What's new

XCARLINK

nebitomi

Members
Reaction score
Car
HONDA ACCORD 2007
HELLO
i thinking abaut xcarlink to buy ,but im not sure some questions!
i have got 2.2 exectuve 2007 ictdi car with sat nav!

sould i buy Y cable IF I buy xcalnink?
how is the sound quality? it is good quality?
and how can i disassemble my car to fit it?
anybody satisfied with it?
can i use my cd changer also after xcarlink installation??

To answer you're questions in order

No
For me, as good as CD
See here http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/4903-another-xcarlink-install/
I was very happy until I sold my car
Yes

As above, I personally would not bother with the Y cable, since fitting Xcarlink in mine ( I bought the Y cable aswell) I have never bothered with the CD changer and Xcarlink interferes with it anyway and it makes an awful feedback noise anyway

I've got an xcarlink too mate and I think its great. I have the bluetooth kit too which gives me handsfree calling but also allows me to play music etc from my phone via bluetooth. Amazing kit and have had it for 3 years+ now.
Installation is not too hard, just be careful not to scratch the dashboard etc.

No
For me, as good as CD
Yes
how will work my cd changer ,if i pull out the white cable from back,and put the xcarlink cable to the same pleace????

No
For me, as good as CD
Yes

Thank you Dave for the link - it was a good refresher.
Have been thinking about changing my car and decided yesterday that I would remove my Xcarlink USB.
Only took a half hour.

Charlie

Why not. If you`re part-exing the car like me you probably could get a bit more for a private sale. I took all of my bits and pieces out including my road tax and after selling it all I got almost another £500 on top of my part ex price which for me got it near to what I thought was the real value of the car.

Figured I'd add my question to this old thread rather than start a new one. I know there's probably been a billion xcarlink questions, but I've got some more. (Someone should collate them all and make a sticky.......)

I've got a facelift with the Satnav, so built in CD player and HFT. Now, I'm looking to install xcarlink. I'm ***uming that it won't interfere with the built in CD changer, as it's not classed as an auxiliary unit by the headunit, I'm guessing? Secondly, is the USB/generic MP3 player unit as good as the dedicated ipod unit? I ask because literally all of my music is listening to via Spotify these days, so I don't have anything in iTunes or physical files I can put onto an SD card. So I'd be wanting to either run Spotify through my phone (Nexus 4), or if necessary I'll buy a cheap ipod touch with Spotify. Thirdly, I'm guessing that it will handle music played through Spotify just as well as music played through iTunes? So my Spotify playlists will work, volume/skip buttons on the headunit and steering wheel will still work etc?

Think that's all my questions for now.

If you connect via 3.5 jack you can't skip using car controls, you can only control volume(obviously). Iphone/ipod will be able to skip songs with car controls.

Ok, I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm going to ***ume the following:

The controls between the steering wheel/head unit are a particular language of code protocol. I don't know what it is.

The XCarlink for iPods and/or SD Card/USB translates this code to talk the language the iPod or SD Card need to work with regards track skipping, playlist skipping. I highly doubt this will work a Spotify app on an iPhone as it probably uses its own protocol and is not designed to be remotely controlled by a different user interface.

I could be totally wrong. However, if it did work with Spotify, I imagine the XCarlink guys would be selling it on that merit also. It wouldn't be something they'd keep quiet ;) .

Hmmm, I'll have to drop them an email them.

I literally own no music at all now as I listen to everything via Spotify, so needing the physical files in iTunes or on an SD card doesn't work in my instance.

Quick question regards the xcarlink usb.....is there a maximum number of folders that it can read, I think I remember reading that it can only handle 99 files per folder, but just how many folders ??

Cheers

I'd guess it's 99 tracks per playlist and 99 playlists. But I don't know, I'm just guessing based on the number of display characters on the centre console display.

On my iPod interface, I can have more than 100 tracks in a playlist. But track skipping gets very confused once you go beyond 99 and tends to do funny things. Might be the same case with the USB/SD Card version :unsure: .

