What's new

VTEC whooshe

flyerphil

Members
Reaction score
Car
2002 Honda Accord SE
Hello

I have a 2000 model Honda Accord - which I am highly pleased with.

However, whilst smooth, quiet, refined and reliable - I find it difficult to believe there is 148 bhp under the bonnet. Also cannot detect when the VTEC is supposed to kick in. Today I took it up to 6000 rpm in 2nd gear. It delivered smooth power, but I did not detect any change in its characteristics - no VTEC thump.

Its probably fine; but was expecting something to happen at high revs.

I well remember in the 1970/80's when cars were equipped with a twin choke carburettor. I had a Lancia beta Coupe.

At the bottom end of the throttle pedal travel, there was a stiff bit - that's when the second choke opened. Wow - whoosh when the second choke opened you got a sudden kick in the pants; wonderful.

Do I have a problem with the Honda - or is this normal.

First of all, SOHC VTECs don't have a "kick" when VTEC engages like a DOHC does, it's more of a smooth switchover and you will feel the car pull more eagerly..However, there should be a definitive change in noise and the car will pull harder as the revs climb.

With the 2.0, the 6G is a quick car and actually surprises people. Honda says it does 0-60 in ten seconds, but in reality the 6G needs to change into 3rd to reach 60 (or 62mph...) which is why it has such a high time. On the limiter in 2nd, it will hit 59mph which I managed in 7.3 when using the GPS "vmax" app.

Back on topic, is there any way you could record a video or anything?

The reason you don't hear the vtec switch over is because of the airbox and resonator.
If you run a pipercross panel filter or k&n panel filter and run an open airbox you will hear vtec very dramatically.
Obviously as blue said, with sohc vtec lumps you won't ever feel a vtec kick. As there's only 1 cam controlling both the inlet and outlet mate.

:)

From my experience In 1st gear I find the kick in very aggressive, 1st is so short geared, it climbs the revs so fast and the car lunges forward on WOT acceleration and the noise is the loudest (mine is modded airbox), in 2nd it is much more smooth, but you can still feel the extra surge in power and the noise in the upper gears although their is DOHC style kick in.

Blue - I am sure the the car goes to 60mph in 2nd, I have floored it many a time to see the speed at 60 mark, but perhaps the speedo overreads (?), agree though the car is deceptively quick, doesn't always feel it as the car is well planted.

Thanks for your replies.

I did an experiment today and accelerated in 5th gear up to eh hem a high speed and noticed a change at about 4800 rpm, suddenly their was a noticeable urge.

Why is it set so high? At that speed, its has little to go before the red line.

I would have thought 3800 would be more appropriate.

Is the DOHC engine in the type R or V ? I am new to these cars. Wish I had bought one years ago.

The Type V is also a SOHC engine, only the Type R's H22 is a DOHC engine.

If you have the 2.0 then VTEC engages at 4.5k, the 1.8 is at 4k. Second gear is where most of the fun is, try it in that gear and see the smile it gives you :D 5th gear is more a cruising gear, so there isn't much benefit, but you will find plenty of torque and power to overtake even in 5th on the motorway which is nice.

As for the engagement rpm, well it's the design and purpose of the engine, they are supposed to give the best of both worlds at low RPM the engine is economical and efficient, in the high revs you have the power, the cams work in high rpm, too low rpm and I think you will lose oil pressure and the car will produce less power, although you will find on the DOHC people who tune their cars tend to lower the RPM engagement to say around 4.5k, on the newer iVTEC it is possible to set in lower rpm more efficiently.

I find that the VTEC switchover is more noticeable if you're running higher viscosity oil. I've tried 0W30 and 10W40, and if I didn't know where the VTEC changes, I'd struggle to point it out.

Coming from 2 EP3's I don't notice when VTEC engages ar all, mind you before the Type R's I had a 5th gen 2.2 (F22Z2) and couldn't tell with that either.