What's new

vtec

nitram

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord type s
Hi there i have a accord 03 type s 2.4 should i be able to feel the vtec come in it goes like stink just wondered if i should be able to feel it work

I presume you have tried to take it to 7,000rpm.............the feeling for this car is not a savage as the Vtec engines of the type r or euroR. 3,500- 4,500 is where the most torque is, then it picks up pace quite quickly through the revs. It feels like there are 3 stages to the engine, 1000-4500 rpm, 4500-6000, 6000-7200, the last thousand feels like typical old school vtec( wack) but it does change the engine note at 4,500 and again at 6,000.

the best fun you will have is gear two up to 60 mph, when you drop from gear 6 to gear 4 as you are over taking on a motor way at motorway speeds.

watch this and you will see what it should sound like as standard
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsfqd12Ldsg&feature=related

The VTEC starts at about 5.5-6K rpm. The VTC starts at about 3.5K or thereabouts. The VTC (which is the "i" part of iVTEC) improves torque significantly and if you put your foot down aggressively you'll feel it bite at about 3500rpm and tone of the engine change. Then, listen for the change in tone (deeper with more grunt) at around 6000rpm until you bounce off the rev limiter at about 7200. The thing with the 2.4 is that the torque drops away sharply after about 5500 and so the VTEC kind of just counters that drop, hence there isn't a massive kick back.

At least that's my understanding of it.

if you were expecting this type of vtec then sorry our accords are not as savage :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzW8ECb5xWk

^^ All above legit info ^^ B)

Fire an induction kit on, then you'll really hear it! :lol:

Thanks for the advise guys just abit worried as couldnt feel it and the engine note doesnt change much

^^ All above legit info ^^ B)

Fire an induction kit on, then you'll really hear it! :lol:

+1

It should be compulsory for all VTEC engines to be fitted with induction kits :D :lol:

Funny I should see these vids today, I was filming/recording the VTEC noise from my Prelude earlier so that I could enjoy it at any time :lol:

An Induction kit will make you hear the vtec note ;)
Thats what I loved about the old school dohcs.

Guys your gonna get me in trouble with the misses .do they affect the running of the car ie heat soak or anything bad had them before had nothing but hassel