What's new

Weight reduction - 2.4 exec

Richardwellsy

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda accord
I know plenty of you are going to say the whole point of the executive is luxury etc etc, but have any of you done anything to reduce the weight in your Accord?

And before you start i only weight 11 stone so can't lose weight haha.

Anyone with any positive ideas would be welcomed.

Cheers Rich

Remove air con

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk

Jon_G said:
Lighter wheels are a bigger benefit than weight loss anywhere else.
Good point and very true. 1 wheel kg is 10 car weight kg. So if you loose 4 kg using light wheels, in drivebility its like your car lost 40kg.

Sent from my m2 note using Tapatalk

edgeoftime said:
Cut your left leg off and go auto??
Seriously [emoji14]

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk

kokkss said:
Diesel is about to die, In near future.

So is petrol... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40723581

The future is electric. And when we all have electric cars we shall wonder why we stuck with fossil-fuelled cars for so long, and laugh at how backward and inefficient they are, same as we do now with steam engines.

Buy a go-kart, no aircon, leather seats and it weighs next to nothing. Walk, public transport then you don't have to worry about the weight of the car!!!

But why make it lighter? apart from fuel economy.

Jon_G said:
So is petrol... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40723581

The future is electric. And when we all have electric cars we shall wonder why we stuck with fossil-fuelled cars for so long, and laugh at how backward and inefficient they are, same as we do now with steam engines.
Lets wait and see, 2040 is not that far away. Electric cars will have trouble in second hand market because of worn out battery, life span of any of them are limited to count of chargesdischarges. But who knows.......

smokingman said:
Buy a go-kart, no aircon, leather seats and it weighs next to nothing. Walk, public transport then you don't have to worry about the weight of the car!!! But why make it lighter? apart from fuel economy.
It's also a cheap way to improve performance and handling.

An Accord is a heavy old bus to start with though... something like a Civic would have a head start on lightness.

Our Toyota MR2 is only 900Kg. Unfortunately I'm around 100kg.

Hopefully new battery tech like graphite batteries may help with the problem of electric cars and range/charge cycles/charge times etc. but as it is the electric car does not work for like 90% of the population. For example if you live in a block of flats you cannot charge it over night at home. Supermarket or place of work charging points are few and far between, sometimes not even working. Takes way too long to charge an electric car in it's present form, not workable for mass population. As it is a clean modern Petrol engine or petrol-hybrid setup is far better for the environment than either diesel or full electric given the current environmental issues with battery production and disposal which nobody in the media on this gravy train seems to talk about. I often wonder why they hit petrol car drivers so hard in the past and still not willing to reverse some of the stupid tax hikes on petrol vehicles the Labour government imposed over 10yrs ago forcing people into Diesel giving us the current crisis. There is a rather quick fix they could do right here and now to get those on low incomes off old dirty diesels and into cleaner petrols simply by reducing the tax implication on even older petrols which are cleaner than older dirty diesels but no as they need to look after their own pay rises paid by the public purse. Grrr don't get me started........... Full electric is a long way off and I wait to see how they will deal with those that don't have a house & garage will charge their full electric car.

But petrol engines are a long, long way off being clean... in particular the CO2 emissions are much higher than diesel engines (which was the original reason for promoting the use of diesel engines via VED benefits) plus the added octane-booster benzene is a very nasty carcinogen.

Fair point about charging electric vehicles though. Some companies are currently looking into 'inductive loop' charging arrangements, where the vehicle actually charges itself whilst travelling along suitably equipped sections of road. But my favourite suggestion is to have charging stations where the entire discharged battery pack is swapped for a charged one, thereby restoring the vehicle to fully charged status in a few minutes and - most importantly - making the charging station responsible for the suitability of the battery packs, meaning that concerns about the eventual costs of replacement of these battery packs is taken by the operators of the charging stations, rather than the vehicle owner... this would obviously remove the biggest financial risk faced by owners of aging electric vehicles.

