What's new

VSA problem sorted?

mutsaip

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4i Type S
For some months now VSA light had been coming on intermittently and gradually much more frequent, until the ABS warning light decided to join in the fun. So it was off to the dealer who diagnosed it as the right rear brake sensor which was then replaced. The lights (ABS & VSA) were no longer showing when I picked up the car from the garage. A few miles of driving shortly afterwards, the VSA light came on again. I took the car back and this time they said the VSA module (£1800) was the cause and would need replacing. This news was hard to swallow, but through this forum my understanding was these units (petrol version) have never been known to fail.

Fortunately, Discodave kindly advised me to check the brake light switch and clean the contacts points as this could be the likely cause of the VSA light coming on. I did this but it didn't seem to do the trick. Every time I used the brakes after starting, the VSA light popped up- the switch was now clearly the culprit. I also noticed that the brake lights were working properly too, and the cruise control was virtually dead.
I bought a brand new brake light switch (£40) from a Honda dealership and fitted it myself, result - no VSA light, brake lights and cruise control all working again. I went out for a drive with no problems for now, so I hope it stays that way. Pleased??...for sure I am now that I don't have to shell out £1800
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Discodave pointed out that this was a known problem: http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686501 . Thanx for sharing that Dave.
wink.gif
This is the culprit: http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee505/Muts_Aii/STP60441.jpg

Great news dude! What dealer mis-diagnosed this fault? We really need to start nailing these sods on this sort of thing!

Fingers crossed this is the end of your problems!!!!

Cheers Dan, it was really stressing me out. I had the diagnosis in Peterborough, Honda. What really annoys me is that one has to deal with the receptionists who I find can be dismissive at times by telling you what they themselves think. I actually disagreed with the chap who wasn't even a technician who had steadfastly insisted the ABS light was due to a faulty ABS/VSA module. Seemingly to prove me wrong, asked me for the keys and had the car diagnosed there and then- without charge. He returned with a different stance- and yes I was right (after all I'm a Type Accord member)
wink.gif
, it was a brake sensor. However when I took it back for the VSA light shortly afterwards, the tone was more of a take it or leave it kinda attitude, and that it could only be a faulty module. I also felt that they could have been more helpful, after all I'm not a corporate client who is just expected to pay what ever is quoted.

Interestingly, when I bought the brake light switch in Harlow on Monday I asked how much it would cost to have them fit it for me- I was quoted £51. I replaced this myself in less than 3 minutes
tongue.gif

Good feedback... I hate it when you get a snotty response from someone without the technical qualifications to change a light bulb.

In defence of Harlow, remember that the hourly rate does have to bear in mind the running costs of the business. My hourly rate might shock some people, but trust me, they won't want to fork out the day to day running costs of my firm either ;).

Good feedback... I hate it when you get a snotty response from someone without the technical qualifications to change a light bulb.

In defence of Harlow, remember that the hourly rate does have to bear in mind the running costs of the business. My hourly rate might shock some people, but trust me, they won't want to fork out the day to day running costs of my firm either ;).

I've heard you'll work for steak with pepper sauce...

I got a new switch earlier this week though as it stands I've not had the VSA light back on. Anyway, now I've got it I'll change it just to be safe.

This is great to know. I have the same intermittent VSA fault light. Fingers crossed no ABS issues so far though. So it's probably a break sensor, which I believe is under a ton to sort. But I'll have in mind the break light switch should there be any complications. I'm also surprised at the service you got from Honda. My Honda garage will positively try and find cheap ways around problems for you if they can. Like I need a new left hand lamp (£300 or more I believe) but they just bodge repair it each time it's in for its (free - on the house) MOT. Whenever it's been in for work they've always topped up the oil free of charge and well, frankly the girl on the reception is not only pretty hot, but a petrol head herself who can really talk cars. I love my Garage visits ;).

As a complete opposite, I couldn't be more pleased with the service I've been receiving from Blade Honda Cheltenham (shortly moving to Gloucester as their group is undergoing a massive change). Had to get my car checked over re: possible oil leak that was discovered during it's recent service, however I had the same VSA light / triangle light up on the car just before I got to the dealer - luckily the car was taken straight in and hooked up to the diagnostic thingamjig and it turn out that I have a faulty brake switch...glad I'm not forking out for a faulty VSA modulator.