What's new

2.4 Exec, can't keep it in Petrol?

Si74

Members
Reaction score
Car
2003 exec tourer
Briefly had a 2.0 ltr exec and loved it. Dozy mechanic missed the fact the cooling fan sensor was goosed.
Even with a blown head gasket it still lasted me a few months and wasn't brutal on petrol.
New 2.4 is killing me, it eats fuel at an alarming rate, usual Honda gauge drops like a stone at the end so
difficult to actually tell the m.p.g. but I reckon my mates V8 Vantage is more frugal than my new toy.
Goes like stink, no warning lights and a telephone directory history all from a Honda main dealers.
My old Civic had me scratching my head, how can a 1.4 ltr use as much petrol till it failed the emissions,
new Lambda Sensor and it was like a different car, went like a rocket and used way less fuel.
Can't find any record of new LS in the history, now at 97K. Would new ones help as it's alarming
how much juice it uses, in no way helped by how much I love when the v-tec kicks in,lol.

Is vehicle manual of auto also any examples of how many miles to litres of fuel or cost of fill up will allow us to give a more precise answer I easily get 45 miles for 7.75litres which is £10 of super unleaded giving me around 26mpg by the way I live in london.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Thats US mpg. Their 31.3 mpg average is 37.5mpg in our money.

I'd be pretty impressed if a 2.4 was getting that.

I got 30+ on some long runs and I think it's possible to achieve more on a long cruise, hopefully will get the chance to try it out next year. Maintenance is key. Make sure filters are clean, oil is good, plugs are not old and manky, tyres are of reasonable quality and pressurised for optimal rolling resistance etc etc. Lots of basic things can improve mpg including driving style. Of course I find myself using my right foot more and more with all that power under my right foot!

I find it very hard to see what mpg I'm getting without running a full tank empty. It's an auto which doesn't help but all filters and oil good, was serviced in January with a lot spent on it so would hope the plugs are fine. I check the tyre pressures regularly and most of the driving is urban but doubt very much that I'm getting even 24mpg.I swapped the wheels from the 2ltr over temporarily and was shocked at how much more they weighed than the Pentas. Will try a new set of plugs and maybe have the emissions tested as it wouldn't take long to recoup the price of new lambda sensors at the rate it's eating petrol. And there's me thinking my RS Turbo was gutsy:)

a full tank empty

something out of interest different fuel stations give me different power and different miles per gallon and massive change in performance of car. I have found shell and jet to be the fastest and best mpg i know shell contains ethanol and some jet stations am conducting a test on another forum will post results once done.

Si74 said:
I find it very hard to see what mpg I'm getting without running a full tank empty.
Not necessary to be completely empty. When warning lamp goes on, fill the tank to full, reset B counter, next time do the same. So then is easy to calculate MPG, you know how many miles (B counter) you did with topped up petrol to full.

I too have found inconsistencies with filling up at different stations, seems go for better quality fuels maybe avoid over diluted supermarket cr*p. Currently I'm trying out premium unleaded as suggested in another post. If you're doing all urban/town driving then what you are getting (around 24mpg?) is probably about right, it is a 2.4, people don't usually buy the 2.4 if they are worried excessively about fuel consumption. Some say you can gain a few mpg by turning off the a/c but to me comfort over rides the stingy need to recover a few mpg so the a/c is on all the time, ***isting in dehumidifying during winter as well as keeping all cool in summer. I used to have a 1.8 Avensis which gave me 30mpg around town but for the sake of 5mpg I'd rather have 190horses to play with ;o) and a quieter engine at motorway speeds along with better drive than an Avensis.

"was serviced in January with a lot spent on it so would hope the plugs are fine"

Hoping a garage checks plugs during a service is probably a bit optimistic unless they are going to change them. If you ask 'the usual suspect' garages to do a service they'll probably change your oil, bash the air filter against a wall, wash & vac the car, have a nose around, bit of grease here and there and say "there you go all serviced"

​Getting emissions checked will give an indication to health of things, so this is something worth doing for sanity sake if anything else.

Dodgy MAF might also give poor mpg.........

Scoobydoo glad I'm not the only one am looking for volunteers to help with experiment will conduct various tests and record results

I think the lambda is a good shout. I replaced mine earlier this year when I changed my exhaust. I don't measure MPG so I can't quote numbers but I've noticed it's not as thirsty. If you get one Opie Olls sell the Denso ones for £80-odd but they are £200 odd in a Honda box.

honda_saj said:
Pretty much how I do it. I just reset the trip after fill up, fill up at the same petrol station and being pedantic try to get the same pump (this works if the garage is a local one) then convert the litres to gallons, mileage covered/gallons used.
Just gotta remember the litres to gallon conversion for UK is different to US. I think we are 4.55 litres to one gallon?

Miles divided by litres, multiplied by 4.55

24mpg (imperial not US) for Urban driving is not too far off the mark for the specifications. 24-28mpg, if I recall from memory. You are two things going against you with the 2.4. One is the autobox and the other is the Tourer's weight/shape, all of which add to the fuel consumption of the car.

While urban is very subjective in terms of driving terrain, on a flat motorway on my 2.4 manual, I would average 30-32mpg. That would be holding it circa 75mph for a few hours. The autobox has a lock-up mechanism which moves it towards manual efficiencies when cruising. This may be your best way to test.

