What's new

Weight reduction - 2.4 exec

Jon_G said:
Vehicle battery packs will obviously standardise, technology pretty much always does (VHS tapes is an obvious example). Fledgling battery pack standards will rapidly emerge as vehicle and battery manufacturers work together. These standards will merge, harden and rationalise.

I don't need to look up the dangers of charged batteries (I previously designed portable electronic equipment for use in the nuclear industry). While I agree that batteries certainly can be dangerous items, I find it hard to think of them as less safe than handling and storing large volumes of petrol. Most battery incidents are caused by poor manufacturing processes, not from an intrinsic problem. But, like petrol, careless handling will always present a threat.

Nothing wrong with nuclear power... its pretty much the cleanest and most reliable thing available that can plug the gap from where we are now to where we need to be by 2040 (say, a 5 to 10GW increase in generating capacity?). But I really do doubt our government's willingness to invest in a new generation of nuclear plants and/or the UK public wanting such a high proportion of their taxes being spent on this area (unfair to blame governments for everything, it's the ordinary people like us who vote for them).

2040 isn't that many decades away...
Again VHS tapes was a different thing chap.You cannot compare that to Battery tech and the proprietary tech each manufacturer will develop for their own, I guarantee they will not share it. I'll put a million squid on it. They need proprietary tech otherwise they lose control to make any profit after they have sold you the car. Take OBD/EOBD, was supposed to be 'standardised' however it is limited to what the standardisation is, many modules still need proprietary access equipment & software to interrogate your vehicle. If they share battery tech they will have to open the door to all the other tech they want to hide from their competitors, it just will not happen.

Storing and handling of large amounts of fuel (or a petrol station/garage) has been due to a safe system developed many many years ago. Changing that to massive battery warehouses for this swap out vision of yours is a whole different ball game.

I was talking to someone today who has a full electric vehicle and after buying it over a year ago thinking it would be the only transport he would need he has had to buy another petrol vehicle as they found it's not viable to have just the Duracell bunny.

"unfair to blame governments for everything, it's the ordinary people like us who vote for them"
Not sure if you noticed but we really have little choice these days and not everyone voted for the current government just a majority. They make the decisions with our money so yes it is fair game to blame them for these things, not everything as I cannot blame them for the fact my strife cannot cook!

Anyway I'm switching off, going to get in my Learjet and fly around the globe warming it up for no fecking reason apart from destroying all mankind and pressing the reset button. (maybe keeping Bombardier in business too)

ScoobyDoo said:
. If they share battery tech they will have to open the door to all the other tech they want to hide from their competitors, it just will not happen.
It isn't possible for them to keep their ideas to themselves. It's common practice for manufacturers to buy the oppositions product and strip them down to see what ideas than can use.

That might work in China with wolex mate but others can't just copy another's design and call it 'share' don't work like that. It may be common practice but that's not called sharing that's called stealing and most ideas of proprietary tech will be copyrighted or patented to stop others copying. Otherwise all cars would be the same.

The batteries are the key technology here, so the battery manufacturers will adopt their own fitment standards and 'force' them onto the car manufacturers (obviously with some discussion). The internal chemistry would be proprietary (each with its owned claimed benefits) but the physical fitment would be a standard... same as for pretty much all replaceable batteries now!

ScoobyDoo I worked for major motor company for 32 yrs and worked in restricted areas. So trust me I know it goes on. Vauxhall invented the deadlock system and Ford invented ABS but there aren't many cars that don't use similar systems now.

Insistently I was being pedantic about company's being able to keep secrets not supporting the change to electric cars. I was recently informed that Moto GP will be going electric in a couple of years. It was bad enough when silencers were introduced for race bikes, I loved the sound of open megas. I can't imagine being enthused by bikes sounding like sewing machines going round.

Maybe you're right, I have a few hundred squid already in my collection tin...........

I thought Mercedes invented anti lock braking?

Jon_G said:
So is petrol... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40723581

The future is electric. And when we all have electric cars we shall wonder why we stuck with fossil-fuelled cars for so long, and laugh at how backward and inefficient they are, same as we do now with steam engines.
Agreed [emoji106]

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk

reverse engineering is common place that is how N Korea has got its missiles

happens all the time in small technology also patents give it away

so all batteries follow similar principle and almost impossible to patent a battery anyway just the way the insulator is used

but the big issue with packs is the way that the cells are put together into a pack which means that packs are different sizes and different Ah ratings

pulling packs out of big number of vehicles and swapping over cannot work even if all the same, it only takes damage to one cell in a pack and then overheat and the whole pack goes up and all other packs stored that are close catch fire as well so it would need mega special sprinkler system

For previous cars unless you can remove a substantial amount its not worth it. Lighter wheels are an important point, as is any unsprung weight.

On previous cars things like aircon saved 10-20kg but its everything, new aux belt, remove compressor, hoses, rad, etc.

Seats are a massive weight, a set of lightweight buckets will be 5-10kg a seat plus rails, the originals will be 25kg plus.

Sound deadening, unnecessary handles, carpets, tools, spare wheel. Resonator and decats too. Most Stainless systems are lighter than the original mild steel units. Most weight loss will impact somewhere on your drive, increase in noise, useability, etc.

Once you have removed the non essential electrics you could reduce the wiring loom. Everything but the main clocks on the dashboard can go

Since the car is now lighter with almost everything out of the passenger shell then you wouldn't require the boot, (or in a tourer the rear door) , so any metal that attaches them to the roof / floor/ sides could be removed with an angle grinder right back to the point near the B-pillar and replaced with lightweight alternatives.

Remove the other doors / hinges / bonnet and weld something lighter in their place

A straight through stainless exhaust with a aluminium/***anium end can will probably save 30kgs.

Strip all paint and underseal, a light coat of primer should be enough.

Change any remaining glass in the vehicle with polycarbonate (window winding stuff will already have gone so glue the plastic to the door frames).

Install a much smaller fuel tank (next to the driver to cut the delivery and return piping). Fill only enough fuel to get there and back on each journey.

Talking of shrinking, you won't need such large brake parts all round , a smaller set of wheels might give you another 5kg in total.

Drill holes in every thing that looks solid but does not need to hold air or liquids.

Have a light lunch and a good bowel emptying session before going out for a spin. No other keys/coins/junk in pockets, extreme haircut, no beard, no shades.