What's new

Won't start on cold 2.2ctdi

Makrist

Reaction score
Car
Accord VII
Hi all,

My Accord 2007 just stopped starting.
It is 2.2 diesel, couple days ago we had a trip where all was ok. And now during Christmas it was not used for couples of days, when I tried to start it yesterday it didn't even turn once, it behaved like the battery is flat and started doing "click click click".
The battery has been changed about 4 months ago, 2 months ago changed injection rail, full tank of fuel (fueled after a trip), I think no errors, however before the rail change it had P2004 = INTAKE MANIFOLD RUNNER CONTROL STUCK OPEN.
Is it just a problem with outside temperature or maybe you have some ideas?

Ah the old IMRC error :)

Seriously, the IMRC is a valve within the engine that lengthens or shorten the intake pipe depending on load conditions. It can get stuck over time and may need to be cleaned/replace. If you search for the error here, you should find quite a bit on it. Also search for IMRC and EGR - both are related.

However, I'm surprised that it's preventing you from starting. Normally, it will let you start, but throw an emissions error. The click-click could be s stuck starter motor?

At the moment there is no error, the error was showing before I changed the injection rail. Now there is no fault codes at all, only the click click when key is turned.

The stuck starter motor you suggest, is there a simple diy how to try to fix it?

To see if the motor is sticking, hit it a smack! Seriously... get a tyre lever or similar and tap it a few taps to see does it unstick. Worth a try..

Sounds like a weak battery especially as the engine isn't even turning. Does it crank if you use jump leads against another car?

Yes the imrc is stuck due to build up of gunk in your inlet manifold. Have it cleaned out and think about a permanent EGR blanking and remap to prevent it happening again.

Drop me a line if you want pricing for this.