What's new

VSA Switch does not turn off VSA

philsta

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord CDTI
Hi there

Here's my issue, when I press and hold the VSA switch it does not turn off VSA ( no beep or indicator displayed on the dashboard ), so far I've hooked up a diagnostic tool and can see from live data that when the switch is pressed it goes from the on to off position and back again when pressed a second time and held for a few seconds, also I can see a change in resistance using a multi-meter when I press the switch when it's removed from the car, I can also also see that the brake pressure changes when the pedal is pressed so I'm ***uming that the brake pressure switch inside the ABS / VSA module is also working. This leaves the brake switch that is located on the brake pedal and actuates the brake lights but also works with cruise control and possibly VSA. I have ordered a new switch that should be here soon so I can change that. Is there anything else that could be causing this issue just in case changing the switch doesn't work? For example does anyone know what kind of pressure range I should be seeing when the bake is pressed and whould this have an effect on VSA? Oh one more thing, all ABS sensors and pulsar rings report as fine.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Start here

Start here

Thanks Mr Channel Hopper I've read through the whole thread and have now also replaced the ABS / VSA pump but the switch still wont turn off VSA, when I do the pin 4 and 9 reset I also get three quick flashes of the ABS light at the end of the process rather than the two mentioned but I can find no mention of what those quick three flashes mean. When I start the car both the ABS and VSA lights come on and then go out and while driving both stay out unless I brake on gravel or in the wet.

Are you in a better position than when you were with the old ABS unit ?

From what you post it sounds like the brake system is doing what it is supposed to do, releasing the hydraulic pressure when the tyres lose friction on the surface, plus if the lights are out when you start / drive the vehicle it should pass the MOT as it is.

Are you in a better position than when you were with the old ABS unit ?

From what you post it sounds like the brake system is doing what it is supposed to do, releasing the hydraulic pressure when the tyres lose friction on the surface, plus if the lights are out when you start / drive the vehicle it should pass the MOT as it is.

Unfortunately the same problem persists and will be an MOT fail ( has been since sometime in 2012 when the regulations were changed ), the VSA switch although it appears to turn off and back on VSA ( when looking at live data with a scan tool ) does not illuminate the VSA icon on the dashboard or turn it off. The only time the VSA icon turns on is when the ignition on self test is preformed and then it goes out as it should. The only things that may indicate the problem are the unexplained three flashes of the ABS icon on the dash when doing the pin 4 and 9 reset rather than the expected 2 flashes and I did briefly get an error for the rear right pulsar being failed but after a reset and lots of driving to bring the error back ( it is only visible with a scan tool and does not trigger any warnings on the dashboard ) so have ordered a replacement rear right wheel bearing ( this includes the built in pulsar ring that is read by the ABS sensor ).

I thought maybe it was something going on with the gauge control module so ran the Gauge Control Module Self-diagnostic Function by following the below instructions:

1. Push and hold the SELECT/RESET switch button.
  1. Turn the combination light switch ON.
  1. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II).
  1. Within 2−5 sec., turn the combination light switch OFF, then ON and OFF again.
  1. Within 5 sec., release the SELECT/RESET switch button, and then push and release the button three times repeatedly.

You can also test if some switches work while in test mode by pressing one and you should hear a beep, the VSA switch produces a beep so I know that's not a problem

And I come up with the Error:

Outside
Error 1

Error 1: there is a malfunction in the communication line between the gauge control module and F-CAN.

So it seems I'm gradually getting closer to finding the issue but I'm not there yet although I don't have HDS (Honda Diagnostic System) so I'm not sure how much farther I'll be able to go with this one.

I'm guessing that somehow when the VSA switch is pressed it deactivates VSA but this change isn't being communicated via the F-CAN back to the gauge control module and therefore it's not illuminating the warning that traction control is turned off on the dash board. Unfortunately that is an MOT fail at the testing station I use.

Anyone seen this Outside Error 1 message before that was related to VSA before?

I did not have any diagnostic tool when I changed the ABS block, but read the codes from the flashing LEDs on the instrument panels.

I was able to use previous codes in the tourer memory to locate and fix/replace two of the wheel sensors.