What's new

What oil/fuel filter?

Solvalou

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 1.8 VTEC '51'
Sometime in the spring, I intend on giving the car a good proper full service but ideally would like the buy some of the bits myself to be sure it's quality stuff going on the car. But this got me thinking, what oil and/or fuel filters should I buy? I got a spare "Filtron" oil filter laying about but I suspect the quality isn't upto much. I hear that larger oil filters are better too so I wonder what the largest one you can get for the 6th gen.
Looking online, it seem's that some definately do a better job than others, even OEM's are often found lacking in performance. Bosch seems a reasonable obvious choice but I plan on switching to fully synthetic oil this time round so what are the recommendations? Also what dimentions am I looking for to fit the 1850cc 6th gen? :)
As for fuel filter's, I havn't a clue what to look for.

Hi mate, the fuel filter is located in the tank if I remember rightly lol

Id recommend 5/40 full synthetic mate, uni part supplied with with a larger oil filter for peanunts and the guy recommends them as he used it on his type R.

About oil, use something fully synthetic 5w-40.
In the past I used Motul xcess 8100 and liked it. Now I am using Fuchs ***an GT1 XTL, which is also a good oil, but a bit cheaper.

Oil filter, go for OEM or a Purflux, which is the brand of the OEM ones.
Fuel filter, I am using an after market for couple of years with no problem, guess its a BluePrint

When I did my dad's one few weeks back he had a blueprint oil filter on his which was bigger than OEM one. You can also have a look at HAMP oil filters, they are supposed to be better and people use them on the high performance Honda models, it has some extra bit to it which increases oil filter which helps with VTEC-ing.

Fuel filter wise, the Blueprint one I saw on MisterAuto looked near identical to the OEM one, but its the filtration bit inside that counts, and I would personally go withan OEM one for peace of mind.

Solvalou said:
Thanks guys, il check out the options and see what I can dig up. I don't have decent jacks to get to the parts so il have to use a garage but since it needs a proper service and an MOT soon, I may aswell get it done by them.

I spotted this on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291076046486?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Anyone know if it fits the 6th gen? If not il just see Honda in person and ask for it. :)
I guess that filter will not work.
The one which is found in the 6th gen is like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Accord-1-8-99-03-NIPPARTS-Fuel-Filter-/321287696699?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ace3d313b

This is what an official fuel filter looks like

fuelfilter_zps94615332.jpg

Anything that is 99p on ebay is going to be cheap and nasty!

The OEM filter is £25 from Holdcroft Honda, or a blueprint one from mister auto for £10.

exec said:
Anything that is 99p on ebay is going to be cheap and nasty!

The OEM filter is £25 from Holdcroft Honda, or a blueprint one from mister auto for £10.
It's obviously a 99p start, it looks official but as it doesn't fit, it doesnt matter. Thanks again for the info, especially you Andy, you contribute so much to the forum for us 6-genners. :)

Just a last quick question though, is 5w-40 more recommended than 0w-40?

I wouldnt put 0-40 in mate as with thats too thin,

I run 5w-40 in the winter and run 10w-40 in the summer. ;)