What's new

Water leak in rear passenger footwell

Rmkahle

Reaction score
Car
1998 Honda Accord
Hello all! I’m having some difficulty with a leak on my Honda. I have a 98 Honda Accord 1.8i ls. Yes, it has a sunroof but I don’t believe it to be the problem.
I am getting water in the trunk and the rear passenger footwell. I took it to a shop and they said that it was coming in from the windscreen. So, I had a windscreen shop seal the entire bottom of it. However, I am unable to test to see if it is still leaking because when I press my hand on the carpet in the rear footwell, I can hear water sloshing around. When I press my finger down by the mount, I can see water coming in. Is there an *easy* way to drain the footwell?
As for the trunk, The water seemed to be coming in from the sides of it because both side carpets were wet. I had the same shop try to reseal light seals in the trunk. I haven’t had water come in the trunk yet, but I wanted to see if it was all connected. Have any of you had this issue and where was the leak? And what did you do to fix it? Any advice is much appreciate. I’m attaching pictures of where the water is. Thanks!
Note: I’m very visual so if you have advice

The main places that I have found leaks are the joins on the body along the roof and down the rear part of the car where the panels meet, the manufacturers usually use a kind of sealant to connect and seal these joints and the mastic fails over time and lets in water.
It can often be along the roof under the rubber seal and can be hard to detect.
I used a product before called Captain Tolleys creeping crack cure to fill these cracks, I blew it dry and dripped the stuff in and let it set. I think it took two applications to fix.
If you look along the seam between the wing and roof/boot panels that will usually be where it is cracked.

Another common cause of leaks on any car are the plastic membranes behind the doorcards.If the sealant goes it will allow water to enter the car rarther than being diverted through the drainholes at the bottom of door outer skin.
Also if your carpets are saturated you will want to remove them from the car.Theres an inch or more of sponge underneath so simply locating and removing a drain grommit wont dry them out...especially at this time of year!
Fix the leak first though.

a 2kw fan heater with the window just cracked will dry out most cars overnight. it's not a fire hazard if you're not special :p

a 2kw fan heater with the window just cracked will dry out most cars overnight. it's not a fire hazard if you're not special :p
Haha yup a fan heater will do the trick but maybe not a saturated car overnight? Been using the blow heater to dry mine out,heats the top half of car nicely but as cars are poorly insulated and heat rises the floor actually stays quite chilly.

Thank you all for the replies! I purchased the Captain Tolleys crack cure and I will be applying it this weekend when it is dry.
It is odd because the carpet isn’t actually saturated. It is mostly dry. When I press my hand down on the carpet I feel the “sponge” material that Kaput! Mentioned and I can hear water sloshing. I don’t want to take the carpet out if possible.. I’d rather do the heater bit hahaha. Do you know of a drain plug under the car for footwell?
I just find it hard to believe that it would be leaking from the door card if nothing is wet except for the sponge area in the footwell. I took the plastic piece off by the mount for the bucket seat and I could see water under the carpet. I will take the door apart this weekend when I apply the crack cure just to make sure. Do you guys have any links for anything like this? It doesn’t let me upload pics. Thanks again for your replies!

If you climb under the car you may be able to see some drain bungs in the body under the seats? I don't know if there is in that model but a lot of cars used to have them all over the bottom.