What's new

Winter driving

offs

Members
Reaction score
Car
59 iDTEC ES GT
My 8th Gen ES GT has 225/50 r17's and I am looking into how much it would cost for a set of winter tyres and changing them twice a year over to my summer or all season tyres. A friend of mine who owns a Mondeo got some winter tyres and swears by them, he lives in Ireland and rarely gets snow, but the grip on cold wet winter days and the improved cornering and reduced stopping distance is what he wants. However he got narrower tyres on the advice of a mechanic friend of his... and the ones he got were 97 quid a corner plus 40 quid for swapping them all over.

So, anyone here using winter tyres on their 8th Gen? Did you go for narrower tyres? Using your alloys or putting them on some steel wheels you sourced?

I had a look (http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-finder/s=1/winter/r=1/225-50-r17) and there are a lot of brands of winter tyres I have never heard of before and I am pretty sure a lot of them will not be a good choice .... are there any companies that make good, cheap, winter tyres that I would not have heard of?

I had a look in Lidl and saw that they have snow chains for 10 quid, the brand is Ultimate Speed and the ones marked 100 are listed as being suitable for 225/50r17....however they did not list whether they were 7,8,9 or 10mm. I have no idea what clearance there is on an accord front wheel... anyone know if they would be ok? .... for a tenner it gives some peace of mind.... A friend of mine living in southern Germany told me that he is always prepared for very cold/snowy weather (lol, german, what do you expect) but he makes a good point that if the guy driving in front of you is in his rear wheel drive bmw on summer tyres still then you aren't going anywhere.

Please, for the love of god do not go on about how much snow we get and how often chains are required or how cold it is and whether we need winter tyres in the UK or not. There is bound to be another forum where you can indulge yourself.

offs said:
Please, for the love of god do not go on about how much snow we get and how often chains are required or how cold it is and whether we need winter tyres in the UK or not. There is bound to be another forum where you can indulge yourself.
:lol: good point

Hi Justin Iv nether used winter tyres myself but have heard good reviews on them.
Snow chains will ruin your alloys and are a pain to put on.
Best bet for piece of mind might be snow socks but only good on soft snow.

You will certainly see the difference with winter tyres.

I work in the tyre trade, so we always put them on our vans.

I have just put them on my Accord, so, in one way, am looking forward to some lousy weather.

I use Coopers, (as we are a main dealer, and I can get them for peanuts), but you will find the budget options work well, for a good bit less money.

My wife has them on her Ibiza as she works out in the country and it gets pretty frosty and snowy there. You do get more grip and if it snows then you will be able to get about.

I've got a trolley jack and swap them over myself, takes about an hour, usually do it in November and then April. Its easier with 2 sets of wheels.

My Tyres is also a good site for alloys or steels with winter tyres. Some of the plain silver alloys are suitable for winter, they won't rust too much.

We got ours from there, quick delivery, all nicely mounted cleanly with weights, just fitted them straight on.

16" steels with Falken winter tyres are £99 each, so not too bad.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/skw.pl?cart_id=50078433.110.28853&dsco=110&sowigan=Wi&csuchen=1&Hersteller=Honda&PKWtyp=ACCORD%202.0&felge=16%20inch|5%20x%20114.30%20x%2064.00|5|50.00+&PKWtypgenau=:135154::1997:115:200807:%20%20%20%20%20%20:64.00:114.30:5:CU%201%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20: :p:E6%2A2001/116%2A0113%2A..%20&Gmarke=&Gdub=1&Ggroesse=205/60%20R16%2092T&Gfelge=&Gf_last=&sort_by=price

Its a bit of a faff to select the correct Accord model, but you need the model codes CU for saloon or CW for Tourer for the 8th gen.

A 16" alloys with a Kumho tyre is only £115, so not too much more.

As you say best to read a few winter tyre reviews and stick to good brands, the Chinese cheapies, Sunny, Goodride etc will be about as much use as a chocolate teapot!

The 8th gen will take a 16" wheel, the ES model has them as standard, 205/60 16.

Thread revival!

Does anyone know ith the type S will take a 16" wheel?

Seen a set of winter wheels and tyres local to me.
Thanks
Scott

As long as the PDC and Offset match and you put the appropriate depth tyres on, you should be ok. However, brake calliper clearance might be something to consider as the type S callipers on the 8th gen are pretty chunky double piston jobs I think.