What's new

VSA removal / install.

Goodluckmonkey

TA Friends
Reaction score
Car
CN2
Use the headlamp removal guide to remove the offside headlamp. (Undo Phillips screw in each arch, remove plastic front panel trim, pull out top of front bumper, 4 bolts in each headlamp)

Undo the bolt holding the top of the washer bottle in, and pull the top out.

Undo the aircon line to front panel bracket and remove.

Undo the two bolts holding in the VSA guard bracket. Remove pipe clips.

Pull the guard bracket out and sling it on the floor in disgust.

Then the side and rear ones for the VSA unit baseplate.

The side one can just be undone a couple of turns as the baseplate's slotted.

Leave the front bolt in to stabilise the unit while you undo the brakelines.

Use proper flange spanners (10 and 12mm) to undo the brake lines, otherwise you will mangle the flanges.

Start with those nearest, then work away from you, so you have the most room to work.
(You can pull the lines up to give you more room to swing your spanner)

I like to use a flange spanner to undo the first bit, then a slim spanner to finish.

Undo the front baseplate bolt, ensure all the power steering line clips, air con line clips, and the VSA ECU plug are undone (orange lever to release).

Rotate the unit 90 degrees anti-clockwise and pull it out through the headlamp hole.

Just like a Haynes manual, installation is the reverse of removal.

Please be aware tat it's really easy to cross thread the brake lines as you put them in.
I like to loosely fit the front bolt to the VSA baseplate, allowing movement in the unit to make it easier to get the lines in square.

Tighten them mostly with your fingers if you can, and if you do need to use a spanner because you haven't got cast iron fingertips, any significant resistance requires a double check that things aren't crossed up.

Thankfully the headlamp hole's huuuuuge and means it's easy to check.

Do the other two bolts up and refit the bracket.

To fit the rears I do this:

Get a big snot of grease on the bolt

Then stick it your socket, and hey presto! It stays in when you invert it.

Then it's a case of topping up your brake fluid, and getting your glamorous ***istant to help you pump it through and push the air out.

I found I could reach each of the front bleed nipples at full lock, and by jacking up the rear from the centre of the subframe could also reach the rear ones comfortably with the wheels still fitted.

Nicely done, but I have to say, yet another reason for getting a petrol Accord (more space in the engine compartment)

Agreed, I'm as anti-diesel as they come, bloody things, turning dinosaur juice into cancer.
Narrow power band, unrefined, and even a sweet one sounds broken.

Problem is, at 2500 miles a month, I just can't get the same economy from a petrol, and like a big car for motorway work.

Thanks to Fahad I now have the most petrol-like diesel I've driven, but it's still not the same.

I crank up he stereo and make broom broom noises in my head. Damn I miss the sound of a flat-6.

I never said I could turn water into wine

Hahaha. You turned it into lemonade though, it tastes far better than water, and my wallet doesn't feel hungover the day after a fill-up.

Still fancy a drink now and then though. Currently considering an E24 6-series for the weekends.