What's new

(Video) Squeaking on idle

I would say that the bearungs on your alternator starting to go.
It looks like you have the old aux belt fitted, so your car must be a pre- facelift?

I would advise looking for the threads on here on how to change the aux belt for the new shorter one. (i made a detailed guide)

TheHole said:
I would say that the bearungs on your alternator starting to go.
It looks like you have the old aux belt fitted, so your car must be a pre- facelift?

I would advise looking for the threads on here on how to change the aux belt for the new shorter one. (i made a detailed guide)
Yeah prefacelift, car is an 04.

Is this something to worry about / any idea on price?

You cam buy the revised belt fairly cheaply.
Its shorter and takes a new route. So if your ok with a spanner, itsnota difficult job.
The old revision of the aux belt routing caused unnecessary loading on the bearings of the alternator causing them to wear prematurely and fail. If you catch it early enough then you can keep your current alternator. If it fails like it did on my old car.. Its new alternator as well as belt

The sound of the bearings is the main inducator.
Change the belt & routing. And if the noise still persists then its alternator time. Yours doesnt sound that bad though

Depends on how many miles you do in a few weeks. If you left it for 1000's of miles then yes it wont be great.
But a few hundred should not hurt. Again... Its down to how worn the bearings are now :)

Hi mate, my 2.4 made the same noise when cold. I replaced the belt and tensioner and been fine since. I knew it was the tensioner as I put a little oil on it when running and the squeak disapeared. Parts where from Honda £132 for the tensioner and £41 for the belt. Hope this helps.