What's new

White smoke & water from exhaust

Original Nutta

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer 2.4
As topic ***le, since I purchased the car i get white smoke mainly when car is idle and just before take off and water from exhaust is there something wrong with the car?

Sounds normal to me, what with the cold weather now initially there will be white smoke and water is fine. Same as mine.

Sounds normal to me as well, mine does it too, nothing to worry about :) :) :)

Ashzz the white smoke is constant and not only when car is warming up or due to the cold weather as this happens on the hottest days too

Do you have a petrol or diesel? Is your engine oil consumption high? How many miles before topping up?

I have a petrol. Only had the car few months done approx 1000 miles and just checked oil level and it needs a slight top up which I haven't done yet

^ this! The 2.4 does put out a lot of white smoke on cold/damp starts and we've had plenty of that lately.

depends whether one means "smoke" or "vapour"

"smoke" = big problem

"vapour" = H2O condensation in the exhaust gas ...IIRC about 50% of exhaust gas is normally H2O as part of the combustion process, any more that 50% (which is impossible for the likes of us to measure) and there is some extra H2O getting into the combustion space from we-all-know-where. It is feasible that the twin exhaust on the 2.4 allows the air-flow to slow down so much that the H2O is more likely to cool and produce condensate

Mine has done this from the day Iv had the car on colder days.Mine is just vapour though

Yeah, good point Brian. Vapour is white and is ok. White smoke = bad!

Original Nutta said:
How can i tell if its smoke or vapour
compare it with a bonfire :lol:

seriously get a large glass jar and hold it over the end of the exhaust and smell the jar .....if it's smoke it will smell of smoke, if it's vapour there shouldn't be much smell, and, the "smoke" should have turned to water

I still haven't done the glass test. But its always letting of vapour or smoke even after 1 hour of driving. And the other day i pakred up and noticed it was still vapping / smoking with engine off. Im really worried about this apart from jar test what else can i do. I am going to test with jar when i go out to play footy in half hour

Nope coolant level isn't dropping at all i went to fill anti freeze the other day and the level was maximum so i didnt put any in

what about oil, is the oil level dropping ?

basically ....

1. if the water level drops a lot, then it's vapour coming out the exhaust indicating head gasket or similar
2. if you're putting engine oil in frequently, then it's smoke coming out the exhaust indicating piston rings or valve guides or similar

if neither of those, then it's H2O vapour from combustion which is normal, and will be seen in weather conditions that are cold and damp ....looking out the window, it's been like that in Leicestershire for several weeks now

I will try to wake up an old post.
I need help with what kind of piston rings do 2.4 2003 engines of K24A3 have. I am asking as there are 2 types shown and used by Honda - OS (OverSized) and STD (Standard).
I understand that OS are for OS Pistons and STD are for STD Pitons, but which are the ones used for these engines, the price is the same for both options?

Thanks!