What's new

VSA

crolandc

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
57 acc-2.2ictdi est
HI, could any of you in the know tell me that if the vsa decides to give up the ghost on the gen7 accord do you have to renew it! or can you keep driving the car with no negative effects? Thanks Cliff.

IIRC you can keep going until MOT time.

cliff you can drive the car as normal but you won't have vsa thats all.
this will probably be things like abs and traction control.
for a safely issue i would get it sorted because your not driving the car with max safety toys.

thats what were hear for cliff lol

It shouldn't effect abs unless the abs light is on. Also if the abs light isn't on it shouldn't fail the MOT.

I was thinking this Rob im not sure if the mot fail is for vsa or abs or none.

Vsa was never in the MOT. But the rules are changing so I expect it will be in the future. ABS light is definite fail though.

cheers Rob for the confirmation its probably like the air bag light.Im sure now its an mot failure brought in this year.

Just to add that if you get the ABS & VSA lights on together then it's likely to be an ABS fault as the VSA uses the ABS wheel speed sensors to monitor each wheel speed and if an ABS sensor goes down the VSA wont know what is happening hence the VSA light coming on with the ABS light.

I can confirm that as long as the abs light isn't on as well as the VSA warning light, it will not fail an MOT. Just put mine through an MOT with the VSA light on only.

I've just had the VSA + warning triangle + ABS warning lamps come on this morning. It happened suddenly while driving to work. Parked the car and spent some time looking up info about the fault. Phoned local dealer (Malta) they told me to take the car for them to have a look at the fault.

On the way back home started the car and all three lamps were still on :(. Wanted to test VSA so I tried to drive off quickly to see whether the front wheels would spin. They didn't! All three warning lamps went out! Drove the car for about 10 mins and tested VSA and ABS operation both worked OK.

I guess I should keep my fingers crossed and that it's no use going to the dealer's at this stage.

Cheers,

Emile

Emil when all 3 lights come on, it's possibly just an ABS sensor. I think when its just the VSA light that wont go out its the unit. Get the codes read and then determine the root cause. Good luck.

VSA light is defo not an mot fail as I checked this out recently.

Thanks a lot, that's good news and not as expensive (I hope). I'm due to go to the Honda garage tomorrow afternoon. Will let you know the outcome.

My car's a 55 plate CTD-i Ex with 62,190 miles on the clock.

Update:

Honda Malta technician identified the fault to be with the rear right ABS Sensor. It's now ordered (€160) and will have it installed at their garage as I heard it's not a straight-forward DIY fix.

Thanks a lot for your help. Will let you know how it goes.

VSA will be coming into Law in 2012 or 2014 i cant remember as all cars will HAVE to be fitted with ESP! by law

VSA will be coming into Law in 2012 or 2014 i cant remember as all cars will HAVE to be fitted with ESP! by law
ESP becoming obligatory on vehicles is different to MOT rules. Obligatory ESP will be Europe decision, MOT rules will be set by our country. As I said previously the MOT rules are changing so I expect VSA or ESP to be included at some point.
To be honest the MOT system is not really that thorough, as it doesn't keep up with modern technology.

Emile, good stuff. That price is quite fair actually as the sensors are about £125 and fitting is a real pain as you have to drill the old sensor out.

ESP becoming obligatory on vehicles is different to MOT rules. Obligatory ESP will be Europe decision, MOT rules will be set by our country. As I said previously the MOT rules are changing so I expect VSA or ESP to be included at some point.
To be honest the MOT system is not really that thorough, as it doesn't keep up with modern technology.
ESP?? Extra Sensory Perception??...LOL

MM

Not everyone has English as a first language here bud... and our abbreviations might not mean much outside the UK.

ESP is pants anyway.

ESP EDL ABS ABD VSA Etc etc
So many abbreviations to learn
Could do with decipher dictionary. Lol:)

Not everyone has English as a first language here bud... and our abbreviations might not mean much outside the UK.

ESP is pants anyway.
I hear what you're saying Dan. But it's not a UK abbreviation, it's German. ESP was developed and trademarked by Mercedes.

That aside most Maltese people have a better comprehension of the English language than the English themselves.