What's new

Wheel Bearing noise

smokingman

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer 2008/9
Hi.
I have a Mk8 tourer and i am sure one of the off side wheel bearing is making a howling noise at above 50mph. I have jacked up the rears (that seem to be the most likely from what I can hear) and can not find any play in the bearing by trying to rock at various points (6 oclock, and 9:15) unable to detect any play. Even spinning they seem quiet. Same with the front.

Any other way to find duff bearing?

Sometimes it has to be under load for the noise to be clear. Its not that bad of a job to change them and not too expensive either. If you suspect one side has gone, you might as well do both while you are there. Just get decent branded ones, avoid cheapo ebay ones.

Sometimes it can be a tyres that can make a noise similar to bearing sounds.

Did you spin the rear wheels as fast as you can whilst in the air?

More likely tyres, as the tire wears the compound changes and often causes a rumbling sound.

I have replaced both my rear bearings at 90K. 8th Gen Idtec Saloon and I do drive with care.

The tires were new earlier this year and have done about 2k miles and they were my first thought, and what I can determine it is the rear off side. Yes I did spin as fast as possible while jacked up.

Yeah it needs to be under load to hear it in your case I think. How many miles are on the car now?

^Good tyres. I would change the bearing if it was me. And do both sides. Decent branded ones otherwise you will be doing them again very soon. Its not a hard job to do. Just take your time and clean rust off any bits you see as you go.

Its the weekend so time to change the rear bearing!

Yes the old one was rough as a Badger rear end.

Obtained replacement (Borg And Beck) from motor factors after providing reg number. Took hub apart removed bearing and compared to replacement seemed OK however when offered up to the hub the mounting holes were about 2.5mm nearer the center of the hub, so the PCD was about 5mm short.

Back to motor factors who cross checked and most part numbers checked out the same. However one was different so that is on order for Monday.

So the questions are:- anyone know a good manufacture and part number?

Any other advise.

Bearing obtained from motor factors, a Bilstein-Febi, which is a perfect match for the Honda item by cross reference the part numbers (42200-TLO-G51 with Lings) and is printed on the box see picture.

Fitted with no issue all in about 45min. However the bearing rumble is still there while not so obvious, as mentioned by @edgeoftime swapped wheels round no difference!

Whats the chance of two rear bearings dying slowly!!!

Mileage is 140K.

Attachments

• bearing.jpg
    bearing.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 11
You only did one bearing? I would always do them in a pair on the same axle.

Guys.
Just an update. Obviously the O/S was not at fault. So had a really good listen to the near side could just about make out a very very slight bit of noise. Long story short I replaced that bearing with the one I had previously removed. While it only made the smallest amount of noise and it spun fine with no discernable grittiness It was obviously the one as problem solved. It cost £135 so to do both was not a viable option.