What's new

2.2 i-DTEC EX - Any known issues/servicing?

Paulq

Reaction score
Car
BMW
Hi all

Hope I can ask some advice please.

Am potentially looking at a 12 plate i-DTEC EX, full history and looks nice and clean from a main agent though am also considering a couple of other marques. Before I go and take a look and start talking numbers are there any specific issues I should look out for and be aware of? If I buy it I’ll plan to keep hold of it for a good while and look after it.

On that note what are the service intervals (and if anyone can point e towards pdfs of the schedules that’s even better) and what are the typical servicing costs at a main agent?

Sorry for so many questions – I just want to make sure I know what to look for

Thanks in advance.

Coming from a main dealer, the above shouldn't be an issue. there is a service reminder system that can be set up on the car that'll indicate what service items need replacing and when.

Check if the car hasn't already got a service package attached, as in, pre-bought services against the car.

If you're not already aware of dpf's, they're generally no good for city driving, they need some motorway munching to keep it clear....

As above. Check under rubber seal of sunroof for rust. If dealer wont sort it Im sure its easy enough to take out and rust proof it as its been done by a member some where.

DPF. See if its had any forced regens. If its had a few it may need a new DPF. Honda had a software update to fix this. Youll need the car plugged in at honda to check. I wouldnt trust their database as it can say its had an update when it hasn't.

Egr pipe would be checked by dealer.

windscreen trim should of been checked by dealer too.

Speakers are known to blow. Its really easy to change them for better ones.

As others have said, only get diesel if doing motorway miles, I had a 2.2ex that went through 3 forced regens in a year and was then advised a new dpf required at cost of £1200, this on a car with 65,000 miles. I did 2 motorway journeys a week but not enough, I'd say over 50% motorway work required to keep it clear. I also had the update but it does not stop it clogging if mostly town work, go for the petrol if this is the case, cheaper to buy and mpg would not be far off.

I don't do any motorway. I used to drive on a fast B road 60mph+ but now it's a slower B road 40mph to 60 if I'm lucky. I've still no dpf issues. If a cars had a few regens it's been said it knackers the DPF which I believe is untrue. One owner reprogrammed the ecu so the dpf regenerates sooner. THat seems to have worked. Others eventually had a ecu up date which seemed to fix it too. No need for new dpf. I think there may have possibley been 2 ecu updates hence dealers got it wrong when they checked to see if a car was up to date or not.

My car has been remapped so maybe that has helped with keeping the dpf clean? Who knows. I did over 4 months with out the remap to make sure dpf was fine then had it mapped. I use 0w30 oil too.

With the amount of Honda's I get through the workshop, I think you've just been lucky Jason.

Had one last week (a member here) who had a new DPF from Honda, lasted about 10 months before he had issues again. Had it regenned at Honda.. then had it regenned by me a few weeks later... then had it regenned again a week later at which point they flashed this so called magic software update... and less than a week after that he was on the phone to me booking it in for a removal because the light was on again!

And this really is typical of these cars.

I hope yours holds out, but don't be shocked if you start having issues at some point.

Once removed, they are a very enjoyable and reliable cars.

I really must be lucky, though I'm not complaining. If I did ever have dpf trouble I'd just get it removed.

I think having the right oil and blowing the cob webs out once a or twice a year seems to be working just fine, Even with short journeys. I've tried every type of fuel too. It makes no difference what so ever, thank god.

Paulq said:
Hi all

Hope I can ask some advice please.

Am potentially looking at a 12 plate i-DTEC EX, full history and looks nice and clean from a main agent though am also considering a couple of other marques. Before I go and take a look and start talking numbers are there any specific issues I should look out for and be aware of? If I buy it I’ll plan to keep hold of it for a good while and look after it.

On that note what are the service intervals (and if anyone can point e towards pdfs of the schedules that’s even better) and what are the typical servicing costs at a main agent?

Sorry for so many questions – I just want to make sure I know what to look for

Thanks in advance.
Check out this thread regarding the sunroof rust problem:
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/16914-another-rusty-sunroof/

Specifically, look at post #17. slide the sunroof open halfway and look up at the front underside and see if there is any rust visible. It is a bit difficult to see because your eyes become accustomed to the light coming through the open part of the sunroof which makes everything else look dark and you cannot see the rust. It was only when I took a picture of it with the camera flash on that revealed the extent of the rust as shown in that post.