Lol... not sure how to answer then for you to understand :) dude, spotify from your phone (your nexus 4) will play, but because you connect via 3.5 jack you can't skip songs or in any other way control your phone.

Indeed. The 3.5mm Jack is simply an ****ogue audio line and no data commands can be sent. The volume controls on the wheel are for the amplifier. The track skip is a data command interpreted by the head unit to change track/radio station.

The Xcarlink takes this data from track skip commands and translates them into a data format that the music application on your iPod/iPhone understands. However it will be scripted/coded for the default music players and I find it highly unlikely that it will work with Spotify. By all means try it, or email the people at Xcarlink about it, but I'd be very surprised if it did work with Spotify.,

As I said in my earlier post:

Ok, I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm going to ***ume the following:

The controls between the steering wheel/head unit are a particular language of code protocol. I don't know what it is.

The XCarlink for iPods and/or SD Card/USB translates this code to talk the language the iPod or SD Card need to work with regards track skipping, playlist skipping. I highly doubt this will work a Spotify app on an iPhone as it probably uses its own protocol and is not designed to be remotely controlled by a different user interface.

I could be totally wrong. However, if it did work with Spotify, I imagine the XCarlink guys would be selling it on that merit also. It wouldn't be something they'd keep quiet ;) .

I have emailed Xcarlink about it but they did the typical thing of answering the last question in an email that contained 5-6 questions.

I basically wanted to know if it was the use of Spotify the software, or the way it which you connect the device to the headunit, that determines whether or not it works.

For example, track skip might not work when the device is connected via the 3.5mm jack, but what about via bluetooth? Or on an ipod via the standard ipod connection?

I'm basically prepared to buy whatever hardware is needed and connect it in whatever way is required, if it allows me to use Spotify. If no combination of hardware/connection allows me use Spotify then I'll look for another solution.

I have xcarlink with 3.5 jack and iphone cconnection. Spotify worked on iPhone and I was able to skip tracks through car controls on steering wheel. Now got galaxy s4 and using 3.5 jack, so it plays, but can't control phone, obviously ;)

Result! So Spotify will work on iPhone via XCarlink with steering wheel controls. I'd say that's an awesome result!

Looks like you better get ordering an XCarlink for your iPhone then Christopher ;) .

Thanks for the info Tolik.

Ok ok, so an android phone needs to be connected to xcarlink via the 3.5 jack, not the USB connection? And then it won't allow you to control Spotify via the car's controls?

However, you can control Spotify via the car's controls, when using an ipod?

So if I want to use Spotify and maintain control via the car, I need to use an ipod and not my Nexus 4?

Because, if I cannot control Spotify on any device, then I'd may as well just buy an FM plugin receiver for my phone instead of Xcarlink

Not sure if I should post this as a new question. I bought the SKU703 Bluetooth xcarlink direct from manufacturer. I took the accord apart yesterday and plugged it in to the CD changer port. Nothing happened. The HU will not recognise that there is anything plugged in to the CD changer port. If you try to press the button to go to the CD changer it just does nothing.

Has anyone else experienced this? I had an ICE engineer come out to look at it and he concluded that the xcarlink must be a DOA.

Any ideas gratefully received.

AdamW said:
Not sure if I should post this as a new question. I bought the SKU703 Bluetooth xcarlink direct from manufacturer. I took the accord apart yesterday and plugged it in to the CD changer port. Nothing happened. The HU will not recognise that there is anything plugged in to the CD changer port. If you try to press the button to go to the CD changer it just does nothing.

Has anyone else experienced this? I had an ICE engineer come out to look at it and he concluded that the xcarlink must be a DOA.

Any ideas gratefully received.
I have bought mine do you think buying Y cable will resolve issue?

wahabishtiaq said:
I have bought mine do you think buying Y cable will resolve issue?
For me it was resolved when xcarlink sent me a new one. Worked first time when I plugged it in (unlike the first one) and been great ever since.