What's new

What to look for

Japdreamz

Members
Reaction score
Car
Supra/Civic/Accord
Going tomorrow night to buy a 04 cl accord 2.2 i-ctdi, I know they give timing chain problems but is there anything else I should look out for

Timing chain
Cracked manifold
Slipping clutch
EGR problems
Leaking injectors

And general signs of accident damage and all other usual checks you would do when buying a car

That's great guys only thing is how do I check for egr problems and leaking injectors?

If the seller lets you whip off the engine cover do that and look for wet residue around each injector

Egr problems have alsorts of symptoms but mostly check the performance and responsiveness of the throttle, look out for smoking on wide open throttle and any hesitation or flat spots. Power band should be clean and strong.

That's great man cheers it's originally a UK car if you know it perhaps from a previous member reg is KK04 XLG

Why not get a petrol then you won't have to worry about that long list of potential problems?

Wilderman said:
Why not get a petrol then you won't have to worry about that long list of potential problems?
I did it, changed diesel for petrol 2.0 because I thought the same. So I didn't know petrol models with "fly by wire" control of throttle body have sometimes problem with idling speed, jerking at low speed/revs (1st, 2nd gear in traffic for example)
I mentioned that issue in other thread but no solution till now.
I don't know which engines and what percentage of all are affected... (myne is K20Z2, facelift)

Didn't know any Accords had fly by wire throttles, shows my ignorance! Mine is definitely a good old cable set up but then it is a 2003 model.