What's new

What to look for

dejv

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2006 I-CDTI
I m interested in buying an accord from uk, what do I have to look for, maybe spots where there is usually rust, what mileage is recommended

Petrol or Diesel? And which generation of Accord were you thinking of?

I recommend you have a look at usedcarexpert.co.uk
They have fault guides for used cars, above the usual 'and the tyres'.

Also have a good look around the forum there is lots of info in the faults section.

Petrol or Diesel? And which generation of Accord were you thinking of?

7th generation and diesel. I was told that the face lift has the foldable mirrors and 6th gear, are there any other options that it has ? also how to identify that it is a facelift

I recommend you have a look at usedcarexpert.co.uk
They have fault guides for used cars, above the usual 'and the tyres'.

ok thanks,

any other websites that I can find used cars apart from autotrader?

Hi.

As with all cars just check everything works when you go to look at one. don't be afraid to spend ages testing everthing out.

the issue i had with mine (2.4 petrol) was the power tailgate didn't work, this is pretty common so make sure it works with the key fob open and closed, then make sure it closes with the button on the tailagte.

EX model has satnav built in to the dash, make sure that works as people have had probs with the DVD drives playing up. the sat nav discs can be expensive from Honda, £200ish so if you want to upgrade the disc for a newer one bear that in mind and don't get conned into buying a "Back up" disc as there are reports of people who's DVD drive has packed up after running one! you can get soem genuine ones off ebay tho.

I am really pleased with my Tourer and have only had to replace brake pads and discs and one of the lower suspension arms. i do all the work on it myself :)

i think the facelift models have different headlights.

also check out www.Honestjohn.co.uk and click on reviews / honda / accord and you can read whats good and whats bad! you can find them on www.exchangeandmart.co.uk and there are a few on www.carandclassic.co.uk but Autotrader is probably your best bet.

or even have a look in the for sale section of this website.

i've been a member on typeaccord for a few months now and found everyone to be really helpfull and there is loads of info on here.

good luck with finding one

Hi dejv,

The 7th gen diesels can be unreliable, do you really do the miles on Malta for a diesel to pay off, they cost more to buy?

I'd recommend a 2.0 petrol, bit cheaper to buy, fairly bombproof as long as serviced regularly, will go on for years.

Early 8th gen 2.0 petrols are getting down to £6k now, they came out in 2008. Quite an advance over the 7th gen, safety and driving experience.

Hi dejv,

The 7th gen diesels can be unreliable, do you really do the miles on Malta for a diesel to pay off, they cost more to buy?

I'd recommend a 2.0 petrol, bit cheaper to buy, fairly bombproof as long as serviced regularly, will go on for years.

Early 8th gen 2.0 petrols are getting down to £6k now, they came out in 2008. Quite an advance over the 7th gen, safety and driving experience.

normally I do approx 1000 miles monthly, and this car will be used daily. sometimes I will tow the boat etc. Also probably I will do a remap for that extra bhp
I looked at the 8th gen but currently the diesel is quite expensive.

considering that apart form buying the car I need to get it to Malta + pay the registration.

Sounds like you're better suited to a Diesel then if you're doing 1K+ a month plus towing. I always think 10-12K a year is the borderline between Petrol and Diesel, but throw in some towing on 12K and you're definitely into Diesel territory.

You shouldn't have a problem finding a decent 7th gen for not too much money, or not too high mileage etc. Just have a read through the forum to get an idea of what to look out for when buying.

tbh 1k miles monthly or 12k miles p/a is borderline diesel territory, i would give a long hard study to see if you need a diesel at all. IMO a petrol would be more than adequate for 12k miles a year, and a 2.4 Accord can pull more than a horsebox..

Honda Petrol's either in 2.0 or 2.4 guise are the most reliable engines out there, diesels are good but have more maintenance.

if you do get a diesel you would be better getting a late 7th gen, 2007-08 onwards ish.

also is it true that they doesn't have a rear wiper?

7th and 8th gen saloons dont have rear wipers, but the estates or Tourers do have a rear wiper. 12k miles is more petrol territory, 15k miles and more is around the break even for diesel, but diesel in Malta might be cheaper than here in the UK. Its cheaper in Mainland europe, making diesel even more popular.

Wheel arches can get rusty on the 7th gen so check them carefully, especially cars from the north where there is more snow and salt on the roads.