What's new

What's the most miles you've done on a tank?

:lol: I love trip computers! I don't have one, but enjoy playing mind games with them when I get courtesy cars. They're always pretty vague. I've found the Accord is very non-linear with its fuel gauge (in fact every Honda I've driven). I.e. it stays on full for 70-100 miles and then starts shifting, gradually getting through the gauge quicker and quicker. I'm normally at 250 miles on the halfway point of my petrol gauge. By the end of the tank I've done between 350 and 400. So take the trip computer and petrol gauge with a pinch. Once you've done a few tanks of various driving styles, you'll learn it and know better what your car's doing.
I guess the range is calculated on how much fuel is left in the tank and the current average MPG. As you say, the fuel gauge is vague, and the computer can't really predict how you're going to drive it.

Based on the current readings, it looks like I'm going to get about 600 miles out of my first tank of diesel. I'll report back when it's nearly empty.

:lol: I love trip computers! I don't have one, but enjoy playing mind games with them when I get courtesy cars. They're always pretty vague. I've found the Accord is very non-linear with its fuel gauge (in fact every Honda I've driven). I.e. it stays on full for 70-100 miles and then starts shifting, gradually getting through the gauge quicker and quicker. I'm normally at 250 miles on the halfway point of my petrol gauge. By the end of the tank I've done between 350 and 400. So take the trip computer and petrol gauge with a pinch. Once you've done a few tanks of various driving styles, you'll learn it and know better what your car's doing.

The Fuel Gauge on mine is the same, the first half on the tank seems to go forever, then it hangs around halfway for a bit. Once it's had enough of that the rest of the tank seems to be consumed at an alarming rate :unsure:

Exactly this !

Mine reads full until I've done 150 miles, halfway is 400 miles, and then the red light comes on at 650 !

The Fuel Gauge on mine is the same, the first half on the tank seems to go forever, then it hangs around halfway for a bit. Once it's had enough of that the rest of the tank seems to be consumed at an alarming rate :unsure:

Wow! took me ages to learn to the car to get that sort of mileage. My first tanks averaged 275 miles :lol:

Just had 412miles from 55 litres. 34mpg.

240 of it on the M1, the rest short journeys to and from work

I've just done 392 miles on 52 liters , 34 mpg with no motorway driving.

Paul

Got 350 miles out of my 2006 2.2 ctdi last time. About 33 litres of nitro+ at a total cost of 50 quid. 120 miles of that was motorway, rest was town driving.
An avg of 48.22 mpg. Quite impressive considering how I drive!

Last time I filled up with a full tank, the trip was showing 787 miles on a full tank @ a constant speed of 65. I always use Nitro+.

560 miles on the odometer when I bottled it and filled it up. The computer recokoned another 70 miles. It also reckoned it had averaged 50 mpg, although my own calcs came out at 48.

I find the trip computer accurate to within 2mpg when I tested it years ago.

I get over 600 to a tank on my diesel, bog standard spec.

Around town in summer I get 45, dips by about 5 mpg in winter.

Had the car for over 5 years and am paranoid about fuel economy so I know it's usage inside out.

According to my fuel tracking website (and my clear memories) twice I've hit 660 miles on a single tank:
http://www.carspending.com/en/vehicles/1-honda-accord-i-ctdi-executive?Fuelings_sort=FuelingDistance.desc

First time I could have done 700-800, it was calm driving at around 60-70mph with no AC and I had 10-15 more litres in my tank when filled up. Second time was same driving but half way AC and I had almost reached the bottom.

PS: On that link you can see quite detailed history of my mileage for the past 3 years and there are many other petrol and diesel accords that can be browsed for reference on fuel costs.

I have done 450 miles on half a tank. I sense a new personal record soon !

Got 430miles on my 2.4 when the fuel light came on, mostly motorway and some A roads with climate on auto.

I have done 450 miles on half a tank. I sense a new personal record soon !
Half a tank according to the fuel gauge is probably more like three quarters of a tank in reality. Bet you don't get 450 miles off the second half. :lol:

A round trip to Norfolk at the weekend clocked up 390 miles and an average of 56mpg. That's a mixture of motorways, dual carriageways, A roads, B roads, and a field. :lol:

I filled it before and after the trip and worked out the mpg by hand, and it was the same as the computer said - which is reassuring.

Haha, you're telling me :)

No but, on the tank where I did c670miles the hallway mark was 390 miles

SO this tank is going to be a good un !

Half a tank according to the fuel gauge is probably more like three quarters of a tank in reality. Bet you don't get 450 miles off the second half. :lol:

It seems that is the most anyone has got on the petrol accord ?

Damn, I'm happy I didn't buy one of those. I'm sure their fun to drive but I couldn't live with that fuel consumption

Got 430miles on my 2.4 when the fuel light came on, mostly motorway and some A roads with climate on auto.

You guys need to have some fun.

2.0l petrol and max i have ever got is 310 miles! Usually around the 250 ish figure.

But then again i live next to some amazing country roads and my temptation gets the better of me pretty much every night.

I do enjoy it though B)

I might try this whole eco thing........................

764 miles for a new record last night. The fuel warning light came on at 698 miles. The fuel warning light is supposed to come on when you have 10 litres left which would be after 55 litres have been used.

Yet when I filled up (to the brim) it came to 56.86 litres. The engine will have used more than 1.86 litres to cover 66 miles, so my warning light must come on earlier than it the manual says...

61.0 MPG

It seems that is the most anyone has got on the petrol accord ?

Damn, I'm happy I didn't buy one of those. I'm sure their fun to drive but I couldn't live with that fuel consumption

430 miles on a NA 2.4 lump is exceptional, i would have it no other way.

I get the same figures, if you red line it and go for thrills you would get near to 300 miles or less on a tank.

sure, diesels get another 200 or so miles on a full tank but for refinement and pleasure you cant beat a k24 Honda.

motoring is meant to be an enjoyment, not worrying about how many miles you get on a tank.

people who constantly hog roads i think they are the type who try get the last inch from the tank which drives me mad.

My mate get nearly 40 from his NA 2.7 V6 in his Golf, although he's got less weight to carry.

I've had my Type S tourer now for 2 months, and I've been testing its MPG capability. Managed to get 520 out of a tank recently. Nearly all motorway, with a few people in the car. Cruise control on 90% of the time.
Though i just burned through a tank and got about 320 miles all London traffic and lots of short fun bursts

764 miles for a new record last night. The fuel warning light came on at 698 miles. The fuel warning light is supposed to come on when you have 10 litres left which would be after 55 litres have been used.

Yet when I filled up (to the brim) it came to 56.86 litres. The engine will have used more than 1.86 litres to cover 66 miles, so my warning light must come on earlier than it the manual says...

61.0 MPG
Nice
I should be on for something similar (hopefully 740ish), but I've been driving mainly on A and B roads with about a third motorway driving, plus the wife has been clocking a few miles round town eating up the precious MPG! last couple of tanks have been 692 and 696 miles on a 59 litre fill up but again these were achieved with 2 thirds A and B roads driving plus the odd spirited bit of driving here and there.

When the trip computer in my car reads 0 miles remaining I normally get an additional 20 miles before filling up and the tank usually has 5 - 6 litres still in there.

sorry about the double post but the site gave me a fatal error when posting so I thought it didn't post.

Don't worry, we've had a couple of these happen in the last few days. Seems the bug from a fortnight ago might be back... :unsure: ? I'll delete your double post :) .