What's new

Wheel bearing fault?

Wilderman

Members
Reaction score
Car
Gen7 Vtec sport
Since picking up my accord a couple of weeks ago ive noticed what I think is the sound of a worn wheel bearing. The reason im not 100% it is that is because the car had very recently (less then 200 miles ago) been MOT'd with no advisories. Ive also read on this forum about the rear brakes that can seize on but ive felt the brake discs after driving and none of them are particularly hot. Can a car pass an MOT with only a slightly worn bearing? Any ideas what else could make the sound?
The car has 88k on the clock if this helps.

I've read that when a wheel bearing is on its way out in the Accord, it isn't obviously noticeable for a long time. Don't know if there's any truth in this, but it would suggest at it not getting picked up in an MOT.

On the other hand, is it constantly happening. I suddenly thought one day I had an issue, but realised it was the road surface. The Accord is pretty fussy about tyres with regards to both tram-lining and road noise. I have fairly cheap tyres on and on certain surfaces the noise is like a wheel bearing or something. Only it's definitely the road surface as it will go when the road surface changes but the speed remains constant. Strange I know.

If your car had an MOT 200 miles ago then I highly doubt it is the wheel bearings. 200 miles is no distance at all so if it wasn't present at the MOT then it wouldn't have developed in that amount of time since.

You sure it's not something simple like a stone caught between the shield and the brake disk?

As said the accord can also be very fussy on tyres and road noise.

Just had another look at the MOT certificate and its actualy done 1400 miles since it was issued, not 200. So much for my memory :huh: ahem
Does seem constant, more noticeable on smooth surfaces but obviuosly thats because theres generaly less tyre noise.
Would it be worth jacking it up and giving the wheels a wobble?
Tyre wise it has Yokohamas on the front and Firestone on the rear, both with a good amount of tread left.
If it the bearing, is it something that needs doing asap?

The check on wheel bearings carried out in the MOT is fairly basic and will only pick up a bearing that is badly worn.

I'd suggest you do the "wheel wobble" test - 3mm or so at the wheel rim is OK. Then rotate the wheel slowly by hand feeling for any roughness and finally spin the wheel and listen for noises. To check any further will involve a bit of dismantling in order to separate brake issues from wheel bearing issues.

Wheel bearings can feel quite smooth, with no excessive play, and yet whine in use. It's a symptom of wear but not to the point of being dangerous.

Alan

I previously thought my rear wheel bearings had gone, since changing my tyres the noise has gone completely.

In addition to the good previous advice I would suggest the following.

Find a wide road that has a smooth surface an no other traffic.
Get the car up to about 40 mph and then steer in a slalom fashion, loading the wheels/bearings and listening for any changes in noise.

If a bearing is failing this is usually when you get the first signs, the wheel/s under load when the noise gets worse requires stripping.

PS make sure you have not got a rook rack on as these can give off harmonics similar to wheel bearing whines

Thank you for all the advice B) Ill try the above suggestions and see how it goes. Its interesting to hear how sensitive the accord is to tyre choice. Looks like Ill have to do some serious research when the time comes to change them.

Its correct a worn bearing when tested for movement may not show signs of it, as in my case but if its worn enough it will be apparent by the droning noise and pronounced over any tyre noise. You may also find the noise lessens around long swooping bends, I wouldn't worry too much until its gets worse and then it will become obvious.

I would also look into tyres, you could be confusing tyre noise with bearing.

Since picking up my accord a couple of weeks ago ive noticed what I think is the sound of a worn wheel bearing. The reason im not 100% it is that is because the car had very recently (less then 200 miles ago) been MOT'd with no advisories. Ive also read on this forum about the rear brakes that can seize on but ive felt the brake discs after driving and none of them are particularly hot. Can a car pass an MOT with only a slightly worn bearing? Any ideas what else could make the sound?
The car has 88k on the clock if this helps.

I had an '06 tourer (17" wheels) that made a dreadful droning noise, convincing me that the wheel bearings were worn out as that is exactly what it sounded like. I discovered in the end that it was tyre noise (in my case generated by incorrect rear whell alignment. That fixed solved the problem.........until I fitted Contiental Sport contact tyres which were just horribly noisy. IMO the best tyres were oem fitment Michelin pilot sport. Expensive but longlasting, quiet and comfortable.
I drove an 09 tourer recently (50k miles) and that droned like a demon, which I'm sure was caused by unevenly worn mismatched tyres, as the one I ended up buying was fine on its Michelin Primacy tyres.

Thanks again for your replys. Turns out it is the tyres making the sound. Had a Honda mechanic take a quick look, we went for a drive then he felt round the inside of the tyres and found the tread blocks were uneven, probably due to being over inflated at some point he reckoned. Other interesting point to note is that he said doesn't remember ever having to do a wheel bearing on this model, and he's been working for honda for a few years now.