What's new

whistling sound

philjory

Members
Reaction score
Car
honda accord
can anyone help me please, I have started to get a whistling sound from my 2,2 icdti 2004 and it's now done 110000 miles, the whistle comes when i accelerate

Is it a whine or a definate whistle?

Have you checked the hoses for boost leaks?? some leaks only appear when the engine moves and reveals a split hose. Make sure to check the hose's to and from the IC and the IC condition as well.

it sounds like a police car siren

I would first check all the hoses, but if its like a police siren then that sounds like your turbo is knackered.

A decent re-conditioner will do a 48hr turn around for about £550ish.

is it safe to continue to drive the car

its one of those things mate it could go on for ages just with that noise or it could pack up tomorrow. The noise from your description is not normal and If it was my motor I would be worried about the turbo going and bits finding there way into expensive places.

its one of those things mate it could go on for ages just with that noise or it could pack up tomorrow. The noise from your description is not normal and If it was my motor I would be worried about the turbo going and bits finding there way into expensive places.
I second what Monks is saying, you don't want the engine to ingest any bits that could potentially break off.

Whilst i agree with the above, lets make sure that this inst just normal turbo whistle... the car does only have 110k on the clock.

I did 2 videos a while back on youtube to show the forum members what 'turbo whistle' sounds like from our VNT turbos.

Turbo when cold / cold start up Cold start / turbo noise

Turbo when engine up to temp: Warm idle / drive turbo whistle

our turbos have variable intake nossels in them (google VNT Turbos) They will make more noise than a conventional turbo as they provide boost almost instantly due to nossel deflection.

You need to start worrying if you turbo sounds like this: (not mine BTW)

horrible noise!

I hope this helps before you spend £600 :)

Adam

Whilst i agree with the above, lets make sure that this inst just normal turbo whistle... the car does only have 110k on the clock.

I did 2 videos a while back on youtube to show the forum members what 'turbo whistle' sounds like from our VNT turbos.

our turbos have variable intake nossels in them (google VNT Turbos) They will make more noise than a conventional turbo as they provide boost almost instantly due to nossel deflection.

horrible noise!

Adam
Whilst I agree with your very informative post I can't help but think from Phil's desciption that its the last link obviously he's the only one who can say. Having said that lets hope that its something more benign and less costly to repair.

Whilst I agree with your very informative post I can't help but think from Phil's desciption that its the last link obviously he's the only one who can say. Having said that lets hope that its something more benign and less costly to repair.
Thanks for your reply, to me it sounds more like the cold start noise except that it is more audable and sounds the same when cold and warm. I have had the car for almost 5 years now and it was only yesterday that i first heard the sound it is more like a police car siren.
I had the RAC out today to take a look at it and he also thought it was the turbo although he did not do any actual testing with any instruments ect. You mentioned the sum of £800 is that a supply only price or with fitting and where do you get your advice from, do you work for Honda or another manufacture. I ask the last question puerly out of interest as i don't know anything about cars except how to drive them.

horrible noise!
Thanks for your reply, to me it sounds more like the cold start noise except that it is more audable and sounds the same when cold and warm. I have had the car for almost 5 years now and it was only yesterday that i first heard the sound it is more like a police car siren.
I had the RAC out today to take a look at it and he also thought it was the turbo although he did not do any actual testing with any instruments ect. You mentioned the sum of £800 is that a supply only price or with fitting and where do you get your advice from, do you work for Honda or another manufacture. I ask the last question puerly out of interest as i don't know anything about cars except how to drive them.

Adam

right... you say it sounds more like the cold start noise...
Let me make another video tomorrow and compare it to that.

if its not like the last video i dont think your tuebo is going... but the fact it has suddenly become more audiable is worrying and does point to a turbo issue.

Out of interest, whats your usual driving habbits?
do you turn the key and drive off?
after a drive, do you let the car idle for a minute then turn off?

right... you say it sounds more like the cold start noise...
Let me make another video tomorrow and compare it to that.

if its not like the last video i dont think your tuebo is going... but the fact it has suddenly become more audiable is worrying and does point to a turbo issue.

Out of interest, whats your usual driving habbits?
do you turn the key and drive off?
after a drive, do you let the car idle for a minute then turn off?
Yes i turn the key and drive off and when i stop i turn off, why do you ask?

Yes i turn the key and drive off and when i stop i turn off, why do you ask?
it is advisable to let the car warm up a bit before driving off,also to let the car idle before you switch to let the turbo stop spooling..ircc

Yep agree to prolong the life of your turbo don't drive hard until the engine is at normal temp.
Also when you are at the end if your journey let the car idel fit about 30 sec to let the turbo to slow down.
This is very important because as soon as you turn the car off it stops the supply of oil to the turbo.if its still spoiling then with no oil for lube thus will cause premature wear.

as the above have said, you need to let the oil warm up before using too many revs, and you need to let the car cool down before you turn off the engine

Mate, take it a decent garage and get a professional opinion. A failing turbo isn't best diagnosed on a forum like this. It could be your turbo, or could even be an alternator bearing - the two can sound surprisingly similar.

^^ exactly what I was thinking.

Agree also with a short cool down before switching off is vital on a turbo. Personally I don't see the need for warm up, but drive steady while the engine is warming.

Oil has been mentioned twice, but no one has asked WHAT OIL?? I can throw a bit of light on this, I wrongly ran my car on 10/40w for quite a while, it performed well and I had no worries, it too sang to me when cold, which went away as the engine warmed up. However coming onto this forum I learned that 0/30w is the oil to use, even though the "book" shows other acceptable grades. The last oil change I used 0/30 with a new filter, and the engine is transformed, much quieter and responsive. What about yours?? Now reading 165,000 happy miles.

Agree also with a short cool down before switching off is vital on a turbo.

I don't see the need for a cooldown either unless your driveway backs onto a high speed road - for most people, the final 30mph stretch leading to your door is more than enough for the turbo to cool.

The turbos I've seen making that police siren sound tend to have damage to one of the vanes resulting in a kicked out edge, which is what disturbs the air as it spins. In all other respects they can be absolutely fine, and if there's no noticeable smoke or rattle then it has to be worth a look. If that's the case you have to ask what hit it, and where did it come from? Reconditioning a turbo without digging into the cause of failure risks the same thing happening again.

Can anyone give me any advice as to what would be a reasonable price to pay for the supply and fitting of a reconditioned turbo

Find out the price for a recon turbo and add £120 labour.