What's new

Which replacement air intake / filter to use ?

TonyK7ng87 said:
yeah i read up on it. it works in exactly the same way as your stock filter housing. seems like alot of hype and alot of wonga to me mate. if u popped an adaptor in your stock airbox u could fit a small cone inside that too lol
That's right, but the icebox flows the air more smooth inside, as there are no resonation chambers anymore. It's the compromise between an oem airbox and an aftermarket cold air intake. The pro's of the cai with the design of an oem airbox. They aren't thát expensive, are they?

You could custom make a cold air intake into the standard airbox.. A bit of fiddling and you would have same result for alot less than what the icebox costs

They are a couple of hundreds pounds I think, unless I'm mistaking it for the Gruppe M prices, but pretty sure they cost a few bob.

like sim said.
just like what ive done. I using my hks panel filter with an open airbox and 3 custom cold air feeds.
(open airbox means only using top of oem filter housing)

the vtec sound is absolutely amazing. ill upload sound clip or vid later :)

you will get a lot of heatsoak with the open airbox and lose torque and they run funny during hot weather when stuck in traffic, one of the benefits of the icebox is its all close off and the air stays cold.

No really exec... The come will be protected by the top of the box... Thats why you get plates to surround a short ram... You wont by any means get much heatsoak... I think alot of folk kinda make a big issue out of nout.. Your hardly pushing big power lol if you give a cone plenty of cover then youll be fine.. And as tony says.. Hes got cold feeds going to the box.. You could always run a short ram into the oem filter box.. You only really need the top of the box and the plastic side that the engines next to so that will stop the heatsoak... This can be joined together via melting the plastic together.. Or just get a new shield made up... Will solve the problem.. And icebox is not worth the money or effort on our cars.. As youll never get much improvement lol

sim im with you on this buddy.
i only use the top part of the airbox and my HKS panel filter. the filter is sealed to the top unit and sits further down near where the resonator ports are. i have 2 cool air feeds 1 at either side of the fogs and 1 coming up from where the resonator was :)

Exec please understand i test my car as well as hundreds of other as I have my own dyno and produce alot of custom parts ect.
Ive ran my open box set up on the dyno with no fan to simulate more than the hottest day we will ever get here and the car still pulls 12% better than stock airbox set up.
My own design on my airbox pulls air from 3 sources that are channelled nowhere near any heat sources.
In time i will be constructing a stock airbox design out of carbon to reduce the temperature even further. As extreme as it sounds im in the process of designing custom head, valves, cams, conrods, bearings ect to make the F18B2 a real contender to any Type R and keeping the price sensible so normal people can mod their cars and pull more power from there existing units for little money.

TonyK7ng87 said:
sim im with you on this buddy.
i only use the top part of the airbox and my HKS panel filter. the filter is sealed to the top unit and sits further down near where the resonator ports are. i have 2 cool air feeds 1 at either side of the fogs and 1 coming up from where the resonator was :)

Exec please understand i test my car as well as hundreds of other as I have my own dyno and produce alot of custom parts ect.
Ive ran my open box set up on the dyno with no fan to simulate more than the hottest day we will ever get here and the car still pulls 12% better than stock airbox set up.
My own design on my airbox pulls air from 3 sources that are channelled nowhere near any heat sources.
In time i will be constructing a stock airbox design out of carbon to reduce the temperature even further. As extreme as it sounds im in the process of designing custom head, valves, cams, conrods, bearings ect to make the F18B2 a real contender to any Type R and keeping the price sensible so normal people can mod their cars and pull more power from there existing units for little money.

Will keep you updated mate.
just gotta finish my rebuild on my DC5 integra then ill be putting all my time into the F18B ;)