What's new

VSA/ABS Check warning

pstruck

Members
Reaction score
Car
2006 Accord 2.4 EX
Over the last couple of weeks my 57k mile 2006 2.4 exec has had an intermittent squeal/rubbing noise from the OSR wheel. I thought this might be something as simple as a bit of twig or stone caught behind the disc back plate, which may fall out eventually. Then yesterday the dash lit up like Blackpool illuminations with a VSA and ABS check warning. This was while driving through stop-start town traffic. The lights didn't come on again when I started this morning, but half way to work, while travelling downhill on a rural B road the warnings lit up again. I also felt the light ABS type brake pedal pulse/vibration a couple of times.

I'm ***uming the squeal/rubbing noise and the warnings are linked.

Would other owners tackle diagnosis and repair themselves, or get it into the garage? I'm also not sure whether to trust a local garage with this, or get it to a main dealer. This is my first fault since buying the car and I'd obviously rather is wasn't too expensive, without skimping being as it's brakes related.

Any advice welcome.

There is a sensor on each wheel which detects a pickup from a toothed wheel to tell the car how fast each wheel is turning or if one has stopped turning etc and will cause the abs to release the brakes on that wheel if needed.

Since your noise started at the osr wheel I would start by looking there but if you are not confident at doing it yourself then any local garage should manage it. Just tell them which wheel had the noise to give them a hand.

Day off tomorrow. If it's dry I'm going to have a poke around and see if I can see anything obvious. Is it easy enough to remove the caliper and disc? Is there a step-by-strp guide anywhere? I'm fairly comfident with a spanner and have done brakes on other cars before, but haven't tinkered with a Honda before.

Very simple to remove calipers/discs. Just two bolts in the carrier (from memory they are 14mm or 12mm) and two small screws in the disc. Best to use an impact driver to remove these to make sure the head doesn't get KO'd, they can be a little stubborn

Had a bit of a poke around today. It would seem that the inner pad has worn right down and there is metal to metal contact. The pads were barely able to move in the sliders, so I guess it was binding and not releasing properly. I cleaned up some of the corrosion on the sliders so that the pads can move now, but new ones are needed anyway which I don't have here now. I'm hing new pads and free movement on the sliders will sort it. Hopefully the disc isn't scored.

Upshot of this VSA/ABS warning was a knackered NSR ABS sensor. This was coincidental to the seized OSR calliper wearing the inboard pad down to the metal. So, new ABS sensor, new calliper, new pads = ABS light out. Hurrah! Now I have another light on the dash though - see separate post.