Jon_G said:
But my favourite suggestion is to have charging stations where the entire discharged battery pack is swapped for a charged one, thereby restoring the vehicle to fully charged status in a few minutes and - most importantly - making the charging station responsible for the suitability of the battery packs, meaning that concerns about the eventual costs of replacement of these battery packs is taken by the operators of the charging stations, rather than the vehicle owner... this would obviously remove the biggest financial risk faced by owners of aging electric vehicles.
different electric motors nd car weight require different battery packs that idea only work if all cars same

charging loops can be put under place where car is parked at night nd power cables can run in ducts like street lighting

CO2 may be higher in Petrol cars but not petrol-hybrid electric. Even so modern Petrol engine as you see in the market today have much lower CO2 outputs. Its just a natural thing that Diesel will have lower CO2 vs Petrol however as it has been the case the particulates from a diesel engine are much more harmful than those who claimed CO2 will be the death of us all. VED based on CO2 alone was always a big mistake. My last Diesel was about 5yrs ago and as I recall even back then the only thing it had to pass in the MOT was a smoke test and even that seemed a little 'flexible' and easy to 'get around'. So I still think petrol drivers have been unfairly treated by governments in the past and present. Manufacturers have made huge leaps to reduce CO2 emissions in modern petrol engines, just compare whats on the market today to 10yrs ago. Particulate filters were introduced to quietly make everyone think diesel engines were now clean but what many don't understand is the system still has to dump the particles out somewhere and that seems to be dump it on the motorway during cruising speeds as if that then makes it ok. Or as some have done is drill out the filter or find other mods to get around the regs whereas petrol vehicles are still heavily scrutinised as if they are the devils child. Anyway this is going off subject to the OP (sorry) just this subject gets on my teets and everyone will have a different view and we'll be splitting hairs over this all night long........... Whatever happened to hyrdo fuel cell eh? oh the oil companies won't make any profit out of it so that'll never happen. Lets be frank our governments are just a bunch of corrupt wenkers and we are just living in an acceptable dictatorship pretending to have the moral high ground pointing fingers to other countries blatant dictatorships.

ScoobyDoo said:
...Lets be frank our governments are just a bunch of corrupt wenkers and we are just living in an acceptable dictatorship pretending to have the moral high ground pointing fingers to other countries blatant dictatorships.
I certainly won't argue with that!

Jon_G said:
But petrol engines are a long, long way off being clean... in particular the CO2 emissions are much higher than diesel engines (which was the original reason for promoting the use of diesel engines via VED benefits) plus the added octane-booster benzene is a very nasty carcinogen.

Fair point about charging electric vehicles though. Some companies are currently looking into 'inductive loop' charging arrangements, where the vehicle actually charges itself whilst travelling along suitably equipped sections of road. But my favourite suggestion is to have charging stations where the entire discharged battery pack is swapped for a charged one, thereby restoring the vehicle to fully charged status in a few minutes and - most importantly - making the charging station responsible for the suitability of the battery packs, meaning that concerns about the eventual costs of replacement of these battery packs is taken by the operators of the charging stations, rather than the vehicle owner... this would obviously remove the biggest financial risk faced by owners of aging electric vehicles.
Then we can go to Halford's? and get them swapped, "you cannot be serious" J Mcenroe .

Can you imagine the monopoly on the swapped out battery packs? it will be the new oil company dictatorship! they could literally charge what they want as they have u over a barrel (nice oil pun eh). Unless the batteries become small enough for such a process to work and government caps on how they are costed I don't see that ever happening. The number of charged packs that would need to be stocked in these charge stations would present a huge risk in itself surly (financial and environmental) & battery packs would have to be standardised and again I can't see manufacturers coming together to give away their battery secrets for the sake of mankind when they have shareholders pockets to fill.

ScoobyDoo said:
Can you imagine the monopoly on the swapped out battery packs? it will be the new oil company dictatorship! they could literally charge what they want as they have u over a barrel (nice oil pun eh). Unless the batteries become small enough for such a process to work and government caps on how they are costed I don't see that ever happening. The number of charged packs that would need to be stocked in these charge stations would present a huge risk in itself surly (financial and environmental) & battery packs would have to be standardised and again I can't see manufacturers coming together to give away their battery secrets for the sake of mankind when they have shareholders pockets to fill.
But these same car manufacturers somehow all managed to agree that their cars would run off the same specification of liquid fuel (OK two types, petrol or diesel but you get my point).

We're already at the mercy of a potential monopoly for the supply of fuel... there aren't that many different large companies pumping crude out of the ground and refining it.

