What's new

VSA light

StuH

Members
Reaction score
Car
Superb Estate 3.6 V6
So I'm driving along and up pops the VSA light with the ! light on. Totally out of the blue and never happened before. I've turned the engine off and on again and it hasn't reappeared but I've not drove it very far. I know this is known on the diesels but mines the 2.4. The front discs are knackered but I don't think that'll have anything to do with it? So, what next, am I going to cry at the bill??

Have you got the ABS light on too or just VSA?

The VSA light stayed 'on' with my Accord last year. The fault was diagnosed as a VSA/ABS modulator fault by local dealer. It meant the whole unit being replaced (£1600 fitted at dealer). The car was out of warranty, but because I had a FSH, Honda agreed to do it at 'cost'. About £650...Ouch! I was told such a fault has never occurred before. Aye...right!

The VSA light stayed 'on' with my Accord last year. The fault was diagnosed as a VSA/ABS modulator fault by local dealer. It meant the whole unit being replaced (£1600 fitted at dealer). The car was out of warranty, but because I had a FSH, Honda agreed to do it at 'cost'. About £650...Ouch! I was told such a fault has never occurred before. Aye...right!

Well if it is the module I simply can't afford to replace it. Funny how I had four years and nearly 80k faultless miles in a Renault Laguna and in a few months of accord ownership I've had numerous problems. Regret swapping to be honest and I won't be getting another.

Feel for you bud :( there will be folk out there saying exactly the opposite! lot of luck involved with motors, there's good and bad with em all.

what was the milage on your accord when they sorted the vsa??
if under 62k iirc honda will give you a refund now

Been out for a good drive and it's not come back on. I'll book it in at my local garage and get them to run the diagnostic and see if anything shows up.

I seriously doubt the VSA module on a petrol will ever fail .. it will be a wheel sensor more like the left rear wheel.

Hope so, will that show up on a diagnostic and how much would you expect it to cost?

Had this happen a couple of times on my 2.4, after an engine restart no light again. Both times were about a year apart & last 1 six months ago. Had forgotten all about it...

Brake switch m8 ;) take it appart and clean the contacts, be careful of the sping in there, the cheapest soultion. If not then perhaps a sensor.

check out TSX forums and do a search

I'm praying you are right on that one Pepste.r
smile.gif
smile.gif
My VSA light started coming on intermittently round about last year in October, an gradually came on more frequently. Then in April the ABS light also started appearing and eventully both remained 'on' despite restarting the engine. So one afternoon last month I dropped in to Peterborough Honda and spoke to a chap at the service desk and explained the problem.

He said that the once the car started showing these lights, it would need a new VSA/ABS module. I argued the it could be one of the sensors. He then offered to have a technician run a diagnostic (without charge) as he didn't want me to "pay" for what he had already told me!! After a short period he returned and said that I had been right, it was the rear right side sensor. So I booked the car in to replace the sensor.

On the day, I dropped off the car and returned about 2hrs later and it was ready. However after picking up the car, I drove about 5 miles around town then the VSA light came back on (with no ABS light), & going 'on' a short while after restarting. I called the garage and they asked to return the car - which I did and they promptly checked it over again. This time he said that this could happen after replacing a sensor, however some 'new software' had been uploaded and should sort out the problem- if not, it would need a new module. I took the car again and this time it managed 20miles before the VSA light came back on. Yep, I was ****ed off. So last week I dropped in again and spoke to the same chap at the service desk, and this time he stood firm and said there would be no point looking at the car again as it would definitely be the module, and said "You could even change all the sensors and it won't make a difference." I still insisted it could be the sensor, perhaps not fitted properly?? Frustrated, I then left not entirely convinced that I got a fair deal, and not really looking forward to coughing up over 1k for a new part as I'm looking to change cars in a years time.
sad.gif

I'm wondering why the initial diagnostic only picked up the sensor fault , but NOT the module?? Did they fit the sensor properly?? Also, why did the follow up diagnostic then show a possible fault with the module?? So right now I'm not sure how I'm gonna sort this out. The car is now on 115k and has been very reliable over the past five years, but this is now kinda spoiling my love for it.

I seriously doubt the VSA module on a petrol will ever fail .. it will be a wheel sensor more like the left rear wheel.

Agree with CJ, don't let the diesel VSA issues cloud the picture here. Two different implementations of VSA and different components. I also think its just a dirty or knackered wheel speed sensor.

Stuart are you sure you haven't by accident let your knee touch/press the VSA switch, hence it coming on, then when you restart it automatically is set to off therefore no light... I have done this a few times in my car while driving....

Stuart are you sure you haven't by accident let your knee touch/press the VSA switch, hence it coming on, then when you restart it automatically is set to off therefore no light... I have done this a few times in my car while driving....

No, it just came on as I was driving, I hadn't moved anything. When I restarted I tried the VSA and when it was off I just had the ! light on, when switched back on that went off. Anyway, my local indy can read the error codes so they're having a gander this morning, also looking at a suspect rear bearing.

Heard back from the garage, the error that's come up is the brake light switch :unsure: , they don't know how much it'll cost. Any advice??

I take it you did not read post.....lol

Just take it apart and give the contacts a clean.it is located just behind the brake pedal. When taking apart be careful of the the spring mounted on push rod.

I think a new one from Honda is less than £20

I take it you did not read post.....lol

Just take it apart and give the contacts a clean.it is located just behind the brake pedal. When taking apart be careful of the the spring mounted on push rod.

I think a new one from Honda is less than £20

You know what Dave, I genuinely missed it :eek: , anyway you were right, lottery numbers?

yh mine has its fazes of coming touch wood it ent been on in about a month but when it did come on let just say coming on 6 times in less than 10 miles is abit anoyin lol but all i do is flick the key and it goes off simples

Heard back from the garage, the error that's come up is the brake light switch :unsure: , they don't know how much it'll cost. Any advice??

U anywhere near london or oxford i can sort u out with parts mate

No, in Lancashire. I'm going to give my local dealer a ring a get a price. Thanks for the offer.

So I'm driving along and up pops the VSA light with the ! light on. Totally out of the blue and never happened before. I've turned the engine off and on again and it hasn't reappeared but I've not drove it very far. I know this is known on the diesels but mines the 2.4. The front discs are knackered but I don't think that'll have anything to do with it? So, what next, am I going to cry at the bill??

This is quite interesting chaps.....ever since I had complete new rear brake calipers/discs/pads etc last Sept, I've always felt something hasn't been right since. I've been periodically having the VSA warning light appear on along with the VSA letters! This has mostly happened when i've been driving along (mainly when I haven't been braking). I've never been happy with the new discs as they haven't rotated as freely - some slight drag / rubbing. I was ***ured that this was ok by my local garage). Then about a month ago I had to have the rear NS wheel bearing changed and whilst it was being re-***embled it was discovered that there could be a "flat spot" on the inside of the disc hub which is dragging on the handbrake shoes - very noticeable when the car is under load thro' the corners! So I'm now wondering 10K later (car has covered 85.5K) if this is causing some upset with the VSA??

I'm having the car re-inspected next week...I would rather have some new brake discs fitted as they are a damn sight cheaper than having some expensive electric components / sensors replaced. Any views on this chaps?

Simon

Simon, I don't really know but if it came on after fitting the new discs then I suppose it's a good ***umption. On the other hand, what you're experiencing is no different to me and the garage is certain it's the brake switch (which I've now ordered).