What's new

vtec system malfunction

Barts024

Members
Reaction score
Car
03 2.4 Accord Type S
Hello all had a bit of a nightmare recently having had the dreaded P0341 code come up on my 2003 2.4 type s then having the timing chain slip on me not long after as the plunger was fully out and no tension in the chain at all thankfully never damaged anything, and after being stung a grand later I was hoping the problems would be no more.... but over the weekend the engine light come on just after I pulled away from the house car still cold, okay so went and got it checked out and now I have a P1259 vtec system malfunction, had the light turned off hoping it was a blip in the system but no it come on again last night but this time the engine was warm but being driven sensibly... So from what I've found out is that it could be oil pressure switch or the solenoid gone wrong. There's been no loss of power from what I've noticed bah once light come on last night vtec didnt kick in, turned it on and off engine light stayed on but vtec worked again... would I be swaying towards getting a new oil pressure switch or is it just safer to get the solenoid also? How easy is it to do and get too?

Also forgot to mention oil change was done when cam chain was done. Oil level is still good. But... this time I had fully synthetic put in where as I've always put semi synthetic in would this also cause a problem?

Okay cheers for that, atleast it's not a big job. Will have a check and give it a clean then let you know if it's solved the problem

Well so far so good! Gave the vtec solenoid parts a good clean up so far so good no light and all is working well. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Spoke too soon. Engine light come on at the weekend on a long drive to bristol, Lost vtec and have no oil pressure now, also revs are hunting and keep dropping to about 450 revs at a standstill but doesn't stall. Cold start it sounds as if the oil pump is struggling to pump the oil around and sounds terrible for a few seconds once warm it's okay. But that's when the revs start to hunt. I've ordered a new solenoid unit with pressure switch so hopefully that will cure it. I'm also contemplating dropping the oil out and putting semi synthetic in again as it seems to be the route cause of the problems I'm having.

tbh if you're not putting fully-synth into this engine then that could be the cause, but, it also depends a lot on how often you're changing the oil, and this applies to the previous owner(s) that had the car before you

Honda recommend fully-synth for this engine, changed every 12k miles or 12 months (whichever comes sooner), but some people use good quality fully-synth oil AND change more frequently. Note also that not all fully-synth oils are the same, some are better than others.

see also this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lshd7WR-a6I

But it could be that the oil galleries are clogged with shyte from poor oil-change regimes before you got the car

Just a quick question on the CL9 vtec change over.
How noticable is the vtec "kick in" on the 2.4?
Im not one for usually ragging it up to 6000 RPM+, I like the performance of the engine all through the rev range, but the times ive taken it up to full revs I watch the needle go round to 6000 and then....nothing, no change in sound or acceleration that I can notice.
But engine runs like a dream and no lights on dash or anything.

Change my oil every 4-5k and has had 1 previous owner from new and full honda service history.

Anyways things are looking up cars been in bits last few days timings fine still oil pump is fine no broken valve springs thankfully only to lastly check the vtc oil control valve attaching it to the battery to see if it was getting stuck open or not and surprise surprise it was. Have one on order and hopefully be here tomorrow. Fingers crossed this solves my problem..

Personally i found with the car standard you can hardly hear or feel the vtec kick in you can only start to hear it with a new exhaust system or induction kit. but since having my timing chain done it feels a whole different car feels so much more lively now and do notice the vtec change over more.