How would a controlled stock of stored battery packs present a higher risk than the present huge tanks of petrol at every fuel station?

The switch to electric is going to happen, stop inventing barriers!

Jon_G said:
But these same car manufacturers somehow all managed to agree that their cars would run off the same specification of liquid fuel (OK two types, petrol or diesel but you get my point).

We're already at the mercy of a potential monopoly for the supply of fuel... there aren't that many different large companies pumping crude out of the ground and refining it.

How would a controlled stock of stored battery packs present a higher risk than the present huge tanks of petrol at every fuel station?

The switch to electric is going to happen, stop inventing barriers!
"But these same car manufacturers somehow all managed to agree that their cars would run off the same specification of liquid fuel (OK two types, petrol or diesel but you get my point)."
Petrol/Fuel & Batteries is a totally different thing. Fuel is manufactured by oil companies, battery tech is proprietary to each manufacturer. I've worked in tech all my life. Unless all the manufacturers come together and standardise battery tech the vision you have of charge stations and swap outs is not possible.

"We're already at the mercy of a potential monopoly for the supply of fuel... there aren't that many different large companies pumping crude out of the ground and refining it."
Its the governments that benefit heavily from tax revenue of this business, if that disappears there will be a very large hole in finances and their salaries! same as banning tobacco, they know it kills people and is a huge burden on heath services but they won't ban it, just keep taxing and making money off the addicted.

"How would a controlled stock of stored battery packs present a higher risk than the present huge tanks of petrol at every fuel station?"
For that you need to read up on the risks of storing large amounts of very large charged battery cells.

"The switch to electric is going to happen, stop inventing barriers!"
I'm not, I'm asking the questions that need to be asked, bringing up the points that need to be discussed, bringing awareness to the fact that people on low income in deprived areas won't be able to afford this rose tinted electric world you have a vision of. I'm not just putting on your rose tinted electric glasses and thinking oh what a wonderful electric world we will have.

If governments were that serious about our world and going electric they could step in and change it tomorrow, offer everyone a free electric vehicle why not lets save the planet. No they can't as they will have a massive chunk of tax revenue disappear overnight.

Full electric is still decades off, I don't doubt things will change over time but we have to look at the whole picture not just go electric and put all our eggs in one basket. There is nothing wrong with a hybrid system until electric is developed and affordable to the masses.

I don't believe we even have the infrastructure for electric generation to support mass electric vehicles in this country yet, even that is years off. Even if they were to have inductive charging loops in the ground there is a lot of infrastructure that needs to go in including building more nuclear power stations? oh wait a minute nuclear is wonderful for the planet is it not? wind and solar generation will not cut it alone to support this electric world........

It wouldn't surprise me if the government ordered petrol stations to paint all pumps (derv and petrol) the same colour brown. It's the logic they used thinking it would stop people smoking. :wacko:

Vehicle battery packs will obviously standardise, technology pretty much always does (VHS tapes is an obvious example). Fledgling battery pack standards will rapidly emerge as vehicle and battery manufacturers work together. These standards will merge, harden and rationalise.

I don't need to look up the dangers of charged batteries (I previously designed portable electronic equipment for use in the nuclear industry). While I agree that batteries certainly can be dangerous items, I find it hard to think of them as less safe than handling and storing large volumes of petrol. Most battery incidents are caused by poor manufacturing processes, not from an intrinsic problem. But, like petrol, careless handling will always present a threat.

Nothing wrong with nuclear power... its pretty much the cleanest and most reliable thing available that can plug the gap from where we are now to where we need to be by 2040 (say, a 5 to 10GW increase in generating capacity?). But I really do doubt our government's willingness to invest in a new generation of nuclear plants and/or the UK public wanting such a high proportion of their taxes being spent on this area (unfair to blame governments for everything, it's the ordinary people like us who vote for them).

2040 isn't that many decades away...

found this job desc in my crystal ball on indeed jan 2035

forecourt attendant
-------------------------
must be experienced in hazop near flammable liquids and large breeze block lego units that ***emble up to 340 v dc
inspect and maintain multiple arrays of high output chargers
delicate fork lift skills required in some situations
certification to level 999 in lithium fires preferred
thick rubber gloves + shoes + goggles provided

poets need not apply

ps copy-paste from hazop jobs on indeed lol