What's new

Will i need a new clutch?

Amjad

Members
Reaction score
I am considering a remap but want to know whether I will need a new clutch. I really don't want to be spending money on a clutch so wondering how many are running a remapped car on the original clutch.

Mine is a 2006 model with 70k on the clock.

Amjad mate most of us are running a remap stage 1 from fahad.Regardless if your car has a new map in my mind is not related to clutch issues.If you do a search you will find out lots of info on this.

If your clutch is goosed your clutch is goosed. A remap will not change anything apart from the time to realisation.

If you have an i-CTDI then you need a remap. If you have a few miles on the clock then you need to be happy with the overall performance of the car; and if it is on the original clutch, that you have the funds available to change it if need be.

As has been proved soooo many times, the map does not wear your clutch more than a standard map. It is the way you drive.

Amjad, our Stage 1 Remap is designed to be relatively soft on the clutch with an even and very linear power band.. However if the clutch is already quite worn, it's possible the remap can cause it to slip.

It's not something any tuner will guarantee, a clutch is a clutch - it's designed to wear out.

And can a clutch be done yourself, or is it something that MUST go to the dealer?

Honda only if you want it done proper as you need a special tool and the sub frame has to come off

Honda only if you want it done proper as you need a special tool and the sub frame has to come off
Very true as Nick says.Also if you can get to HH to do the works its highly recommended.

I got the car remapped on Monday by Fahad.

It really transforms the car and makes it so much more enjoyable to drive.

I was half expecting a harsh power delivery but this is not the case.

I thoroughly recommend anyone considering a remap to contact Fahad immediately !!

Hello Amjad

Glad you've got your map done. In terms of clutch theres a 90% chance you will need it changing at somepoint post remap. Most members here have had it done including myself. Honda is the best place for it as the clutch has a known fault and by adding more power will only increase the fault process.

Personally I would not go anywhere but Honda for the clutch, believe the price is £585 fixed for the replacement however if the flywheel needs replacing you need to budget in another £800-£1000 on top of that. Good news is Flywheel replacement is very rare and Honda check the wheel for play when they have it apart. Also only use Holdcroft Honda stoke for the work.

I don't regret getting a remap done although clutch replacement wasn't something I wanted to do but now its done I can enjoy the map properly.