What's new

wot does the ...vtech... meant to do

polocoupe79

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord 2.0 vtech
Hi guys sorry to sound dumb but im new to the Honda scene I own a accord. 2.0 vtech auto and was wondering wot it meant

Thanks

Rich

Its a rather clever thing, but the actual effects vary from model to engine.... Essentially:

It means Variable valve timing and lift electronic control and changes the air fuel mix through the engine for better optimisation.

It allows the engine to run smoothly and efficiently at low revs, but opens the valves and what not wider and higher for the time when you want to rag the a7se out of the engine and have some fun.

I am happy to be corrected, but it works by having two sets of lobes on the camshaft. At certain engine loads, a selector changes which set are being used to open the valves. You get more power and more noise without the need for a turbo, or a bigger engine.

Honda was the first to use it, and they have always been masters of small high powered, high revving petrol engines.

Yep Dans correct

Watch this a few times and you get the idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcT_ZyY3F0k

On your car Vtec changes from small lobe to big lobe at 4250rpm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6OAFFIfwrc

:lol: you got the same CD as me then ;).

Now that an engine :ph34r:

i cant help my self... vtech is a childs toy, my daughter has one of their electronic phones.

anywho Vtec is as described above. its a great system that allows the engine to allow different valve settings over a certain rev range to boost hp and torque. If those same valve setting where used lower down the rev range like at idle the engine would be very lumpy and the engine performance would be horrible

Excellent vid!! And to think that change over is happening at nearly 5000RPM! You gotta love that kind of engineering.

And now people we see how important oil is even to you Petrol sniffers!!!!

Its like someone sticking a high lift cam in your engine at 5000 rpm! :lol:

Try getting your head around i-VTEC of the 7th Gen! That took me a few youtube videos. You've got VTEC as normal, but also actuator controlled cam nodes which adjust the cams to change timing according to engine revs and load. Also a valve on the air inlet manifold which changes air flow for more power at high revs. It apparently gives very good fuel efficiency for the power it produces as well as being very environmentally friendly for it's power and size too. Manages a very high air to fuel ratio at low revs.

In my opinion you don't get that VTEC kick that you do with just VTEC systems. The extra VTC and air intake stuff means there are more, subtler power gains as you climb the revs. The overall feel of the engine is very smooth and it very consistently pulls all the way to 7000rpm. You hear the VTEC at 6000rpm for sure, but there isn't that same kick as you're already storming by then ;) .

The boys back at Honda sure are clever ain't they!

Modern V-Tec engines are technically fantastic but are way down on the fun factor.

Drive an EK9 or a DC2 to really experience V-Tec :wub:

The V-Tec transition on my Accord Type R was superb, acted much like a light pressure Turbo in terms of the way it felt.

The transition on an S2000 is more dramatic however after the addition of a cold air intake B)

Yeah the i VTEC I believe doesn't have that same kick, the power's a lot more even from 3500 to 7000, although there is still a noticeable kick at 6000, but I doubt it's as good as the kick you'd get lower down the revs on a standard VTEC. I've read that a cold air intake on the i VTEC is very good for giving that kick at 6000 more power, but it drains torque at low revs apparently, which is what put's me off getting one fitted. I spend 95% of my time driving below 2000rpm to save money. If I lost the torque down there I'd be disappointed.

Why I love my turbo :D

I've been driving a 2000 1.8L VTEC Accord for years and never once 'felt' the VTEC kick in/notice a power boost/change in engine tune......

- I am however sick of pouring petrol into the thing! Any chance the VTEC is, in simple terms, 'stuck' on???

Say this as I met someone recently and asked them had they ever noticed theirs and they hadn't either - just that they were getting 280 miles from brim-full to fuel light......

I don't think it is very noticeable with your engine. the more you try, the more go go juice you'll burn....

I've been driving a 2000 1.8L VTEC Accord for years and never once 'felt' the VTEC kick in/notice a power boost/change in engine tune......

- I am however sick of pouring petrol into the thing! Any chance the VTEC is, in simple terms, 'stuck' on???

Say this as I met someone recently and asked them had they ever noticed theirs and they hadn't either - just that they were getting 280 miles from brim-full to fuel light......

I have had my 2000 1.8 accord for around 3 weeks now and i love the kick i get at 4250 rpm and i find it better than the kick i got in my 2.0 accord i had before and am looking forward to fitting my cai today hopefuly. this is a big car for a 1.8 and if driven right (changing gear at right time and gearing the engine up) i find it pulls really well.. and i find it good on petrol when driven normally....

Vtec is wonderful, but i still think everyone needs to experience the DOHC Vtec kick at least once....but it does get addictive :lol: