What's new

Worst sounding Accord ever say Holdcroft!

Bland

Members
Reaction score
Car
07 Tourer EX CTDI
Right, what a few weeks, rear calliper ceased after being replaced 2 years back, powered tailgate died, bird destroyed wing and now its started making a right racket.

I was somewhat worried it was a turbo or injector initially but lack of smoke ruled them out. Took the belt off and it went so it was something on the pulley system. Had it into Holdcroft Stoke as i was happy to pay the £50 rather than mess about potentially replacing parts that didnt need replacing taking time im short of. They say water pump is gone.

They say its the worst sounding accord they have heard. Well it does and always has sounded like a bag of spanners since i bought it at end of lease when 4yrs old. Since then ive put 40K on it and i have popped into honda stockport to ask aout the noise (prob after 6 months of ownership) where the mechanic said it will be the chain rattling but they dont snap so dont worry.

I suspect its had the wrong oil in as i remember seeing receipts for Kwik Fit when i bought the car but didnt think anything of it at the time, nor did i do my research, and im sure i put 5/30 in last time i serviced it a few thousand miles back. oops!

SO it prob does need the chains doing to be fair, however im beyond skint and to be honest not really that concerned as it sounds no different to ever before with the belt off.

Just had a look at pictures of pump while on the phone to my trusty mechanic and the water pump looks easy to replace, drain and 7 bolts, fill up. Ill do that asap and put some decent 0w/30 oil in for the time being and see if that has any short term effect.

Question is, ill get the chain done, however a quick glance at ebay suggests there are 2 kits, one has one belt and the other has 2. Ill replace guides and tensioners too but what about sprockets?

Can anyone who has done this point me in the right direction for a decent priced chain kit inc sprockets and confirm what grade oil should be in there.

Cheers guys

Grade oil 0w 30.About chain kit,you must contact Hh,they doing discounts for TA members.

And they do snap!

Tomas, who is Hh for calling re discount on timing chain?

As an update, Holdcroft diagnosed the water pump and chains. To get rid of the new noise, not the chains which have always sounded terrible) i had a new water pump fitted and guess what, there wasnt a sausage wrong with the old one! Thats nearly £200 down the drain.

What annoyed me most is that Holdcroft wanted £120 for diagnosis as their guy had spent ages on it (partly because i asked about the tailgate not working). I didnt pay it, just the £50 originally quoted, and now their technician has completely wasted my time and money as any blind mechanic could have felt the pump and bearing and realised it was fine (I have the old one and its like new!).

Local garage reckons its the crankshaft pulley, ill try post a video later of the noise to see if anyone has any better idea.

With a noisy chain, how can anyone diagnose anything else?

Because the two are completely different noises and the one in question disappears when the belt is removed.

So you take a car in for a diagnosis for an agreed amount, then ask for something else to be looked at but not expect to pay for it?

Bland said:
Tomas, who is Hh for calling re discount on timing chain?

As an update, Holdcroft diagnosed the water pump and chains. To get rid of the new noise, not the chains which have always sounded terrible) i had a new water pump fitted and guess what, there wasnt a sausage wrong with the old one! Thats nearly £200 down the drain.

What annoyed me most is that Holdcroft wanted £120 for diagnosis as their guy had spent ages on it (partly because i asked about the tailgate not working). I didnt pay it, just the £50 originally quoted, and now their technician has completely wasted my time and money as any blind mechanic could have felt the pump and bearing and realised it was fine (I have the old one and its like new!).

Local garage reckons its the crankshaft pulley, ill try post a video later of the noise to see if anyone has any better idea.
Darren how can you blame HH if you asked them to look at your tail gate as well.
All dealers will work on an hourly rate and charge you for there time

did someone say tailgate not working ......there's an excellent thread in the "7th gen faults" section

hello. you may be glad to hear that my eyesight is very much top knotch, however it is sad to hear Mr Bland was not happy with the diagnosis given. when diagnosing nosies such as described in this post it is very difficult to say the leist when it sounds like the timing chain is about to snap. however different the noise may be with the belt on or off, if the over riding noise is the same you are fighting a loosing battle. indeed a thorough inspection was carried out and there was roughness to the water pump when spun by hand. did mr bland feel it himself and give an expert opinion or was it on looks alone? all other pullies spun smoothly and with no noise. a visual check of the crank pully showed no wobble and no obvious sighn of separation. the shorter aux belt was fitted but the extra pully not removed? perhaps its the alternator? but there is no noise or roughness. not even with a stethoscope on its body while spinning?

