What's new

vtec controll/

My personal opinion I wouldent trust them.
I think they work on older accords but not 7th or 8th gen but I could be wrong.

From what I've read they're a no go for the 7th and 8th gen. The i-VTEC's got a too sophisticated and complicated a CPU to manipulate in such a way from what I understand.

I agree it would be nice to lower the VTEC engagement on my 2.4. Having barely 1000 revs of VTEC in the top range grunt isn't enough in my view. I'd bring it in at about 4K, maybe even 3.5K :lol:.

But there are so many other things at play in the i-VTEC such as the VTC cam-nodes actuator and the adjustable inlet manifold length, adjusting the VTEC engagement would mean all these other things would need adjusting and tinkering with respectively. Quite a delicate and sophisticated process I should think. Probably why only a few people have cracked it and offer remaps on the 2.4, which from my understanding lower the VTEC stage slightly but mainly focus on improved torque and more low range grunt making for a smoother, more even and more sophisticated delivery of power with minimal affect on petrol consumption.

Certainly way too delicate and sophisticated for a simple VTEC dial on a box that's meant to lower the VTEC engagement <_< .

Also, if you have a 2.4 from what I understand also, only the face-lifted 7th gens can be remapped as the pre-facelift CPU hasn't been cracked yet. Crazy stuff.

My personal opinion on these VTEC control units for older Hondas is that they're utter tosh. They're too cheap to be good quality or have serious research and development behind them. I doubt they're very good for the engine (if they even do what they claim that is). I think you're better off saving your pennies and getting a professional remap, or just spend money on proper engine and breathing modifications.

Don't do it.

Steve's right on the money B)

Also olk on the tsxclub used apexi afc neo's as soon as the tsx's came out and after lowering vtec and adjusting the fuelling to kinda match it ran for a wee while until the oem ecu learnt about the intercepted signals and overwrote them so it went back to standard settings. Thats the reason no piggyback ecu's are supposed to work, as the oem ecu will overwrite them after a while.

As above mate, remap is the way forward. Im running a pre facelift 05 CL9 on a remap and i think thats the earliest year thats currently remappable. interms of drive it is how honda should have released it as stated it improves midrange torque and HP the most however it does help out the top end. Vtec crossover kicks in at 5kish rpm which is seems to be slightly variable depending what your doing at the time ie throttle position attitude of the car etc as an ecu should. The engine now revs to 8k rpm and pulls well throughout. it allows you to fully use the longer gearing of the accord to reach some serious speeds in 2nd/3rd/4th (private airfield of course) still not type R performance but its enough to bother 530d owners through MK lol (i think they are losing out because of weight issues as on paper that engine should monster the 2.4).

look for a remap rather than a piggyback ecu i see link in signature or is there still something in the works through elite remaps

all the best

As above mate, remap is the way forward. Im running a pre facelift 05 CL9 on a remap and i think thats the earliest year thats currently remappable. interms of drive it is how honda should have released it as stated it improves midrange torque and HP the most however it does help out the top end. Vtec crossover kicks in at 5kish rpm which is seems to be slightly variable depending what your doing at the time ie throttle position attitude of the car etc as an ecu should. The engine now revs to 8k rpm and pulls well throughout. it allows you to fully use the longer gearing of the accord to reach some serious speeds in 2nd/3rd/4th (private airfield of course) still not type R performance but its enough to bother 530d owners through MK lol (i think they are losing out because of weight issues as on paper that engine should monster the 2.4).

look for a remap rather than a piggyback ecu i see link in signature or is there still something in the works through elite remaps

all the best

Govtec, how do you determine if your ECU is remappable ? I have an 04 CL9.
Where did you get the remapping done ?

all the best
dan what you running hondata???

Dan's got the xopower remap. His car is a 05 but got a revised ecu thats in the facelifts so his ecu could be mapped. The only way to tell is to remove your ecu and see the internals if your car is near that age. Mine's a 2003 so im not even gonna bother as it was one of the very first on a 52 plate, lol. Im investigating the unichip q+ at present instead. Or go all out and get a facelift tsx ecu and get hondata flashpro as there are no issues with that, everything works perfectly but it costs a bomb! :(

You could alsways get a diesel and let Uncle Faddy have a play with it :lol:

Problem is... you'll have to do eco v-tec...

what the Guru said guys i had no idea mine was even remappable untill i took it to XO - just ***umed it was possible. been having loads of fun though she properly shifts now proper dual personality car, properly refined and easy to drive in low and mid range and a bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing between 5-8k :ph34r: ;)

well jel :(

yes you can map the facelift you need to use a TSX ecu, Hondata have just released one of these and its fully mappable the only thing it doesnt have compared to the K-Pro is Datalogging which isnt really important on the road