What's new

VSA Odditiy

zildac

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord i-CTDI EX
Hi All,

I have a quick query regarding a potential VSA problem. I have read a few relevant topics here that cover the faulty VSA unit and replacement (£1500 :-( ) but my issue seems slightly different.
I have a 54 2.2 CTDI with 61K on the clock. I have recently replaced all filters and fluids (barr coolant) using Genuine Honda Parts.

The problem has only happened once a couple of days ago, I was driving on an A-Road at about 75-80 mph and the VSA light started to flash and I felt a slight loss of power as though it had kicked in and was reducing power. It then went off, and did it again about 5 minutes later. I drove about 120 miles yesterday mostly motorway and it didn't happen again. Does anyone have any ideas, is it a sign of impending failure :-( or just 'one of those things' ?

I have only had the car since 5th November and this is the first time it has happened.

Many thanks,

Ross.

Could it be dirt/shyte/slush caused by the recent weather affecting a sensor?

If it comes back I would get it checked out by a Honda garage/expert with the ability to check the VSA modulator and ***ociated sensors - it is not picked up by the regular OBD reader.

Hopefully it is just a hiccup with a sensor.

That doesn't sound like a modulator failure Ross, more the VSA actually simply kicking in.

Could be down to slight loss of grip (even at that speed) either due to hitting a patch of ice or an anomoly in one of your tyres causing the wheel speed sensor to trip... also could be a dirty sensor with all the road salt/grit about at the moment..

I wouldn't worry.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies, I think you could well be right, ie all the gick and crud accumulated from the recent snow and grit etc. I did check tyre pressures this morning and noticed that one of the fronts was 5 psi down (slow leak I guess) maybe this could of had an effect?
I'll keep an eye out for it and see if it re-occurs.

Thanks again!

Ross.

That doesn't sound like a modulator failure Ross, more the VSA actually simply kicking in.

Could be down to slight loss of grip (even at that speed) either due to hitting a patch of ice or an anomoly in one of your tyres causing the wheel speed sensor to trip... also could be a dirty sensor with all the road salt/grit about at the moment..

I wouldn't worry.

Odd tyre pressures may affect it at the extremes of braking and accelerating.

Glad it seems to be OK - keep us posted?

sounds as if its doing its job properly, at least you know it works.

Hi Guys,

Yeah, I guess but I'm pretty sure there was no loss of traction especially twice under no acceleration, I suspect as was mentioned it could have been crud on a sensor or perhaps the tyre pressure difference. Have a set of pentas here that will go on in the spring with new tyres so that should sort the slow puncture :) I'll keep an eye on it and report back.

Thanks for all the input,

Ross.

Sounds like it's actually working, post back to inform us of how it reacts in the future.