What's new

2.2 I-CTDI Management Light/Hesitation/Non-starting

Fuel rail refitted, belt on and engine fired up with a bit of prompting with the fuel bulb. Drive and hesitation still seems to be there, however...

Drove again to work the next day and it hesitated a little bit *sigh*. Have driven it since and so far no hesitation. I've got a code reader recording data each drive to try and catch it should it do it again. I'll keep this thread updated. Thank you all so much for your help and advice!

Attachments

• IMG_20210930_171308_sm.jpg
    IMG_20210930_171308_sm.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 5
Fingers crossed. Maybe it was just some air bleeding through

Update

The hesitation fault now appears significantly more intermittent than before. Seems more apparent in the colder mornings, again when the engine warms up. Coolant temperature approx 1/4 up from cold. Management light came on this time with a reasonably large jolt and it's showing P0340 (Crankshaft Sensor, No Signal).

That might now actually be a sticking egr rather than a fuelling issue. The crank error most likely due to a missing signal when it’s misfiring.

I was considering the code to be a false lead, as I think you said in an earlier reply. What's the best way to test the EGR?

Sounds like you have access to a code reader so can clear any errors. Temporarily blank the egr at the front face of the intake manifold. Take it for a run. It will go into limp but before it does see if it feels better.

Did a live record on my way into work this morning. The EGR valve was still connected as it should be. Can't say I really felt any proper hesitations but I'm a little sus about the data recorded. Any thoughts with this trace?

EGR Status appears to fluctuate randomly from 0 to 14, not sure what these figures represent, possibly an ON/OFF situation.

The EGR Duty figures fluctuate as I would expect a sensor to deliver. They range normally in the 30%-40% range but drop to a nominal 4.71% in line with the Status dropouts. Faulty EGR?

Edit

Checked The Status and Duty against the Fuel Rail Px and MAP (kPa) and noticed a corrolation. There are noticeable spikes when the EGR does its thing.

Attachments

• EGR_1.jpg
    EGR_1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 6
  • EGR_3.jpg
    EGR_3.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Your live data isn’t showing what your egr is actually doing, it’s showing what it’s being commanded to do. If it’s sticking or slow operating which is common on these then it will exhibit the issue you’re facing. That’s why I suggested temporarily blanking it.

Last edited:
As I said in my first post, blank it on the face of the inlet manifold. Just make a plate using some thin metal or buy one from eBay. Or alternatively you can book it in with me.

Apologies for missing that, I'll fabricate one and get back to you.

Did the injector flow back test yesterday, nothing really to report. No.2 appears to be leaking slightly more than the others. I did notice this however. The IPC shows a cylinder similar in design to others around the bay and residue of some adhesive. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20211015_113814_edit.jpg
    IMG_20211015_113814_edit.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG-20211017-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20211017-WA0002.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 13
Your egr actuator is broken. It’s missing the little diaphragm which will affect vacuum pressure and therefore how frequently and cleanly the egr operates.

For the 3rd and final time, try blanking your egr.

Thanks for everyone's help. Did a little more digging with the scanner and have replaced the crankshaft sensor. All fixed, fault is no longer showing itself.