What's new

Window tinting

BlamesCL9

Members
Reaction score
Car
CL9/CW3
hi guys

iw ant to get my rear 3 windows tinted. but im worried about the rear one, becuase of the rear brake light thats touching the screen. can that part be pulled off? how did you guys get it done?

Thanks

Dan

Yes it can. not sure how it comes out as it was done by the guy who tinted the window. Mines a saloon by the way.

They will just cut the film around it as you don't want film over the lens.

They will just cut the film around it as you don't want film over the lens.

??????? Mine covers the whole window including the third brake light. Doesnt effect its brightness to be honest. Had the same on my old Vectra as well.

The third brake light is not part of the MOT anyway (I thought).

What ever you do, DON'T even attempt to remove the 3rd brake light- it does not just come off. I'm not sure how it's installed but I think it's attached to, and beneath the parcel shelf. If you break the clips you might have to replace the whole unit. I tried to remove mine and broke one of the clips. After that it rattled annoyingly- and I have a subwoofer
sad.gif
. Fortunately the remaining clip is holding firm so it's all good now
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
. The 3rd brake light does actually not touch the glass, but the gap is very tight. It is very difficult for a tinter 'squeegee' behind the light hence cutting around it. I think this makes it look messy and incomplete, and for me it shows a lack of skill and professionalism from the tinter. For sure the whole glass can be tinted, but I would make sure:
1) the tinter can tint the glass WITHOUT removing the light .
2) that he can actually squeegee between the light and the glass, unless you want him to cut around it.

If he can't do the above, walk away and look for someone who can do it properly. Out of curiosty, I wonder what the charge for tinting the rear glass with the brake light cut out, and for one without!!! Prob the same
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
. Let's make sure we don't get ripped off this summer chaps
ph34r.gif
ph34r.gif
. Have a look at this American discussion on the matter (disregard the legal implications-thats for the Americans)- note the silver 08 Accord/TSX: http://www.acura-tsx...ad.php?t=713902

Im pretty sure this thread should be in the 8th gen section but here is my 2p's worth.

My CL7 has 80% tint on the rear window (1 down from limo black) and my tint covers my third brake light. There is little to no reduction in the visability of the brake light.

0a87912e-7894-4dcb-9d34-d27fd65dba7a.jpg

a30613c0-d3d9-432f-9195-e3d9edcfb8f4.jpg

ahh! thaks for the link mutsaip! very informative! agree it looks alot better with the whole screen. will ahve to drive down to the tiner and see what they can do 1st before i decide.

Good luck Dan, let us know how you get on
smile.gif

Actually I need to go and have a look at mine as I just ***umed they will have cut around it.. I'll check in the daylight tomorrow.

hi guys

iw ant to get my rear 3 windows tinted. but im worried about the rear one, becuase of the rear brake light thats touching the screen. can that part be pulled off? how did you guys get it done?

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan

did you get the tint done? what did you go for (I have a saloon and am thinking of something similar)

Cheers

Dom

hi Dom

Should be getting my tints done on friday! so ill let you know how it goes!

Guys, forgot to update this thread. I checked my car and you guys were right, the brake light is also covered!

Can't say I ever noticed so apologies for any confusion or misinformation on my part.

how much do tints add to the insurance? now i have a little one, i would like to get my car done as i think sun blinds look horrible

Nah I agree sun blinds aren't that nice compared to tinted windows. Not sure how the insurance companies view tinted windows, after all if tinted in the right shades it will improve privacy and security, i.e, smash and grab. I don't think they will reduce any premiums for that though.

Tad late, but i thought id update the thread with some pics of the car after medium tints was installed! The tinter took the rear parcel shelf out in the end to tint the rear. he also took the door windows out to fit the tints and baked them. Charged me £150. The quality of tint and installation was Top Notch! definately recoomend him to anyone looking for windows tints.

DSC_0409copy.jpg

DSC_0432copy.jpg

DSC_0428copy.jpg

Lookin real nice there buddy, is that 20% tint??

im not sure if its 20%. The tinter only has 3 grades to choose from, dark, medium and light. Dark being the only illegal one.

The good thing is that you are pleased with the result.
smile.gif
smile.gif
I have similar tint (***uming its medium/20%) on my back and rear door windows, but the fronts are light/50%.

Looking good. I've similar colour car, might get it done, looks nice.

how much do tints add to the insurance? now i have a little one, i would like to get my car done as i think sun blinds look horrible

I had my Tourer tinted for the same reason. Told my insurance company (Adrian Flux) and they said no extra charge :D

thanks for posting the pics Dan looks like a tidy job there

my car is a similar colour to yours also

I'll take a look at someone local to me - not sure whether to go for light or medium until I see it in rl

I got genuine Honda sunshades off ebay for my Tourer...Direct 4x4's. Can't remember if they do the saloon version. They are nice and dark ad really do give plenty of privacy to the rear of the car. 50 notes well spent in my book. Whatever you choose, definitely worth it for the little ones!