What's new

2.2 i-ctdi oil questions

If it can be arranged, I would also like to get one of these guest 'guardian angels' to come to my defence whenever the other boys are picking on me. Thanks.

I also can't see where anyone is recommending a particular brand over another?

Honda's primary reason for recommending 0w/30 for the ICTDI is not 'just' economy, but yes it's one of the factors. Why does it even need to be a debate? It's the most appropriate oil for this engine, why use anything else??

Jon - sorry if it feels like you've been picked on, it's absolutely not my intention if that was directed at me. I personally really value your opinions, but possibly we don't always see eye to eye (and that's no bad thing mate).

Cheers

I also can't see where anyone is recommending a particular brand over another?

Honda's primary reason for recommending 0w/30 for the ICTDI is not 'just' economy, but yes it's one of the factors. Why does it even need to be a debate? It's the most appropriate oil for this engine, why use anything else??

Jon - sorry if it feels like you've been picked on, it's absolutely not my intention if that was directed at me. I personally really value your opinions, but possibly we don't always see eye to eye (and that's no bad thing mate).

Cheers
Hi Faddy. My attempt at humour wasn't aimed at you - I know we don't always agree, but I've certainly never felt picked on (although I've sometimes been worried that my technical arguments have maybe caused minor upset). I really quite like this place!

Back to the topic, I thought it was a good question by the OP. And I think I learnt something.

It was, and all good humour from my readings. It would be interesting to see what was used in the engines that died... some threads I recall do state this.... but I am in the bath and sooooo can't be bothered to look :D.

iCDTI Gen 7 facelift - Oil change coming up - dropping Honda servicing now car is 6+ years old - got a genuine Honda oil filter (and removal tool/torque wrench) but a bit confused about best oil to buy. Any comments on this one?

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-69391-castrol-edge-0w-30-fst-a5b5-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

I went for this lost last http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/genuine-honda-accord-diesel-major-plus-service-kit-0608-p-1219.html
I got fed up with Honda constantly putting 0w/35 in. Now its also 6+ yrs old, i attempted to do it myself. :eek:

iCDTI Gen 7 facelift - Oil change coming up - dropping Honda servicing now car is 6+ years old - got a genuine Honda oil filter (and removal tool/torque wrench) but a bit confused about best oil to buy. Any comments on this one?

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-69391-castrol-edge-0w-30-fst-a5b5-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

It's a good oil, I used it for my first oil change. I've since decided to use the cheap Lubetech oil (in the 25l drum) and change it every 3k or so, so it's up to you but I think my above point stands - change the oil to 0w30 fully synthetic as often as you can (more often if you do a lot of short journeys like me), and don't worry about which brand you buy.

It's a good oil, I used it for my first oil change. I've since decided to use the cheap Lubetech oil (in the 25l drum) and change it every 3k or so, so it's up to you but I think my above point stands - change the oil to 0w30 fully synthetic as often as you can (more often if you do a lot of short journeys like me), and don't worry about which brand you buy.

Thanks for the replies - I'll go for the Castrol then

I've just done an Oil change on my car (Diesel). Now I'm a bit nerdy on engine oils, and did a lot (far too much) research into which engine oil to get. My 'thinking' is based on all my years of being a car nut, and always wanting the best for my car(s). I considered the top end (ie expensive) oils like Castrol Edge, Fuchs, at about £45/4L, and the cheaper ones like CarLube (£25/5l). I even emailed Oil companies to ask them to clarify specs etc etc. Everyone on here seemed to reccomend Lubetech at £100 for 25Litres, initially I was dubious about an 'unheard' of brand, but I looked into it, contacted them, researched a bit more, then ordered a 25L Drum. There have been quite a few owners on here who stated that the engines ran quiter and smoother after using Lubetech, I was dubious, but feck me.....It is definitely quiter and smoother.

So really the above waffly post should have been written as......

Don't feck about wasting time Guys, use Exol 0w30.

I've just done an Oil change on my car (Diesel). Now I'm a bit nerdy on engine oils, and did a lot (far too much) research into which engine oil to get. My 'thinking' is based on all my years of being a car nut, and always wanting the best for my car(s). I considered the top end (ie expensive) oils like Castrol Edge, Fuchs, at about £45/4L, and the cheaper ones like CarLube (£25/5l). I even emailed Oil companies to ask them to clarify specs etc etc. Everyone on here seemed to reccomend Lubetech at £100 for 25Litres, initially I was dubious about an 'unheard' of brand, but I looked into it, contacted them, researched a bit more, then ordered a 25L Drum. There have been quite a few owners on here who stated that the engines ran quiter and smoother after using Lubetech, I was dubious, but feck me.....It is definitely quiter and smoother.

So really the above waffly post should have been written as......

Don't feck about wasting time Guys, use Exol 0w30.

:lol: Like your style