What's new

Where to service my car?

Sphinx

Members
Reaction score
Car
2007 2.2i CTDi EX
Hi,

Got a couple of question regarding a newish honda I have purchased.

(I did do a search but it didn't bring up anything specific)

The car I have is a 2007 2.2i CDTi EX.

It just ticked over 60k and I want to get the oil changed as the last service was done at 49k.

Couple of questions :

1) Before I joined this forum I checked the dipstick the oil level was a little below minimum. (car was warmed up and on level ground) - Since these cars hold 5.9L of oil, I thought this was very low. So I topped it up with 1L of Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel Oil 0w30 - now the dipstick reads just below maximum. Eh??? Whats going on? Is this normal?

2) Can anyone recommend a good Honda Dealer in West Midlands to get the 60K (62.5k according to the service booK) service done? Have heard some dealers are using 5w-30 which can ultimately kill the engine??

Many Thanks

Sphinx

covered loads here dude. 1 litre is the difference between min and max.

total is 5.9 litres.

servicing is an easy DIY and we have deals with a honda dealer in stoke and an oil trader.

Yeah DIY it, I've just ordered the following for my 2.2 diesel

Air Filter
Pollen Filter
Fuel Filter
Oil Filter
Sump Washer

All delivered for the total of £72.06 (next day delivery too) from Holdcroft Honda I bought the bulk 25L oil from lubetech will save you a fortune. I did try and get my local dealer to price match the parts but they said they couldnt get anywhere near the price Holdcroft had quoted me.

Well if you know what a spanner is, then DIY and there is plenty of help on here.

Otherwise Holdcroft in Stoke

A couple of things..

You warmed up the car before you checked the oil? I'll wait for your answer before saying anything :)

While we advocate a diy task for this, I can understand why it is just not practical at times and if you do want to take it to the dealers all I can really recommend is to take your own oil in for them to use (this will also save a bit from your bill)...it's also the only way to know you have the correct oil in the car. While you would think that a dealer would use the exact grade of oil you require for the car, in most cases you'll find that the oil used depends on what bulk deal the dealer has with the supplier at a given time, so the oil used may vary from one time to the next.

A couple of things..

You warmed up the car before you checked the oil? I'll wait for your answer before saying anything :)

While we advocate a diy task for this, I can understand why it is just not practical at times and if you do want to take it to the dealers all I can really recommend is to take your own oil in for them to use (this will also save a bit from your bill)...it's also the only way to know you have the correct oil in the car. While you would think that a dealer would use the exact grade of oil you require for the car, in most cases you'll find that the oil used depends on what bulk deal the dealer has with the supplier at a given time, so the oil used may vary from one time to the next.

Hi,

Yes the engine was at normal temp - before I topped up.

The reason I am going to the dealer - is that it has Full Honda History so far - and ideally I would like to keep it that way.

Been quoted £230 inc VAT for the 62.5k service (also includes diesel fuel filter + coolant change!).

Hopefully all should be ok.

Regards

Sphinx

*** EDIT - Just rang them and asked what grade of Oil they are using - they said 5w-30. :eek:

Is it really that bad for the car? Might just buy some oil and take it as suggested??

level yes cold no. run engine till warm, then leave for 10 mins or so iirc.

^^ Sorry that's incorrect. The Engine SHOULD BE COLD. Please see the sticky:

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/524-recommended-oil-level-checking/page__pid__49002#entry49002

Please do not give out duff advice guys.

5w30 will not kill your engine, but anything thicker might. Honda recommend 0w/30 and that's what we need to stick to.

F6HAD - unfortunately your link doesn't work.

Out of interest - Why check the engine when cold?

sure it says different in the manual. but apologies if I'm wrong.

Page 349 of the manual says to have the engine warm and check approx 3 mins later.

well i weren't far off :lol:

This is the correct procedure (sorry Dan wasn't aware of what's in the manual but a warm engine for checking oil doesn't make sense anyway)

Diesel Engine oil level checking

When checking the oil level on the Accord diesel, please follow the procedure below. Failure to use this
procedure can result in an oil level reading that is not correct. Engine oil overfilling can result in serious engine
damage.
Procedure for general engine oil level measurement
Use this procedure for normal service checking of oil level.
1. Park the vehicle on level ground, If engine is cold go to step 2, If the engine has reached normal operating
temperature switch off the engine and wait for 20 to 25 minutes and then go to step 2.
2. Withdraw the dipstick and wipe clean. Insert the dipstick fully.
3. Withdraw the dipstick and hold horizontally while reading, to ensure that oil does not run up or down the dipstick.
4. The oil level should be between the maximum and minimum marks on the dipstick. Volume of oil required to bring
oil level from minimum to maximum is 1.0 litre.

Thanks.

Where did you get that procedure from?

I made it up ;)

It's the official Honda procedure as recommended to their Dealer Network.

For west mid servicing I would try either Honda in Shirley sorry cant remember name or if you dont mind a wee bit further my first port of call would be Holdcroft Honda stoke.

Yes faddy is right you should check the diesel engine when cold to get an accurate level.

So we were both right, which is nice :) - but it does beg the question - why is there differing advise from Honda?

err no I'm right, you're wrong :p

I have a big book with Honda stamped on it that tells me I'm right :p :p :lol:

Well my info comes from the Honda God himself.

oh .... :(.

The manual for my accord (pre-facelift) says to check when the engine is cold. The petrol you can check after a few mins; presumably they've changed it for the facelift manuals? I've always checked when cold, if the engine has been run recently there will be oil in the oilways that doesn't fully drain down into the sump so you might overfill it. Having said all that, I've found that checking the level when the engine is still warm gives a higher reading on the dipstick than when its cold. Must be thermal expansion on the aluminium block?

Took my car in today to Colliers Honda in Sutton Coldfield.

Also took in my own Oil - 0w-30 Castrol Edge - which they happily deducted off the bill.

62.5k Service came to £130 inc vat.

Happy Days.

Yes I know. :blush:

Car has full Honda history - so I decided to keep it like that.

^ I didnt mean it like I was taking the pee. Just curious. As long as the car is getting serviced, thats the main thing. Proactive maintenance, thats what i like to see.

No worries dude - I know what you meant... :p

In reality though some items on the sheet are taking the **** - in my opinion. :unsure:

Was just checking the sheet :

Carry out 62.5k Service - £77
Carry out Engine Flush and Fuel Additive - £15.32
Environmental Disposal £8.99 (WTF???)
Element Kit : £11.53
Washer Plug : £1.77

Total : £114.61 + VAT (£134.66) :eek:

Work carried out :

Replace Oil + Filter
Check lights Alignment
Test Drive for Noise, Stability and Dashboard operation
Check Tie Rod Ends, Steering Gearbox and boots
Check Suspension Components
Check Driveshaft Boots
Check Brake Hoses and Lines (including ABS)
All Fluid levels and condition of fluid
Exhaust System
Fuel Lines and connections

Drain Fuel Filter
Replace Coolant
Inspect for Vechicle Corrosion (Every 12 Months).

Will probably change the oil myself in about 7k-ish as a interim change