What's new

what polish

Use photobucket and insert the IMG link it gives you.

Here is my black beauty after a bash with the AG Super Resin Polish and a coat of AG HD Wax.

VTEC3-1.jpg

VTEC9.jpg

hehe, only thing about photobucket etc is that most work firewalls block them so I can never see teh pictures untill I get home :D

If you used 30% of the colly in one coat, you've used way too much! The thinner the coat the better, apply with a sponge applicator, allow to cure and then buff off with a nice soft fluffy microfibre cloth. Apply another layer, 24 hrs later if you can. A cotton cloth like a shirt will scratch like mad as fine particles of dirt have nowhere to go other than scratch across the surface of the paint.

When the bug hits you hard, you'll be buying a polisher, crying at the site of every micro scratch and suffering from OCD. Half way through polishing the rear quarter panel -

RearQuarter08.JPG

And the final result -

Clayed with BH Clay
Polished with Gtechniq P1 by DAS-6
Glazed with Clearkote Yellow Moose Wax
Two Coats of Chemical Guys Blacklight Hybrid Finish
Wiped down with Chemical Guys V7 Sealant

RearQuarter13.JPG

Use photobucket and insert the IMG link it gives you.

Here is my black beauty after a bash with the AG Super Resin Polish and a coat of AG HD Wax.

VTEC3-1.jpg

VTEC9.jpg
beautiful machine , i can see how the bug can set in when you have this level of detail , awesome

If you used 30% of the colly in one coat, you've used way too much! The thinner the coat the better, apply with a sponge applicator, allow to cure and then buff off with a nice soft fluffy microfibre cloth. Apply another layer, 24 hrs later if you can. A cotton cloth like a shirt will scratch like mad as fine particles of dirt have nowhere to go other than scratch across the surface of the paint.

When the bug hits you hard, you'll be buying a polisher, crying at the site of every micro scratch and suffering from OCD. Half way through polishing the rear quarter panel -

RearQuarter08.JPG

And the final result -

Clayed with BH Clay
Polished with Gtechniq P1 by DAS-6
Glazed with Clearkote Yellow Moose Wax
Two Coats of Chemical Guys Blacklight Hybrid Finish
Wiped down with Chemical Guys V7 Sealant

RearQuarter13.JPG
Jaw dropping is all I can saw , i am nowhere as good as this but I'm learning new things all the time from you guys . I only used a very soft clean 100%cotton tshirt at the very end when the car was spotless and shining . ordering some foam applicators and more micro fibre . This could become an OCD as you say ,lol . EdIT reading about Chemical Guys Blacklight Hybrid Finish think i will use this too , see what you've started .

UPDATE , I am off my head trying to keep this black car clean . I have been washing it every two days and TBH i would need to wash it every day to keep it nice . I don,t know about the various polishes and sealants, only folioing what you guys have done but it seems to me that the car draws a great deal of dust and s**t via static . As a previous poster told me " once the bug hits hard" you will become obsessed with how your car looks ,watching out for every swirl or spec of dust ( or words very similar ) ,well this is almost the case and already my Mrs is giving me strange looks when she sees me with buckets and wash mits .
I have even ordered Chemical Guys Blacklight Hybrid Finish as i feel I am not getting the wet glossy look from the AG and Colli combo . I want to be able to enjoy my car without being obsessed with paintwork but i fear this can't happen due to my car being pearl black and sitting on the street . I done my wires gun metal greyish colour citroen and even after a week it still looks clean .
I am preoccupied with looking at other black cars and some are stunning while others are a mess , its all down to the level of attention I guess but there needs to be a balance .

Thanks again

UPDATE , I am off my head trying to keep this black car clean . I have been washing it every two days and TBH i would need to wash it every day to keep it nice . I don,t know about the various polishes and sealants, only folioing what you guys have done but it seems to me that the car draws a great deal of dust and s**t via static . As a previous poster told me " once the bug hits hard" you will become obsessed with how your car looks ,watching out for every swirl or spec of dust ( or words very similar ) ,well this is almost the case and already my Mrs is giving me strange looks when she sees me with buckets and wash mits .
I have even ordered Chemical Guys Blacklight Hybrid Finish as i feel I am not getting the wet glossy look from the AG and Colli combo . I want to be able to enjoy my car without being obsessed with paintwork but i fear this can't happen due to my car being pearl black and sitting on the street . I done my wires gun metal greyish colour citroen and even after a week it still looks clean .
I am preoccupied with looking at other black cars and some are stunning while others are a mess , its all down to the level of attention I guess but there needs to be a balance .

Thanks again

:lol:

unfortunately part of the issue with a black car, just try and regiment yourself to doing it once a week, the thing with Black is you can hardly beat it when it is looking good, but it can soon show the dirt, whereas with the lighter colours, they hide the dirt a bit more, but equally don't look as good as black, when polished up.

the next stage in your OCD will be obtaining loads of different products with the aim of maximising beading with the intent of the car almost becoming self cleaning.

The main thing is that with a quick wash your car can be restored to full shininess. I'd love to keep mine spotless on a daily basis, but just have not got that time, so I'm happy with the fact that I can just give it a quick wash to restore it.

Soft black Honda paint soon swirls up again no matter how well you have polished before it and how careful you have been with your wash routine. Washing it every other day will only speed up the inevitable.

