What's new

VSA coming on after tyre change when cornering

Accord-EX

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 i-CTDI EX
My VSA has been working fine until last week when I put two new tyres on the rear, now when I corner at speeds mainly over 30 mph with little or no throttle, VSA cuts in and I can feel it braking on one front wheel. I do find the car 'boaty' at the rear when moving the steering at motorway speeds but maybe I've got used to my Supra which is very sharp and planted. Any ideas?

Sounds like a wheel sensor playing up.
It might just be dirty or moved slightly.
Have the codes read as it will be stored in the ECU and take the guess work out

It sounds to be that the new tyres are producing more grip therefore cause the vsa to kick in. Usually if a sensor is away it will be present for longer periods. If it flickers on and off in a situation like that, it usually just means it's doing its job.

The VSA kicks in far too early even when the car is nowhere near the limit of sliding. A wheel sensor would sound like the culprit. Ill try get the codes

Also daft I no but check the wheel nuts are tight to 108 n
And tyre pressures are correct.
Iv also no on other makes of cars having part worn tyres and mixed with new can cause problems with the ABS.
Iv not seen it on the accord as yet though.

Pressures were at 32 but I brought them up to 40 just to try it out but same result. I dont suspect alignment as the tyres which came off wore evenly. Ill try removing and refitting the wheels myself just to be sure they are definately fitted correctly

Also worth a try is swap the new rears with the fronts

I cannot see the point of new tyres going on the back with a front wheel drive motor anyway. Unless they are bog standard cheap rubbish unknown make and even then you get what you pay for.

My local tyre place always suggest putting the better tyres on the rear regardless of the drive train. I forget why exactly, but it's about the car's stability I think. But then Honda always pop the better tyres on the front because the cars are FF. So I just don't know!