As an aside, I had an issue once where our Stream was drinking petrol for some reason (a 2 litre autobox getting 21mpg!) it actually turned out to be the knock sensor. Basically the timing was retarded to a point where the piston had passed TDC before the ignition was fired... it results in no noticeable lack of power, but did it seriously drink petrol.

No issues on the dash, no other signs, other than an ECU read out of timing...

Interesting no engine management light ?

jayok said:
As an aside, I had an issue once where our Stream was drinking petrol for some reason (a 2 litre autobox getting 21mpg!) it actually turned out to be the knock sensor.
How did you find out it was faulty?

The timing wouldn't advance... so couldn't figure it out, then eventually the knock sensor threw an error. But this was in the middle of a load of messing with the car, so I wasn't sure, if it was my messing or the actual sensor. Swapped in an another, and timing resolved... pure fluke than anything technical.

jayok said:
The timing wouldn't advance... so couldn't figure it out, then eventually the knock sensor threw an error. But this was in the middle of a load of messing with the car, so I wasn't sure, if it was my messing or the actual sensor. Swapped in an another, and timing resolved... pure fluke than anything technical.
OK, thanks.
Where is that sensor, is it easy accessible? Have you got a picture?

@honda_saj

Some preliminary results for mpg on Shell V-Power;

260miles covered
9.2 Gallons used (same gas station for fill up)
mpg= 28.2

200miles - Motorway
60miles - in town, moderate traffic, some idling, light foot.

A/C on, heated seats on, lights on, heaters on. (most of the time cos it's been freaking cold!)
I am a heavy bar steward too at 6'4" and 'big boned' lol
I got a crate in the boot with some emergency repair stuff in case of breakdown and a space saver wheel in the boot.
Tyre pressures 32/32, 205/55/16's

Off on a jaunt this weekend will see how we get on. I still reckon motorway only could achieve over 30mpg easily.

Thanks Scooby doo any more volunteers ?

The knock sensor is underneath the intake manifold and a PITA to get too. The service manual call for the removal of the manifold but screw that. I was able to get at it from under the car, it needed some contortions but doable.

If you have a OBD reader you could look the the timing advance to give you an idea.

jayok said:
If you have a OBD reader you could look the the timing advance to give you an idea.
Sorry, what is PITA? :)
I've got an android app Torque but don't remember if it shows timing... Anyway next year I will buy HDS diagnostic cable and will see what happen.

PITA = pain in the a** :)

I had a HDS so I too can't remember if you can see with the ELM327 based ones

@honda_saj

More results for mpg on Shell V-Power (after jaunt to Cornwall);
(2.4 Petrol Auto Tourer, inc case there was confusion on the last result)

290miles covered
8.35 Gallons used (different fill up station & location though)
mpg= 34.7

275miles - Motorway.
15miles - in town, no traffic.

Unfortunately the trouble n strife beat me to the keys and decided to take it upon herself to drive. Lets just say she doesn't like sitting at an economical 70mph cruise on motorway and gets a little 'enthusiastic'. Had a few steep inclines to overcome too and you know the auto box likes to change down and rev up when it finds these and on cruise mode.

A/C on, heated seats on, lights on, heaters on. (most of the time cos it's been freaking cold!)
Two fat bar stewards, NSF & OSF.
I got a crate in the boot with some emergency repair stuff in case of breakdown and a space saver wheel in the boot. Plus overnight bag this time and a jump starter.
Tyre pressures 32/32, 205/55/16's

According to some Autotrader results they quote these mpg's for this type of vehicle:
Urban mpg: 19.8 mpg
Extra Urban mpg: 37.7 mpg
Average mpg: 28.2 mpg

If it were me I could probably have got a few mpg more out of her (car not strife!). Hitting near 35mpg is good according to the type of driving we were doing and if I could squeeze a few more mpg out on my driving style with the accessories on as they were 36-37 is doable me thinks. With the accessories off, empty vehicle probably hitting the 37.7 quoted is achievable.

[SIZE=11pt]Gonna switch back to standard unleaded and see what I get on that.[/SIZE]

Great stuff will record results am interested in getting a comparison of fuels.

I use to have both the 2ltr (facelift k20z2) and an 03 k24 type s. The 2ltr I get 45miles with £10 and the 2.4 I get 40 miles, both with vpower and that is mainly all city driving stop/start etc

Just a note I tried Tesco Momentum Unleaded, their own premium fuel, it was only 3p more than the standard fuel. I think it was 98 or 99 RON, can't recall what it said on the pump. Anyhow out of Shell V-Power, BP Ultimate and the Tesco Momentum the biggest difference in response, power, smoothness I had was on the Tesco Momentum! I read somewhere that they use additional ethanol to boost the RON or something. Anyhow still on standard UL whilst I collate some mpg figures but will be using Tesco Momentum again in the future. Bit of a surprise though I must say.

I have the cm2 tourer executive auto/tiptronic with k24a3 motor and with a full tank of Tesco momentum I got 273miles out of it until the fuel light came on, that was mostly driving around town stopping and going through traffic lights and a couple of 30 mile journeys which I thought was absolutely shocking compared to my old bb1 h22a prelude which I could get around 400-450 miles per tank with modifications and a heavy right foot so I'm thinking I may have a fueling problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk