What's new

www.easynumberplates.co.uk

OB1

Members
Reaction score
Car
05 diesel saloon
So my rear numberplate fell off the other Friday, due to the dealer only sticking it on with two bits of sticky tape.
Popped into Halfords and the guy wanted £20 for it (although I got the impression he didn't really know what he was talking about). As it was a busy weekend i thought I'd try t'internet. After a bit of searching i came across www.easynumberplates.co.uk. It looked pretty good: £12.99, DVLA registered and they process yours order as soon as they get it to ensure you get your plate asap.
Now, I'm not totally naive and I know you need documents to get a new plate made but I couldn't see anything about that on the site. Wrong. Turns out its in the t&cs (which of course you agree to but don't actually read). Before they'll release your plates you need to send your docs off. Special delivery so thats about a fiver on top of what you've paid. You can't cancel the order because they've already started making your plates and that would be against the distance selling regulations (apparently).
So now I have to send my papers off, which I'm never particularly keen on doing anyway, it's going to cost me extra and I'll be without a number plate while the papers get through the post and they send the plate to me, which could be sometime in the middle of the week.
In the end I decided to cut my losses and waited till the local garage opened on Monday morning and got a plate made on the spot for £8.99. Ok, so it cost me three squid more than sending my docs off but at least they've not got lost in the post / sold to terrorists or whatever. And i got a shedload of tape to stick it on with. Not even a nuclear bomb will shift that thing now.

good result in the end as you say i hate sending things like this in the post.

Sounded like alot of work and hassle!

might wana try this site next time:

http://www.demonplates.com/

used them many times. they do need documents aswell, but you can jsut take a pic on ur phone and mms them, and you will get a comfirmation email almost straight away.

That seems alot easier. I wanted to go with a DVLA registered company to make sure I'd get a kosher plate, not one written on a slice of Ryvita. If they'd been upfront about their requirements they wouldn't have got my money but then I wouldn't be giving them a bad review. I expect there'll be plenty more people like me who've just given up on their £12.99 and gone elsewhere.

i would have thought the distance selling regs work in your favour as you gave the right to cancel.

Yep, the guy down Halfords didn't know what he was talking about.

I've just been and bought some from Halfords and with the England emblem on the side cost £16.49 each. Only took 5 minutes to make. Worth the extra few quid for saving yourself the hassle.

I think a standard plate is about £13 from them.

Matt

I just got mine from eBay. Paid about £7.99 for a pair including delivery. No need to send off docs as although being legal were sold as "show use only."

Its because they don't have the poxy little marking in the corner. Mine are show use only but legal lettering etc. Much easier to buy them online.

Its because they don't have the poxy little marking in the corner. Mine are show use only but legal lettering etc. Much easier to buy them online.

Mine were BS marked even for £7.99.

Just found the seller. Now £8.50 Inc del.

Item no 370510949366

This is who I used on eBay:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/DJH-Number-Plates?_trksid=p4340.l2563

No docs needed, next day delivery and the plates are legally marked. I got front ans rear with euro flag and border for £12 and a few pence delivered.

Used these people numerous times come with postcode and bs marks http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100-Road-Legal-Number-Plate-MOT-Standards-/350463618439?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5199426d87

Used these people numerous times come with postcode and bs marks http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100-Road-Legal-Number-Plate-MOT-Standards-/350463618439?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5199426d87

Same seller as I listed above! :)

Looks like you've all had more luck in getting plates than me! I stayed away from sites offering show plates as many of the "proper" sites had scare stories on how you can fail an MOT / get mahoosive fines if your plates aren't 100% legal. Guess its all scare mongering in the end though. Hopefully someone else can learn from my mistake :(

I used www.fancyplates.com in the past. Ordered plates that had UK font, with a euroband with NI country designation, and a small manfacturers logo on the bottom corner.

No V5 required, though legally they say they are showplates.

Got through several MOTs (GB and NI) without a problem.

It may be that NI regs are less strict than GB though, as here even dealers put numberplates on cars with a bolder 'Metro' font.