lets re-cap. I can go with the cheapest item on the list and one that I defiantly felt some roughness and slight noise when spun? or take a wild guess and say its the alternator or crank pully? maybe it could be the compressor? all of which are either very expensive and no obvious cause of this extra noise on top of the timing chain.

or do you trust the mechanic who guessed at the crank pully when the noise is apparently only when the belt is on? surely the noise would still be there on or off if it is the crank pully?

as you can tell I am not the type to wild guess. I was asked to check the tailgate. this involved continuity checks and stripping down the closer unit. not a 5 min job and something I ended up doing for free it seems.

whoever told you don't worry about the timing chain and they all do it is talking out of there backside. take it from me and no doubt the next Honda dealer you ask. YOUR TIMING CHAIN NEEDS REPLACING. until it is replaced you wont have a clue what else is making a noise! it truly is that bad!

Nice to hear from you Adam, I wouldn't take it personally mate. Some people just have very unrealistic expectations. I get it all the time when people bring cars to me that are near deaths door and expect a remap to solve all their problems.

Many of us have dealt with Holdcroft over the years with nothing but positive experience. There is a reason we support you guys..

Keep up the great work mate.

I'd like to know how a crankshaft pulley is responsible for making a noise without it visibly wobbling

Hi Adam,

Just as an update it was the crank pulley and i asked for the two things to be checked when i left it and was told the price. I didnt however ask for a full check of other billable items to be undertaken, which you usefully pointed out the rear pads required replacement when in fact they we replaced by myself not longer than 2 weeks previously. Why you thought it was the water pump is beyond me, it was silky smooth when i had a feel of the old one, if you had the belt off you could have surely came to that conclusion, plus you should have known the crank pulleys were far more common to fail than the water pumps.

Also the tailgate, i told your service guy it would work after disconnecting the battery for one or two operations which basically in my brief reading up on the subject suggests its the ECU as you came up with, and im not a mechanic.

Some customers are open checkbooks, others not so. I don't mind paying for work however the old guys attitude on reception and the fact i was told two mechanics had spent the best part of a day on the diagnosis only to get it wrong was too much for me. If you get a lot of business from ripping off un-knowledgeable pensioners that's fine but take the rough with the smooth and accept you ****ed up on a few levels here so not only lost the business but got some negative advertising from it. You have compounded the issue by responding, always a mistake as it was brushed under the carpet and the fact you're service guy said he wouldn't do any more work on the car was enough for me to think sod you. Anyhow it seems you have a reputation to upkeep, just not a great one unfortunately.

freddofrog said:
I'd like to know how a crankshaft pulley is responsible for making a noise without it visibly wobbling
I would ask the same...even with belt removed? Will somebody answer what is the logic?

I think your attitude may have been the reason for the refusal of future works Darren. it seems you are a very capable and knowledgeable chap and knew what was wrong in the first place. this being the case surely there is no real need to visit a Honda dealership in the future? your trusty mechanic is more than capable. I wont go into the ins and outs of your visit as I very much doubt anything I say would be agreed on. my reason for replying to your review is to give users of the forum both sides of the story.

i am genuinely pleased replacing the crank pulley has solved your issue. the nature of the fault provides a difficult diagnosis and without the visual cues of obvious separation of the vibration damper makes it more difficult. did the garage who replaced the water pump for you not check the water pump first?
In no way am i or HH out to fleece anyone. diagnosis are formed from what evidence is found at that visit and as much as we try to fix first time can be incorrect on occasion. may i however point out that we are not in the habbit of diagnosing faults on the merit of them being a common fault alone. if i were for instance to say a customer needs a tailgate ecu simply because the customer told me the tailgate works after the battery is disconnected. i would be a poor technician.

thankyou for your honest feedback and update. forum members can happily form an opinion on what has been pointed out.

hmmm....so there is defiantly nothing wrong with the oil pump chain then Darren?

EDIT: It's just that as Stuart Graham Honda in Crewe is part of the Holdcroft group of dealers, and I just find it strange how your car is in there at the moment having a replacement oil pump chain, guides and tensioner.

So it seems nothing is whiter than white on this thread.