What's new

What engine oil to use?

robborobbo

Reaction score
Car
2.2 Cdti 2008
Hi, recently purchased a 2.2 cdti 2008 tourer

Had a quick look at the manual and it recommends 0W-30 oil

When I spoke with Hafords they recommend a different type, spoke with Honda and they told me they use 0W-40 for oil changes

Spoke with another garage and he told me the 4W-50 Mobil 1 stuff I already have is sufficient

Bit confused with all this conflicting information, can anyone shed some light on this? cheers

Also bought an oil & fuel filter from a trade supplier, its not genuine honda but I guess its still ok.....

Cheers

Aaahhh its been a while since this question has popped up. Must be at least a week :lol:

0-30. Nothing else. 5.9 litres.

If any one says different. Slap them.

And those filters had better go back unless you want major issues.

In fact - you have in one post managed to break every rule of iCDTI ownership.

Next you'll be saying you have 15K service intervals :lol:

Welcome to TA by the way :D

Thanks

What does the 0-30 oil do that the 4-50 doesn't?

What website do you recommend for genuine Honda parts?

If your Honda owners manual tells you to use 0w30, why would you then go and ask Halfrauds or anyone else in fact?

It recommends 0-30 oil but then shows a graph with different types of oils and temperatures they work best in.

If its needed, why does Honda themselves not use it for oil changes .......

Get your oil from Lubetech, and you parts from Honda Holdcroft. Simples :D

When you have made a few more contributions to the site the traders section opens up. Have a little play with the google search box too and make an introduction in the newbie section. You'll be amazed at what info is on here.

As a new owner of a accord myself agree with both Dan and Fahad, bought my service parts from Holdcroft for a lovely discount and my oil from lubetech (0-30w) and got my mate who's a mechanic to service it for me and he himself who is not a accord owner recommended to use 0-30w oil as its the best!!!
smile.gif

Honda dealers don't always get it right either.

0-30... Nothing less. Otherwise kiss good bye to your timing chain.

bought an oil & fuel filter from a trade supplier, its not genuine honda but I guess its still ok....
rofl-2.gif

Trade parts may be cheaper but you will end up doing the job twice, the 2nd time being properly with genuine parts, usually after you've posted questions asking why your engine doesn't run right and your EML light is coming on.

Rob, all joking aside (for a little while at least).

Please do read the innumerate threads on fuel filters, oil filters and oil. It is an easy car to look after, but you gotta use the right stuff.

^I would do exactly what this lot just said, unless you want headache down the line that is.

Mine was using oil and getting 38mpg. Did an oil change with Honda filter and 0W30 and it's now not losing oil any more and up to 45mpg! Why would you risk anything else?

Robbo please for the sake of your car have a good read in the diesel faults section.

having said that, I've used 5w30 for the last 6 years (Millers XF longlife) with no consumption and no problems...
rolleyes.gif

He knows he is going to diesel hell for being so nasty to his motor :p

You might want to dig out your flak jacket and tin helmet. Maybe a few sandbags as well! :unsure:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The greatest thing i've read all day!!!!

You might want to dig out your flak jacket and tin helmet. Maybe a few sandbags as well! :unsure:

^ lol;
I think there is a culture on here, that states you *have* to use the precise oil and only genuine Honda filters otherwise you'll ruin your engine.
All I'm saying is Honda like all manufacturers have tolerances, 5W30 is no more than a stones throw from 0W30, and I've used non Honda filters in the past with no side effects whatsoever. Sure it's good to recommend Honda parts etc, but IMHO it's not critical. It's a Honda after all, it's bullet proof (to a point ;) )

Stands back and waits for the backlash....

When we purchased our car it had been serviced by Honda a couple of months before we bought it. It sounded very quiet on test drive. When we collected the car the dealer (dealer was a NON Honda dealer) told us he'd had it serviced for us. The engine sounded more like a regular diesel engine rattle/ noticably noisy and it was getting louder. We took the advice I'd read on here regards using the 0/30 Lubetech oil and we purchased a 25l drum and also changed the oil filter back for a genuine Honda one. Result, the car was quiet again.

muppets probably used 10W40...wouldn't trust any dealer inc Honda unless it's got a well established rep, like HH

muppets probably used 10W40...wouldn't trust any dealer inc Honda unless it's got a well established rep, like HH

Lol, probably old chip fat or something! Seriously though, it made a huge difference changing it back to the 0/30, whatever they'd used wasn't having a very good effect on the sound of the engine. It is quiet now, still not as whisper quiet as it was prior to purchase, hope the oil didn't damage anything. It actually sounded almost like a petrol engine when we first test drove it.