In my experience beading makes the car far from self cleaning though, unless you are driving the car and the wind blows it all away, it can have opposite effect. Worse still is the dusty sandy rain we tend to get. It sits on you car in nice little beads while all the unwaxed cars in car park have long dried off. When all those little beads dry, they leave behind a pattern of deposits all over you car, like a sandy leopard!

Now there,s an idea don,t ever clay or polish or wax or seal or resin...... beads are bad , save a small fortune ,why even bother with a car , that's it i,m back to the bus , OCD cured . £XXX of bead materials for sale.

Now there,s an idea don,t ever clay or polish or wax or seal or resin...... beads are bad , save a small fortune ,why even bother with a car , that's it i,m back to the bus , OCD cured . £XXX of bead materials for sale.

Once bitten there is no going back, Shiny does make some excellent observations though, why do we bother ?

Once bitten there is no going back, Shiny does make some excellent observations though, why do we bother ?
No going back for me ,first dry day my chemicalguys backlight hybrid finish will be applied after a careful wash and dry ......... In a smallish carpark last week there were 9 black cars out of 13 cars including mine and the only one close to mine in terms of gleam was a 10 plate astra so yes the effort IS worth it for me albeit irksome at times when a wash is required almost daily . Agree with CJM all the way . Oh and I've cancelled my gym membership .

Guys and mods I rest my case on this thread I don't think I can add anything further which could be of interest , I have learned a lot here and hope others have enjoyed the bit banter . All the best .

UPDATE

I just had to add this . I spent half the day washing then applying 2 coats(as per product instructions) of chemical guys Blacklight Hybrid Finish and the result is outstanding .
I thought that the AG SRP then collie 845 was a nice finish but IMHO the CG BHF leaves a beautiful deep wet finish which is far classier looking .

Michelle,

You should be ok, although I would use a softer clay something like bilt hamber Auto Clay Bilt-Hamber Auto Clay - Soft

Just be gentle with the passes of the clay and keep it well lubed over the re-painted area. Equally do the area with a clean piece of clay as it will possibly be easier to scratch.

In all honesty you need very little pressure is actually needed, it is more important to keep the area wet with the lubricant / water as this helps the clay to glide and helps prevent any unwanted damage to the paintwork.

Many Thanks for the info CJM, I've chicken out of claying, the paint isn't the best and there's loads of touched up stone marks etc. I'm just going to research out a good polish that will add a shine and protection.

UPDATE

I just had to add this . I spent half the day washing then applying 2 coats(as per product instructions) of chemical guys Blacklight Hybrid Finish and the result is outstanding .
I thought that the AG SRP then collie 845 was a nice finish but IMHO the CG BHF leaves a beautiful deep wet finish which is far classier looking .

And now it starts,

Clear out a space in the garage or shed, as those products are going to build up :lol:

It is amazing how it seems that it couldn't get any better and then something new comes along, that puts a whole different shine on it!

Get some pics up of the finished results

Many Thanks for the info CJM, I've chicken out of claying, the paint isn't the best and there's loads of touched up stone marks etc. I'm just going to research out a good polish that will add a shine and protection.

I can understand that, as another thought, you could always have it professionally detailed, where they clay and machine polish it for you, will cost you more, than doing it yourself, obviously, however then you can see the cars paintwork's full potential.

The machine polishing could tidy up some of those touch ups depending on how bad they are.

Once you've got a good finish, it will be a little easier to maintain.

Depends on how much you want a shiny car

I can understand that, as another thought, you could always have it professionally detailed, where they clay and machine polish it for you, will cost you more, than doing it yourself, obviously, however then you can see the cars paintwork's full potential.

The machine polishing could tidy up some of those touch ups depending on how bad they are.

Once you've got a good finish, it will be a little easier to maintain.

Depends on how much you want a shiny car

That's an idea, I will have to have a search and see if there are any companies around York that do that. I would really like a shiny car. One thing I would like to find is some polish that doesn't turn your plastic trims white if it gets on them. That's what I really hate about polishing, without that I wouldn't mind the hard work.

That's an idea, I will have to have a search and see if there are any companies around York that do that. I would really like a shiny car. One thing I would like to find is some polish that doesn't turn your plastic trims white if it gets on them. That's what I really hate about polishing, without that I wouldn't mind the hard work.

You can always use tape to protect the plastic trims

Masking Tape

To give you an idea of costs and what are involved in the detailing have a look at this thread, these guys aren't close to you, but it will give you some idea as to whether it is worth having a look for someone nearby.

Detailing services

You can always use tape to protect the plastic trims

Masking Tape

To give you an idea of costs and what are involved in the detailing have a look at this thread, these guys aren't close to you, but it will give you some idea as to whether it is worth having a look for someone nearby.

Detailing services

Thanks for the idea of masking, I never thought about that. Thanks also for the link to shinearama, that's some service they offer, the car would look beautiful. I'd need the paint check depth test though, there's been quite a bit of paint work done to our car, front end bumper and bonet/wings for stone chips and the tailgate lift around the number plate. Colours good but the job was rough, there's dust under the paint on the tailgate, I'd be worried about it flaking off. The previous owner said there wasn't any accident damage to the car or paint work done when he had it. The garage confirmed they'd sprayed it to smarten it up, ummmmmm.........needs further spraying to remove the other million chips they didn't get.