What's new

What is this transmission part?

exec

Members
Reaction score
Car
'99 2.0 SE Exec
I noticed a part in my engine bay that was really greasy and full of oily substance.

Heres a pic:

WP_20130907_003_zps8bd7b47e.jpg

The part is linked to the gear shifter as they move when you shift gears. There is also a part in front of the engine that moves when you press the clutch.

My question is what is the part in the picture and is it meant to be oily/greasy?

Secondly what is the clutch part infront of the engine? I noticed this is where I get a squeaky noise. Can this bit be adjusted?

Its your gearbox linkage, mine is also oily too and I don't know why or if its related to the breather. The little rubber boot covers the gearbox or transmission breather pipe.

The bit at the front of your engine is the clutch slave cylinder that pushes the clutch fork.

Spot on there Andy. ;)

Just to add, the linkages will be greasy from the Honda dealer servicings as its part of the maintenance schedule...Totally uneeded to be honest!

The squeaking can be the slave cylinder where it contacts the fork, or it can be the pressure plate on your clutch. Common issue on 6G's, even with new slaves and clutches!

Cheers lads, is it possible to grease up the contact between slave cylinder and fork and reduce the noise, I get a lot of friction noise intermittently too, so it is probably this.

Depends where it is bud. It is either the pressure plate (new clutch will solve this), release bearing or clutch fork contact points. One contact point is inside the bellhousing but impossible to get to with the gearbox in place. The other is on the little slave cylinder situated at the front of the gearbox.

Could always give it a bash and see how it goes!

Might give it a try, according to the manual and if i have read right that area needs to have moly grease on it, which I ***ume is the stuff in the pic I posted, finding a suitable moly grease is proving to be difficult!