I don't trust any garage with my car, I have never trusted any garage with any of my cars lol. I only trust my husband to work on my cars. I freak when he cannot do the work. I certainly wouldn't want anyone else to service the car for me, change the brakes anything really. It had to go back for a manifold change under warranty. I still cannot work out why the passenger seat was fully forward and the carpet trims around the four doors were not pushed down and the carpet was hanging out from one trim. They were perfect when I handed the car over..............Paranoid lol................

Mind you, I did have the pleasure of working for a car dealer many years ago and it would make your hair curl the things I could tell you.

The said dealer isn't around anymore, they vanished off the face of the earth............

Mind you, I did have the pleasure of working for a car dealer many years ago and it would make your hair curl the things I could tell you.

The said dealer isn't around anymore, they vanished off the face of the earth............

I bet you could! go on share, they're not around anyway....:D

Lol, probably old chip fat or something! Seriously though, it made a huge difference changing it back to the 0/30, whatever they'd used wasn't having a very good effect on the sound of the engine. It is quiet now, still not as whisper quiet as it was prior to purchase, hope the oil didn't damage anything. It actually sounded almost like a petrol engine when we first test drove it.

I don't trust any garage with my car, I have never trusted any garage with any of my cars lol. I only trust my husband to work on my cars. I freak when he cannot do the work. I certainly wouldn't want anyone else to service the car for me, change the brakes anything really. It had to go back for a manifold change under warranty. I still cannot work out why the passenger seat was fully forward and the carpet trims around the four doors were not pushed down and the carpet was hanging out from one trim. They were perfect when I handed the car over..............Paranoid lol................

Sounds like you or rather your car had a lucky escape. Can't help you with the carpet mystery though,
I've got admit I'm the same re dealers/mechanics - I'd rather do the job myself so I know it's done to my linking rather than a 'that'll do attitude'

I bet you could! go on share, they're not around anyway....:D

Lol, some of the stories would make it on to watchdog. No wonder the said dealer vanished years ago, I only worked for them for a couple of weeks, I couldn't stick their ways at all.

I think most people that love their cars prefer not to take them to garages, or at the very least sweat about it when the cars do have to go in to one.

Even worse, I totally HATE buying cars! I'd rather take a trip to the dentists...........

Hi,last time I put wrong oil.Now I must change again.I look on websites,it's loads of kinds 0w-30 oil.But I am not sure wich are the best.I send e-mail for lubetech,they give me nearly 100£(with delivery)For me it is too much.

Unfortunately we need to pay as much as we can afford. You could get just enough for under £50, for example this would probably be OK:
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68989-motul-8100-eco-nergy-0w-30-fuel-economy-petrol-and-diesel-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx
Plus you'd need a filter which is £10.
But for the little bit extra you could get the 25l drum and have enough oil for the next few changes.

Unfortunately we need to pay as much as we can afford. You could get just enough for under £50, for example this would probably be OK:
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68989-motul-8100-eco-nergy-0w-30-fuel-economy-petrol-and-diesel-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx
Plus you'd need a filter which is £10.
But for the little bit extra you could get the 25l drum and have enough oil for the next few changes.
Thanks,Why you said that filter cost 10£,yestarday I call HH,they give me over 35£.About motul I thinking too.

Thanks,Why you said that filter cost 10£,yestarday I call HH,they give me over 35£.About motul I thinking too.
I'm confused. You need 6l of fully synthetic 0W30 oil, an oil filter and a new sump plug washer.
The oil as above you could get for £50. I don't know how much the 25l drum is but it works out a lot cheaper per change. I bought 2x4l drums of Castrol Edge when I did mine which came to about £80.
The filter is £9 from Holdcroft Honda. You can get them on eBay and stuff as well for the same price (eg: link).
The sump plug washer is about 40p, you usually get one with the filter.