realy not happy with a car. He took my details and was going to go back to Honda with the issue to see if they were aware of any problems that could cause this. He had not heard of any Accords having this problem before but there was an issue with the 3rd gear meshing on some CRV's.

I've been back in contact wih Croydon Honda and requested a refund or exchange, a refund is not an option but they are happy to look at exchanging the car - they have asked for one last go at fixing the noise though which I've said I'm happy for them to try.

Watch this space.....

Good luck with the exchange - somehow I don't expect that it will be in your favour!

We're just outside Leatherhead - so only a few miles away - let me know if you want to compare cars.

Tony

good luck buddy,stick to your guns and if they do agree to exchange it, make sure its to your spec buddy

Well I found out a bit more today which sheds some light on the problem.

The service guy at Woking Honda caled me back - after enquiring with Honda about any protential known issues nothing came back, however it was pointed out that my car had the offside driveshalf replaced 2 thousand miles ago due to a vibration issue. The last owner got this work done just before the warranty ran out and then sold the car.

I've also got a vibration issue with the car when driving over 60mph - all 4 tyres were replaced due to this but the problem is still there.

It seems likely all my problems are relating to this driveshaft issue, or maybe the driveshalft was not the problem and the last owner just sold it to be rid of it rather than further works?

Either way I'm not happy I had to go to another dealer to find all this out and have seemingly been fobbed off by Croydon Honda - why could they not find this information out? Woking Honda have been extremly helpful as ever and I would highly recommend them.

I'm not interested in getting the car fixed any more, I will be getting it exchanged.

Did I buy a Friday afternoon car?

Well I found out a bit more today which sheds some light on the problem.

The service guy at Woking Honda caled me back - after enquiring with Honda about any protential known issues nothing came back, however it was pointed out that my car had the offside driveshalf replaced 2 thousand miles ago due to a vibration issue. The last owner got this work done just before the warranty ran out and then sold the car.

I've also got a vibration issue with the car when driving over 60mph - all 4 tyres were replaced due to this but the problem is still there.

It seems likely all my problems are relating to this driveshaft issue, or maybe the driveshalft was not the problem and the last owner just sold it to be rid of it rather than further works?

Either way I'm not happy I had to go to another dealer to find all this out and have seemingly been fobbed off by Croydon Honda - why could they not find this information out? Woking Honda have been extremly helpful as ever and I would highly recommend them.

I'm not interested in getting the car fixed any more, I will be getting it exchanged.

Did I buy a Friday afternoon car?
Paul this is very unusual for a K24 to have problems like this.What is the mileage on the car.

Hi Brett,

The driveshalf was replaced at 29,000 miles in Sep 2011, I purchased it from Croydon Honda in late Jan when it was on 31,000 miles.

It's now on 32,000 miles. Woking Honda said they had not heard of a driveshalf going this early on an accord either.

I'm going to try and contact the previous owner if they are willing to talk about the car, I'd like to know what's been going on with it - I won't be wanting to keep it whatever the outcome though!

Cheers,

Hi Brett,

The driveshalf was replaced at 29,000 miles in Sep 2011, I purchased it from Croydon Honda in late Jan when it was on 31,000 miles.

It's now on 32,000 miles. Woking Honda said they had not heard of a driveshalf going this early on an accord either.

I'm going to try and contact the previous owner if they are willing to talk about the car, I'd like to know what's been going on with it - I won't be wanting to keep it whatever the outcome though!

Cheers,
Paul if this is a drivshaft problem then perhaps it wasn't fitted correctly but this does all seem a bit fishy to me.

I'd be very surprised if this isn't linked or that the replacement driveshaft was an attempt to cure the whine. Some sort of accident damage maybe. Still very disappointing from a Honda main dealer.

Are Woking Honda part of Trident? We use Weybridge and they have been fine to deal with.

Tony

PS. Just noticed that you dash has a different layout to our '08 plate, since the centre of the left hand dial on ours has a PND2345 indicator not a LED display. Never an issue but interesting!

left hand dial on ours has a PND2345 indicator not a LED display

Tony, you have an auto like me...... the manuals have an indication display of when best to change gear.

Just a little update - my car is being exchanged for another at the dealership, although it is well out of the 1 month Honda Happiness period and there has not been a specific "fault" found with the car they will still honour it as a goodwill gesture, this means my car will be swapped with another of the same purchase value or higher if I make up the difference (even though I've put 3,000 miles on it!) I've decided on a car and it's all going through - I'm also going back to a diesel so goodbye to the 2.4, it was nice but I think I'm getting old (35!) as I'm now a converted diesel man.

I should get the new accord in a week, happy days and thanks to Croydon Honda, although I was not happy with the car and had problems from the start they have always been polite, decent and have worked with me to find a solution when I kept on at them - it pays to speak up if you not happy :)

Just a little update, I picked up the exchange car today :) very pleased with it - no annoying whine at all and a lovely quiet drive home. taking it easy I saw 53mpg ave from my drive back to woking from Croyden, well chuffed! Shame I didnt get to find the problem with the old car but just glad to see the back of it. A happy Honda owner once again.